Pedal shifting = left foot braking?

Hi guys!

I guess this has been discussed before but i didn´t find much in search...

It came to my mind when i watched a youtube video of @Akis (btw where is he??) with pedal cam and he was left foot braking in GT3.
Then i looked for RL onboard cams of GT3 and also these guys are left foot braking...

I am not because i thought it´s better to not do it so I am not confused when i switch back to an h-shifter car...

but now I want to ask if all of you are left foot braking in GT3/GT2 or formula? and if this is the better technique for these cars? ...actually it seems at least be nearer to real life :O_o:

Thank you!

I would use my left foot on a sequential, it's free and not doing anything else. I do it in the real world too. I'd use my left foot even with H-shifter, I'd do most my heavy braking with the right but I'd use my left foot through a corner where I'm trying to send grip to the front tyres.

I would use my left foot on a sequential, it's free and not doing anything else. I do it in the real world too. I'd use my left foot even with H-shifter, I'd do most my heavy braking with the right but I'd use my left foot through a corner where I'm trying to send grip to the front tyres.
and is it working? ...sending grip to the front tyres?

Ya, for the most part. Acceleration sends weight backwards so gives grip to the rear tyres and braking sends weight forward over the front tyres. So (with a h-shifter) I'd do my heavy braking with my right foot so I can throttle blip and through the corner I'd move my left foot over and apply a touch of brake if I'm going to wide and need to make the car turn in more. It's only a slight adjustment using a small amount of braking. Too much and the front locks, loses traction and understeers. It's not going to save you from going way too fast into a corner but if you've slightly overcooked it, a touch of brake can save the racing line.

Using two feet you are able to give quicker inputs to the pedals and thus change car behaviour faster than you would with one foot. Usually as a rule, any car that has sequential/paddle operated transmition is always driven with two feet. In fact there are times when usual H shifter cars ie. F40 can be driven with both feet (when you're in the right gear and you dont have to make a shift).

Ever since I started simracing I've raced while using both feet. If id start using just one I feel the transition between throttle and braking would be too slow. One good example is braking on the front straight at Monza. Hard braking in a 458 with no abs requires throttle inputs towards the end of the braking zone in order to keep the rear wheels from locking up. Braking with just your right foot would make those throttle/brake modulations very hard to do.

For race cars at least give it a try, chose a track that has simple transitions like Monza and practice.

Left foot braking in cars that don`t use clutch for shifting. Left and right foot on h-patern or sequential with clutch cars (depends if I need left foot for clutch at that moment) `.. with left foot braking it is easier to balance car through the corner

Using two feet you are able to give quicker inputs to the pedals and thus change car behaviour faster than you would with one foot. Usually as a rule, any car that has sequential/paddle operated transmition is always driven with two feet. In fact there are times when usual H shifter cars ie. F40 can be driven with both feet (when you're in the right gear and you dont have to make a shift).

Ever since I started simracing I've raced while using both feet. If id start using just one I feel the transition between throttle and braking would be too slow. One good example is braking on the front straight at Monza. Hard braking in a 458 with no abs requires throttle inputs towards the end of the braking zone in order to keep the rear wheels from locking up. Braking with just your right foot would make those throttle/brake modulations very hard to do.

For race cars at least give it a try, chose a track that has simple transitions like Monza and practice.
OK, guys you´ve convinced me ;)
I will try to adopt and improve my footwork :thumbsup:
Want to use/train it already in tomorrow´s race at Spa :D

I actually learnt left foot braking first (only had a Logitech Momo Racing in my early sim racing days), which gave me a real headache when I first took a step into car in real life. Took me and my driving teacher quite some patience to get rid of the habit :D But it is defo faster in sequential shift cars.

I've been switching between vehicles a lot lately. An automatic Chrysler and a number of manual vans. I've pressed the brake to change gear once or twice. So much of driving is habit, it can be very hard to adjust and even when you do that habit can just spring up out of the blue again.

I have never done anything else than left foot braking and I have a clutch. Its just natural for me. But as strange as it seems, I do right foot braking in my real car and would never dream of doing left foot braking in my car.

Left foot braking always "in" a sequential car for me, it's always seemed natural to me :) When it comes to cars with a clutch in sim racing, I'll (attempt to) heel-toe. To be fair, when it comes to driving cars with a clutch I should probably call it 'sim-driving' because I never race them, I'm too slow and inconsistent when using a clutch :( I do however, enjoy just driving them, particularly in AC which has in my opinion the most well modelled road cars graphically and in terms of physics in all of sim racing...simply put, I feel more in control and more responsive when left foot braking :D

I'm also a member of the left foot braking club. Years ago when I first started it felt odd, but didn't take long to adapt and now I wouldn't do it any other way. Anything with a sequential is left foot, and even when driving the h-gate I still use the left foot to brake if it isn't busy with the clutch. Same in the real world, and during those tragic times when I have to drive an automatic I even left foot brake in those (I find it makes driving the autotragic slightly less miserable).

left foot braking with seq and h-shifter. with a h-shifter it depends on the corner though. If u dont need to shift for a particular corner then use the left foot.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back