Perrin LMP1 - potential goldmine of data for modders

I'm not a modeller myself, but just thought I'd flag this up for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112152

What this might represent is access to very detailed data on a modern LMP design, for either building this car in particular or taking the general principles and applying to other prototypes.

http://perrinn.com/

In fact, reading the Perrinn site, it seems they've already considered and are actively encouraging the car to be built as a 3D model and used in simulation software! I haven't seen anything mentioning when this all goes live, but the site isn't working particularly well on my crappy old work computer...

Nice find, this sounds so awesome for or community and the motor sport community in general. If assetto corsa got a license for this we could do some sick things with the data in our sim world! Very exciting!

Last edited:
@Leemstradamus the whole point of an open source project is that if you want to reuse the data, you're free to do it as long as you don't sell it ;) Hence it is the job of modders to get it into AC!

And it won't probably be too difficult, with ready 3D CAD data and technical specifications :D Pretty nice find there @BanjoMaster. Let's just hope for the dev tools to come quickly now :)

@Leemstradamus the whole point of an open source project is that if you want to reuse the data, you're free to do it as long as you don't sell it ;) Hence it is the job of modders to get it into AC!

And it won't probably be too difficult, with ready 3D CAD data and technical specifications :D Pretty nice find there @BanjoMaster. Let's just hope for the dev tools to come quickly now :)
I understand what open-source is. I was trying to say (which it looks like I failed at), that Assetto Corsa should try and add it officially. Maybe they could do a dlc and have some of the processes go to the team to get the project going.

Just stumbled across this while researching info on the Perrinn LMP1. Am quite surprised this hasn't attracted more interest. It appears this car will in fact be on the grid in Le Mans in 2018.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/perrinn-lmp1-project-reappears-two-cars-sold-for-2018/

Risen from the ashes :). Unfortunately that shitload of information is today very hard to find. Anyway cool to see this come back to life and maybe we can see the open source LMP1 'MyP1' in AC some day!

Well we have the model since it's open source right?! I have the .stl file and successfully imported it into Blender. I also have the suspension and drivetrain data including geometry from some race engineering blogs. Thing is just that someone would have to optimize the model (it's currently a 500.000 tris CFD ready external shell without cockpit etc.) meaning seperating and creating all objects, reworking the geometry and around 1000 other things :). BUT we have it.

Instead of reworking the existing model it might almost be quicker to separate all objects and then rebuilding them cuz it's got some reeeaallyyy messed up geometry going on in a lot of places as it is I guess not meant to be used in a game.

Having just watched the 6hrs of Nurburgring WEC race I gotta say with the dreadful looks of the current Porsche 919 and the epic batmobile styling of the Toyota this one would be a welcome addition to the grid. I hope it will materialize in 2018. The ByKolles LMP1 is also one of the best looking LMP1s to ever field the track. This PERRINN design really goes a long way in terms of appeal but would have to be slightly tweaked areo-wise to be 'up to date'. I'm tempted to try to ready this model and do the suspension and drivetrain on it. Would be cool if we could have this rocket ready before the 2018 Le Mans race :). Anyway, might move this to the Mods section...

Its a cool concept, I'm actually doing something similar for my next project (taking a CAD LMP1 style car and remaking for AC, on a lesser scale I suppose).

Nice looking machine too, except the limousine-like cockpit...

Any data on the suspension geometry on that, could be an interesting read.

I've actually contacted PERRINN telling them about the prospect of implementing the car into AC and asking about info and if they might be interested in that. Not really expecting a response but hey it's open source right :).

You an find some infos here:

https://drracing.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/perrinn-myp1-lmp1-l-and-driving-simulation/

There's a guy that used the model for his CFD simulation, he corrected some parts and shared it on his site, that's where I got the model.

I started some rudimentary modelling on it some time ago...

Who knows maybe there'll be a response and this can be turned into an actual mod.

I started some rudimentary modelling on it some time ago...

Looks like you've modelled the windscreen and cockpit separately, I'd recommend making it as one price then adding the panel gaps later, which will help create a clean transition between panels. Using subdivision would be useful at this stage too, to help get nice rounded surfaces.

This is an example of my windscreen/cockpit, which I'll later cut into to create the panel gaps (not the greatest pic, had to crop half of it out as the car is not public yet).

a1YkcqFh.jpg

That windscreen is just a placeholder I actually extruded the entire 'greenhouse' for lack of a better word out of the top part but didn't have a pic that showed the suspension parts :).

I guess I'll have to move this to the Mods section. I'm almost done separating and creating objects with names for the entire PERRINN model, still no response though :D.

By the way beautiful lines there! Reminds me a lot of the Peugeot 908 regarding the slope and elegant flowing lines opposed to the violent wind tunnel edges of the late R18 and current 919 (probably the ugliest race car in the world which is amazing as it started out as one of the most beautiful).

Not sure about this LMP, but their F1 2017 spec would be many seconds behind the rest :D

I'm catching your drift :). The LMP1 was designed in 2013 and by simply looking at it you can already see the 'age'. That said there is a privateer team that will put 2 of these machines in whatever shape on the WEC grid in 2018 and they plan to fill the gap between LMP2 and LMP1 HY so I'm sure the base can and will be optimized to be competitive. As it's open source all optimizations and changes will be shard with PERRINN and as they plan to create a reference base for all customers (equivalent to the open source approach in the IT world) the resulting car should be competitive. Otherwise a privateer team wouldn't be spending 6-10 million per season to compete right?!

All that aside I find it super fascinating that an open source designed, supported and built LMP1 (standard or HY) racecar will be on the grid and even more fascinating that that open approach can benefit the modelling and implementation into a racing sim which would be a first I guess in terms of accuracy and authenticity.

Anyway I'm going off on a tangent, yes you're right both cars would be way at the back of the field in their current states - which I'm sure aren't the current states anymore :).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back