Resource icon

Cars Physics reworked for the two Maserati 250F 2019-09-13

Login or Register an account to download this content
better modelled without a transverse link

There is no better model than the exact DeDion which is not supported in Assetto. To my amazement Horizon 4 has such support albeit it is an arcade.

The transverse leaf spring already doubles as symmetrical locating links on both sides. "LEAF_SPRING_LAT_K=350000" represents that. If you want less lateral movement in the rear arms - make the number bigger than 350 kN/mm.

Unless AC's visual model is incorrect, the transverse leaf spring is definitely not being used for lateral support. It has drop links to prevent that.
The norm for De Dion tubes is to use a slider on the chassis that the middle of the tube rides in, so it can only go up and down, not left or right.

I guess you're referring to FH4 letting you set camber? That doesn't really mean they have a better simulation happening...

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, the same applies to Ferrari GTO 250. If you "activate" the 5th link, it becomes much more stable, and therefore faster (no need for excessive amount of front toe-in anymore). Stability for rear Roll Center is the key here.

Unless AC's visual model is incorrect, the transverse leaf spring is definitely not being used for lateral support. It has drop links to prevent that.
The norm for De Dion tubes is to use a slider on the chassis that the middle of the tube rides in, so it can only go up and down, not left or right.

I guess you're referring to FH4 letting you set camber? That doesn't really mean they have a better simulation happening...

Being as curious as ever I looked into the file structure of FH4 and was surprised to see scripts for De Dion and more exotic types of suspensions.

The transverse leaf spring is being used for lateral support in the simplest and lightest versions of the De Dion such as that for racing. I believe the Wikipedia article is correct.

That might be true in general but on this car in particular the drop links are set up in a way where the leaf spring cannot apply lateral forces to the axle.

913dZ7DXpxL.jpg

They are spherical joints, it is positioned laterally with a slider in the centre of the tube, like I said.

Inkedmas250al_LI_01.jpg

Look like a sliding mechanism that allows the De Dion tube to go up and down or tilt, eliminating the lateral displacement, pointed out in earlier thread.

Here is the De Dion suspension in the rear of in Caterham Academy.
Capture.JPG

Can we reduce the 2 radius tubes on each corner to 1 radius arm? Or would that be completely off?

I tried this and the 12 cylinder is great, but the 6 cylinder car still wobbles back and forth like there wasn't a change.
Are you sure you selected "Maserati 250F" which is the mod and not "Maserati 250F 6 cylinder" which is the Kunos` official car?

In my experience the best place to test for wobble is "Barcelona GP". There the long corners and long flat straights show exactly how much is the tendency of the car to sway.

To understand how much of it is dependent on the tires you may try this "data" for the 6 -cyl and change tires in session

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 101 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 76 9.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 51 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.6%