Cars Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 work in progress - Physics by Arch

Good news is that the interior is working well with the game engine
1582646898281.png

As is the first test... YES I KNOW CAR BODY PAINT IS TRASH... I've still dont unwraped and Ambientocclusioned it (does that word exist?) so now I will start with the damn hated UVs that makes me cry, then steering wheel and instruments.
1582647185544.png

Speaking of which, if you need help with some skins, I'd be happy to help.
[/QUOTE]
Sup mate! Yeah, Ive worked more on the UVs, but Im really weak for that kind of "public UVS that are used for the people to make the skins... are you good at unwrapping? I think that it would be nice to get a hand on that subject by some expert

please also add a Paypal link!!
Good idea, Ill add it to the car mod post!

On the physics side, I redid the rear geometry today, for a bit better behavior. It's a twist beam + 0 sweep angle trailing arm, so there is no wheel angle change in jounce, but there is some in roll, towards the bad direction. I think the ideal way is to find the best cornering vs squat/lift compromise, and I think I'm pretty much there.

I had it working before on the older rears, but they kept popping out from jumps and stuff due to the short arms and short vertical distance between control arms, and the behavior wasn't as optimal as it could be, so this new one is a bit better on both fronts.

Apart from that, corrected front rollbar diameter and figured out the heights for the versions of the cars. Turns out they also lowered the rear in the sporty cars.

Sup mate! Yeah, Ive worked more on the UVs, but Im really weak for that kind of "public UVS that are used for the people to make the skins... are you good at unwrapping? I think that it would be nice to get a hand on that subject by some expert
I'm definately no unwrapping master :laugh: I believe there are plugins to do most work, but I've never used any.
Also, my unwrapping days were in the NFS4 era.. just slightly less details to worry about haha

Can't wait to try it out. Looks amazing.
I'm currently making a Citroën C15, it uses a trailing arm too, and it's a pain to correctly map.
When it comes out, you can take a look at how I made the rear ARB and geometry to get an idea. I'm doing some serious approximations on the twist beam (I honestly don't even know how to calculate the complex ones; probably you can't with consumer software) and the results are very satisfactory.

Okay, so still WIP but UVs has evolved a little bit, I will work on it more, but if there's any Unwrapping expert here, I would be very Thankfull for some unwrapping help :)
View attachment 352099
View attachment 352100
View attachment 352102
looking really good !
i can't stand this process... i learned a lot between the caterham and the singer, but damn... it's always such a pain
and i'll tell you what i think Dan told me about the unwrap, if it rather clean, and that there's no overlapping faces then it's good enough. There aren't magic tools anywhere. You always have to struggle making it more straight and linear. But now that the skinners can paint in photoshop using 3D, those easy tools can be a bit more appreciated, which makes our life a little easier...

-- what stereo said below ^^

Last edited:
To be more specific about overlap, you want to maximize space between islands (and match similar to similar, eg. put the door next to the quarter panel) so when the car is farther away and it decreases texture resolution, you don't get much bleeding over.

As long as the checker pattern is all squares then it's fine though, that's all skinners need. (worst instance I see is the mirrors where the squares get smaller, makes it hard to paste logos on nicely)

Meanwhile I'm trying not to blow my brains out figuring out what the correct way to estimate twist beam rate is. It drives pretty well, but it'll drive pretty well even with 100% error, really.

It's a multi-segmented piece with various outside (and inside?) diameters, but at least it's shaped like a tube. Completely unknown how much the bushings affect the rate (According to scientific papers, they do greatly and it's a design parameter for harshness and stiffness) and also completely unknown how much flex affects the rate, apart from "It does".

At least it's acceptable in a +-500% range. :roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back