Pet hates in motorsport commentary

Not digging the Will Buxton hate here, the man is a legend. I love him and Phillipi on commentary for GP2 races. I love his enthusiasm and praise he has for good moves "Ohh Alexander that was lovely mate" - brilliant.

I know it's not F1, but in NASCAR there is an announcer on the Fox network who screams BOOGITY BOOGITY at the start of EVERY race. It's so stupid, it's actually funny sometimes.

Thank the powers above this Sunday marks the last time I hear that this year. :O_o:

:roflmao: That's Darrell Waltrip, and I have watched many races in which he has always gotten that line in.

He made a funny blunder during the Talladega race last month, when he was discussing the pit strategies of the drivers. He had said that they were obviously going to need to pit soon, then he started stuttering, and finally said "it was, um, it's as... clear... as......... mud." :roflmao:

What I don't like is when a commentator - in any form of motorsport - starts talking about something other than the racing on the track. :thumbsdown: You had one job, commentator, one job, and it was to focus on the racing!

Not really a pet hate, something rather interesting from the IndyCar Detroit Grand Prix last week on NBC Sports.

Two commentators who were former racers were talking about Sebastian Bourdais. Scot Goodyear says, "There's Bourdais, former Le Mans winner." According to the internet, Bourdais is from Le Mans, and he could only manage a second place finish.

After an awkward pause, Goodyear continues, and asks fellow commentator Eddie Cheever, "Did you ever race in Le Mans?"

Another awkward pause, and Cheever replies, "yes, I did. I won it." According to the internet, the best he could is finish second in Le Mans.

Maybe Cheever was using Goodyear's weird definition of "win" in there. :whistling::cautious:

Not really a pet hate, something rather interesting from the IndyCar Detroit Grand Prix last week on NBC Sports.

Two commentators who were former racers were talking about Sebastian Bourdais. Scot Goodyear says, "There's Bourdais, former Le Mans winner." According to the internet, Bourdais is from Le Mans, and he could only manage a second place finish.

After an awkward pause, Goodyear continues, and asks fellow commentator Eddie Cheever, "Did you ever race in Le Mans?"

Another awkward pause, and Cheever replies, "yes, I did. I won it." .....

Those two really don't seem to be getting on too well. It was also very awkward when they couldn't agree who was at fault in another incident with Will Power. Still, it adds to the entertainment :)

Those two really don't seem to be getting on too well. It was also very awkward when they couldn't agree who was at fault in another incident with Will Power. Still, it adds to the entertainment :)

That was really awkward as well, don't know who meant what, but I couldn't understand how you could make it out to be anyone other than Will Power's fault!

Well Ricciardo told the RTL crew (germany) in an interview that his name is pronounced "ricardo" isntead of "riciardo".

While at BBC he said that 'Ricardo' was the way it had always been pronounced in Australia, while the 'Riciardo/Richiardo" was the Italian way, so both would be correct, but he was most used to 'Ricardo'.

I actually say Riciardo/Richiardo when I talk about the guy ^^

Yes I agree, in my defence I didn't really make myself very clear. What I was trying to say is, if Crofty is going to pronounce it correctly, i.e. as the Germans do, then he should actually do it properly, not just stick an F on the start of the name.
In german the letter V reads out as an F. I hope I explained myself properly. I didn't pay attention to this but from what I remember he pronounces preety good for a brit.

The one thing that bothers me is when people try to say Ricciardo's name. If I remember well he explained how to to pronounce his name (but can't remember much) but my english knowledge tells me it should sound as in the name "Richie" not like in Rikky-Rikki....

In german the letter V reads out as an F. I hope I explained myself properly. I didn't pay attention to this but from what I remember he pronounces preety good for a brit.

The one thing that bothers me is when people try to say Ricciardo's name. If I remember well he explained how to to pronounce his name (but can't remember much) but my english knowledge tells me it should sound as in the name "Richie" not like in Rikky-Rikki....
in german television daniel said he want to be called "Ricardo"

Newcomers to the F1 must have their minds boggled by commentators talking about tyres, as far as I can tell the whole option/prime wording is used to simplify this so why cant they stick to it. A simple pre-race explanation of what the option and prime tyres are for the weekend and then stick to calling them option/prime instead option then supersoft then soft then prime!! big pet hate for me lol

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back