Pessio Garage RD1 "Porknose"

Cars Pessio Garage RD1 "Porknose" 1.31 fix

Login or Register an account to download this content
Pessio submitted a new resource:

Pessio Garage RD1 "Porknose" - Pessio Garage RD1 "Porknose"

Built from scratch to pay homage to the formula of the 60s and as a gift to the Racedepartment community, the RD1 is in effect a F1 car from the late 1960s, but with more modern technologies and driveability.
Built on a tube frame, just little bigger to comfortably accommodate even taller drivers, it's powered by a generous but easy to mantain Ford 302, paired with a Quaife transaxle, a replica of the ZF mounted on the Ford GT40.
Modern shock absorbers and brakes, combined with better...

Read more about this resource...

such a masterpiece
Screenshot_rac_ks_vallelunga_11-2-120-17-52-5.jpg

Last edited:
Hey man this is looking superb overall, overall good balance of details, nice polyflow, good texturing. Really impressive once again, and just getting better.

My only suggestion is better control of normals, particularly around sharper edges. There are a few standout points of the model, but really its found throughout.
Quick example of what i mean below - what I'm seeing a lot on your model is A: Averaged normals over standard chamfers with no support loops, this leaves what should be 'flat' surfaces as having the appearance of curved normals.

1581455357260.png

I think an improvement would be to try using the B or C method, which is custom normals or 'fake chamfers' respectively - look at the wireframe image below and it should be self explanatory.
How you use them can depend on a few factors, so for example the silhouette is important, don't use 'fake chamfers'. I do recommend them for most things though, as it makes LODing super easy.

1581455369527.png

Here are some areas I found this really noticeable on your model:
This (oil?) tank - geometry says nice flat sides, normals (look at that horizon) say otherwise
1581456095868.png

Small ridge on the nose cone area - leaves a very wide transition to the surrounding bodywork:
1581456163011.png

I would really consider adding a support loop to help control the normals, like this bad drawing
1581456256227.png

Same with all the gearbox fins/ribs etc, all lacking normal control, so they are leaking into each other a bit, reducing their effect.
1581456669084.png

Close up of the same part - that tight of a radius there should be no blending between the two adjacent faces (blue lines supposed to be the control loops i'd add, poorly draw again)
1581456881515.png

Same with any 'sharp' corners of panel gaps, lacking control, making the normals act as if its much larger radii than they really are
1581457080215.png

Really easily fixed with a couple of extra loops
1581457120533.png

Anyway hope these illustrate the point - overall its still a really nice model, it doesn't detract too much. Something to keep in mind for next time :) Great work

Could you set a internal glass material on the windshield?
Inside of the windshield is too much reflective especially on kerb stones.

Nice. I'll take a look at a later time. If I find something or have a suggestion, I'll mention it. What kind of tires is the car supposed to be running on?
Mmm...modern repro, CR82 Dunlop, but i went similar to kunos

Could've/should've/would've considered doing a real one? Scarbo SV F1
It's basically the same idea, i borrowed a lot from the scarbo, but i preferred going my way!

Tremendous job. Drives well, responds to setup changes. It's a little more like an F2 of the day. Put a Cosworth DFV in it or a V12 and ...
It's basically a F5000.
The idea was to put a easy to get and easy to maintain engine

@Pessio

You forgot to add the wheel offset to the points in the front.

Check with suspensions app: the suspension is decoupled from where it should be.

Add RIM_OFFSET=0.045 <----- to the X points.

0.43 -> 0.475.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 118 7.5%
  • < 5 years