Physics question: Wrong brake technique?

I have been thinking to this for a pretty long time (since I was first playing simulators to seeing live car crashes)...

Why does the car slow down quicker using the simple brakes (with either ABS or without) than using brake+hand brake?

Or do they really slow it down?

I mean... how can the rear wheels make the car's slowing down time get longer if they are on ? Tried to find a solution to this but couldn't figure it out.

btw: I don't think this belongs to "Other PC Simracing" because I'm not talking here about games. I'm talking about reality and real physics.

• Robert Adair

I have been thinking to this for a pretty long time (since I was first playing simulators to seeing live car crashes)...

Why does the car slow down quicker using the simple brakes (with either ABS or without) than using brake+hand brake?

Or do they really slow it down?

I mean... how can the rear wheels make the car's slowing down time get longer if they are on ? Tried to find a solution to this but couldn't figure it out.

btw: I don't think this belongs to \\\\\\\\\\"Other PC Simracing\\\\\\\\\\" because I'm not talking here about games. I'm talking about reality and real physics.

Your question is a bit confusing because you refere to the footbrake as simple when it is more sophisticated than the handbrake... Most cars when the footbrake is applied uses hydraulics to create friction between the brakeparts on all 4 wheels, the handbrake uses a cable to create friction between the same (but usually rear wheels only) brake parts, the cable pressure can never equal the hydrualic pressure, the (rear) wheels would lock first anyway. By applying the handbrake at the sametime as the footbrake you may SLIGHTLY bias the rear wheel braking more, but I think not enough to make the cars stopping less efficient (or more).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 286 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%