Pedal box from recycled bedside cabinet

Hi there.

I've got a spare bedside cabinet from Argos. I don't use it nor have room for it but instead of throwing it away, I thought I'd try to reuse it as a pedal box.

So first I modeled it all up accurately and then set to work on a design, and came up with one. I wanted to be able to adjust the pedal positions up and down, forwards and backwards, left to right and also alter the tilt angle. Plus I wanted a setup that could swap between 2 pedals for F1 style racing and 3 pedals for street car racing. This is what I came up with.

Firstly, here's the cabinet as existing, and then I broke it down to all its constituent parts. After a little rearranging (and a little cutting) I came up with a vertical and horizontal slider mechanism that utilizes the existing drawer slides:

Beside_Pedal_Cabinet_1.jpg

If I make the sides of the cabinet transparent, you can see the vertical sliding mechanism, and if I make the vertical sliding mechanism a little transparent you can see both the vertical and horizontal sliding mechanisms. A third pedal is easily added, and in the last pic you can see the pedal spacing adjustment and the pedal tilt angle mechanism.

Beside_Pedal_Cabinet_2.jpg

The whole thing is designed to fit under my standard IKEA computer desk as shown in this pic. I've got a TH2Go on a Ergotron mount that adjusts up and down, and has adjustable tilt angle. There's enough bits left over from the cabinet to make a sliding mechanism to put under the TH2Go so I can slide it backwards and forwards too. :)

Desk_TH2Go.jpg

There's a minimum of cutting involved and just a handful of brackets to buy and I'll have what I believe is a vey flexible and robust pedal box for a minimal outlay. All in all I'm pleased with the design. Comments welcome.

Regards,

Mr Pibb.

Wow, that's a nice way showing how you think, nice!

And if you got the tilt angle as you wrote, you can race with GT car setup. (Pedals coming from the air against the ground)

Fantastic idea really!

Upvote 0
How about fitting the pedals upside down? Most manufacturers use inverse pedal boxes today, not that much is wrong with the normal setup, it's just another mounting style that people are buying into, and since you have the opportunity, you also have choice.

Upvote 0
I had a crack at a design for inverse mounting, but at the end of the day what is most important to me is the pedal height relative to the seat, and the ability to be able to drop the pedals lower for GT racing. I have a race seat for my office chair, and it has a very big tilt angle it's capable of, but can also be positioned upright to be very comfortable for normal computer work and other video games.

When I drop the seat down, tilt it right back and lock it in place for F1 racing, I want the pedals up very high and the top of wheel just poking up from the bottom of the screen from my driving perspective. With the inverted pedals this is not possible with the height under the desk that is available. That and it's tricky to hang the heal plate from the forward sliding mechanism.

Are inverted pedals that much different to use? I don't really notice any difference when driving a car. My last car had inverted brake and clutch but floor mounted accelerator, and I don't recall noticing any difference.

Upvote 0
How about fitting the pedals upside down? Most manufacturers use inverse pedal boxes today, not that much is wrong with the normal setup, it's just another mounting style that people are buying into, and since you have the opportunity, you also have choice.

With that height I would think the only way possible is to invert the pedals. It will be extremely tricky to use the throttle at that angle if the pedal is how it is now. imho

Upvote 0
Are inverted pedals that much different to use? I don't really notice any difference when driving a car. My last car had inverted brake and clutch but floor mounted accelerator, and I don't recall noticing any difference.

No to be honest, they're not different in feel at all. The only bonus is for endurance races, as you can rest your heel on the floor and tip-toe with the throttle, something you cant really do with standard mounted boxes, as the pedals won't easily allow the boot to slip .

Although it comes with other benefits, such as leg room and stronger mounting possibilities, the feel is pretty much the same either way around.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 306 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing