Pedals and shifters

I have the following things:
-Genius Speed Wheel Force Feedback wheel:
Theoretically it's working, pedals are a bit loud and have a bit of bad feeling though as they were fixed after being broken. I didn't find a driver anymore for it though.
-Compressor Supreme Force Feedback wheel (now I see it called Manta):
This one has a sequential shifter (with a handbrake!) that can be used probably;) The pedals of this wheel are digital though, and not working properly, when I push the brake it's gone, accelerating constantly.
-The junks of my old Logitech Formula Force EX:
Cables cut, but can be useful for spare parts.

Can I use these things to make something really cool for my "new" Formula Force EX wheel? Mainly I would like to have an analog clutch pedal, seq. shifter is only second on the list.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter:D

Yes most deffinatly, you can use a USB controller to take the signal from potentiometers to you PC. First thing would be to make a base for the pedals, get the spacing/positioning right etc. That will be the hard part to be honest, connecting up and callibrating them should be pretty easy! Same with shifter, the USB board can do that too, plus the pedals and a healthy number of extra buttons, all on one USB device.....:cool:

Upvote 0
Nice! So I'll start working on it! I'm really no expert in these things though, so I appreciate any help I get! (a tutorial or something would be also great)
Do you think the Compressor wheel's USB board can do the job? Is it possible to put the pedals on the steering axis? If it would work I could put the shifter on without a problem:)

Upvote 0
OK, thanks, that really seems to be the wise decision!:)

I won't start building it however until I have an exact plan. But the main question for now is solved: I'll keep those things (at least the main parts of them, i.e. I don't need the wheel itself).

Upvote 0
I have found this plan on RSC:
label.jpg

I have a few questions about it: (Might be some stupid ones, as I said I'm no expert:))
First questions:
- This one is using magnetic sensors instead of pots right? Which one is better?
- What is HE?

Upvote 0
Hi Peter

The magnetic sensores dont wear as such, plus I beleive they are slighty more accurate (resolution). But I have never used them (Yet lol) so I would go with pots! HE? in what context?

Upvote 0
There's a mark on the plan "HE here". I would like to know what it is!:)

Edit: isn't that has something to do with "hall effect"?

Edit 2: I think I start to understand it: HE is the hall effect sensor (i.e. the magnetic sensor), and the magnets on the plan are just magnets:) (correct me if I'm wrong please)

btw if that magnetic thing would work I would be happy as it seems to be a lot cheaper too (together with the magnets)

Upvote 0
yes HE is the hall effect sensors.... it must be put on every pedals, and the magnets are normal magnets, and they let the hall sensor works!!! ;)

this type of sensors are used on some pedals like the fanatec one's and others..... ;)

Upvote 0
Hey guys. Funny you link that pedal design, that is my old design on my PhotoBucket. In that picture, HE stands for Hall Effect. I just put those there as place holders. I never had played with them before so I was going to test where would be best for them.

If you like the design, feel free to use it. It was purposely designed to be easy to make with hand power tools. The plans were to make the bases and pedal arms from HDPE (Cutting Board).

Leo Bodnar I think over charges for all of the little peices on his site. You can get hall effects and magnets for much cheaper.

Also, if you need a bodnar board I have one spare that you can get for cheaper than off his site. I made a post about it.

Upvote 0
Whats the benefit for the Magnets n Hall Effect?

I also heard of that Load Cell thingy which I am very very keen to understand exactly how it will benefit my braking.

Whats so good about them that everyone using one will swear by it?

Upvote 0
A hall effect sensor measures the strength of a magnetic field as it gets closer or further away. There is no turning of a potentiometer, no gearing, and no having to worry about wear. It is the most accurate way to measure in the case of pedals.

As for a load cell, that measures the pounds (or kilograms) of force applied, much like a real vehicle. Instead of having to guess how far your pedal is depressed, you can use muscle memory to tell how much you are breaking. Overall feel is better than just using a standard spring and potentiometer brake pedal. I can guarantee you will be able to brake smoother, later, and more consistent than with your current set of pedals that do not use one.

I am working on a new simple to make for a DIY'er pedal design incorporating a load cell brake. This time I will actually complete it and do a full materials and tools list along with prices. The whole approach is to be able to do it with standard power tools and easily obtainable materials.

Upvote 0
is it possible to calibrate the Club Sport pedals like you can with the Calibration-DFP-G25.exe tool?

reason i ask is the throttle reaches 100% about 15mm before the pedal travel ends, now i`m used to it being at 100% when almost pressed fully & i know i would get use to it, but it would be nice to be able to use all the travel. i did consider making a bigger rubber to put in to resrict the throttle bar but fear when i get exited and press to hard it might brake the plastic block lol.

also the clutch has a hell of a lot of travel, but what ever i applied to fix my throtle coud be copied to adjust the clutch.

PS. great explantion there Evan, i love the simplisety of the hall sensors and so easy to clean without removing anything as its fully exposed added to the fact that it should last for years and years with some TLC :D

Upvote 0
Didn't know where to post my question about the Clubsport pedals. So thought I'd post it here. Just got them today and I adjusted the nut on the back of the throttle to increase the tension of the throttle but when I do I'm losing throttle input, maybe from 100% to about 85%. Is that normal when adjusting the tension on the pedals? Any help would be appreciated :)

Upvote 0
Didn't know where to post my question about the Clubsport pedals. So thought I'd post it here. Just got them today and I adjusted the nut on the back of the throttle to increase the tension of the throttle but when I do I'm losing throttle input, maybe from 100% to about 85%. Is that normal when adjusting the tension on the pedals? Any help would be appreciated :)

First off, right place to put your questions! I have just recieved the clubsport pedals today too lol. Sounds like what Abs said, just a recalibrate in the game software. I havent had a chance to play with them yet, so let me know how you get on :)

Upvote 0
After talking to Ivo about them, as he just picked up some CSPs as well. I adjusted the nut closest to the spring and got it to the tension that I wanted. Then reinstalled/repaired the drivers for them. And now they show as 100% throttle. Thanks to Ivo for the help :)

Still adjusting them around a bit. As its taking just a bit to get them right exactly where I want them on my playseats evolution. The adjustability on these are amazing! So far soooo good!! :D

edit: Also for the record, that mine's arrived before Ivo's. Probably the only time that I've beat him in a race in quite some time! lol :tongue:

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years