PC1 pCARS offering refunds?

Same **** different day!
The hardcore simmers have been bitching about it not being a pure sim since the first build release. In the grand sceem of things they make up for a small percentage of the overall racing community, and at the end of the day you base your decisions on whats gonna generate the most income. When I first got involved with the build I was a die hard Forza/GT fan and my only vision for this title was to be better than those two and have a developer produce a game based on community feedback which ive felt they have done a good job thus far. Ive never really cared about it needing to be a hardcore sim I just wanted good content, next gen features and overall good ffb.
Hardcore, simcade there both video games IMO

It's not new, this was started last year as a result of the FSA (now the FCA) inquiry. Due to the "crowd funding model" not working the same in the UK as it does in the USA. Here's a piece from SMS's original message on the topic:

"We have agreed with the FCA that we will make tweaks to the structure for future projects so as to avoid it being considered a collective investment scheme. We will also continue to offer members a refund and will not be reopening the membership to new members or allowing upgrades."

Didn't know they were doing that. I haven't been on the forum in ages. It was an interesting project and wasn't what I was hoping for so I'll ask for my money back. Best of luck to them.
So you don't think the game will sell? So in reality if you are in it to possibly get a little bit of return from the sales there is no need for refund. If you are in as a Jr. member you may never have been totally serious about the title to begin with and thus made no real commitment to it's development(I am aware there are exceptions quite a few in fact). While you have every right to make up your own minds I would like to think it's a decision that was thought out that there is possibly more at stake then just owning a game.

Well I just got an email back from them refunding my 100 euros. I have no doubt that it will sell. I didn't join from the first week just to make some kind of outrageous profit. I joined because I liked the potential of the project and wanted to be part of something special. It became evident that what I wanted from the project was different from their vision and that is fine, they need to put food on the table and they know the industry far better than me. So alas I would barely fire up the game.

I have no I'll will towards them and hope the project is a success.

So you don't think the game will sell? So in reality if you are in it to possibly get a little bit of return from the sales there is no need for refund. If you are in as a Jr. member you may never have been totally serious about the title to begin with and thus made no real commitment to it's development(I am aware there are exceptions quite a few in fact). While you have every right to make up your own minds I would like to think it's a decision that was thought out that there is possibly more at stake then just owning a game.

One way of looking at it also is that Saleem didn't agree with the direction that the game was going and maybe he felt like his opinions weren't heard and therefore ignored like most that are requesting refunds. Its not about getting money back when the game sells, which it probably will, maybe its about speaking with the contribution dollars they invested since their voices weren't heard when they didn't contribute. Maybe when people start backing out of the project and take some contribution money away, it might makes SMS a little more willing to listen to EVERYONE that contributes instead of a few major contributors.

NOTE: This is speculation on my part based on what I've read about this project from people that have been a part of it.

One way of looking at it also is that Saleem didn't agree with the direction that the game was going and maybe he felt like his opinions weren't heard and therefore ignored like most that are requesting refunds. Its not about getting money back when the game sells, which it probably will, maybe its about speaking with the contribution dollars they invested since their voices weren't heard when they didn't contribute. Maybe when people start backing out of the project and take some contribution money away, it might makes SMS a little more willing to listen to EVERYONE that contributes instead of a few major contributors.

NOTE: This is speculation on my part based on what I've read about this project from people that have been a part of it.
Let's face it project cars will sell and when it does I wouldn't be suddenly looking to retire early. It would maybe have been nice some nice change to get back and have the game also included. There is a great bunch of people working on the project, it just so happened that Kunos announced assetto corsa and that sim is much closer to what I wanted.

@Kyle Pearson The driving model mostly.

I hope you give it some time. I will say that pCARs gets more things right than it does wrong with the driving model as it is today. There are still areas which need to be addressed, and they are working on them. I'm not just saying that because I'm a member in the community, but I do this stuff on a regular basis so I do come from a bit of experience (but I'm not Ben Collins):

http://***********/pb79hl8

I hope you give it some time. I will say that pCARs gets more things right than it does wrong with the driving model as it is today. There are still areas which need to be addressed, and they are working on them. I'm not just saying that because I'm a member in the community, but I do this stuff on a regular basis so I do come from a bit of experience (but I'm not Ben Collins):

http://***********/pb79hl8
There were other things that drive me nuts but I wasn't very vocal. I've not put much time in it in the past few months but the SLI performance was a headache (still in beta so to be expected) controller button mapping was a pain and frankly I have gave up trying to use my clubsport setup with it, the user interface was to clunky. The graphics are out of this world but my rigs with SLI could never achieve them.

At the time I last tested it, it was not fun to use which honestly is the only real thing to judge a game on. I also have rFactor 2 and don't use it either. Both games have great potential, but getting the most out of them became a chore and my free time is too limited to want to deal with it.

There were other things that drive me nuts but I wasn't very vocal. I've not put much time in it in the past few months but the SLI performance was a headache (still in beta so to be expected) controller button mapping was a pain and frankly I have gave up trying to use my clubsport setup with it, the user interface was to clunky. The graphics are out of this world but my rigs with SLI could never achieve them.

At the time I last tested it, it was not fun to use which honestly is the only real thing to judge a game on. I also have rFactor 2 and don't use it either. Both games have great potential, but getting the most out of them became a chore and my free time is too limited to want to deal with it.

Just a note that a majority of the things you mentioned are pieces that will be addressed once all the tech is in place. I understand that doesn't help you currently, but if those are some of your bigger complaints then it's worth holding out for the final product. I'm not sure what your investment level is, but if you haven't missed the money in 2 years, another few months probably isn't going to kill you. ;)

I work in IT for a living (been a programmer since the early 90's and now manage a few architecture teams), so I knew what I was getting involved with (i.e. buggy builds, incomplete functionality, changing implementations, etc)... I don't think a lot of members have ever seen or been this close to software development, at least not at this stage. Most people are familiar with "beta testing", but this is far from that which I don't think is everyone's cup of tea.

Yes, the menus have been a pain (and they are being re-worked) and my dated PC struggles to run the sim "as is". I'm sure I'll need a new rig by release time which is fine, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how much things improve when they move into their optimization phase. This is part of the reason I haven't upgraded my current PC (that's my story and I'm sticking with it!). :)

Anyway, I hope you reconsider your decision. Regardless of what you decide, this is a great time to be a sim racer. iRacing is still going strong. AC, pCARS and rF2 are on the horizon.... There will be something for everyone.

I was at senior level and it is a very cool project. I used to be very active in the forum but it got to the point that I felt like I wasn't being heard or really included in the conversations. I received my refund today and I'll put that in to a much need back pack lol.

It's an amazing time for our hobby. Pcars will fill a great gap between the hardcore SIM fan and the pure arcade fan. In really hope the best for the team but my focus had been on assetto corsa for quite a while now.

I wonder if I still have accessed to the builds.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 487 39.1%