• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

PCARS 3 | New Developer Blog Post: Upgrades

Michel Bélisle

250RPM
Premium
Nov 3, 2018
If it ends up being some kind of Gran Turismo for PC with better handling that is fine for me.

However, a lot of hardcore sim racers are sour that SMS did a kickstarter campaign promising a full-blown sim and we ended up with a simcade.

I think this is where it rubs the sim racing community the wrong way the most.

TrumpetReich

250RPM
Premium
Oct 30, 2015
This interview reads like an AI watched hours of Steve Jobs and Elon Musk speeches then ran it through the filter of a kids show that teaches you how to deal with divorced parents.

Reactions: Squared Circle

blot

100RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2013
Well I have a Fanatec setup but I've still remained a bit intimidated to try a full sim. I put in some VR time on PCars2, but I have a short attention span and I end up running the same cars over the same tracks and never get out of my comfort zone. Maybe this will be the game where I try and step up a bit more - not that this is shaping up to be the sort of "sim" people take seriously, but it could at least be fun.
I wish i had a Fanatec set up! Seriously mate there's nothing to be intimidated about with 'Full sims' Pcars2 regarding FFB is a can of worms! Get either AC, ACC, AMS2 or RF2 and just play offline like i do! These sim's will do your Fanatec set up some justice! I race with a T300 now (Got it about 2 months ago) Before that it was a microsoft sidewinder FFB wheel and a G25 which i used for like 12ish years!

ermo

250RPM
Premium
Dec 24, 2009
This interview reads like an AI watched hours of Steve Jobs and Elon Musk speeches then ran it through the filter of a kids show that teaches you how to deal with divorced parents.
Really?

To me it read like Jussi has had quite a bit of input on how to make the upgrade system not suck from both a physics and performance rating perspective.

We'll see how it pans out I guess.

Aug 31, 2012
It's still better than Forza, and if PC3 is anything like the first two people will make custom profiles for it that greatly improve it.
You are probably right, I just don't get the appeal of using a FFB wheel and nice pedals and such just to slide around like Ken Block on steroids with no consequences while playing a sim-cade. Forza genre games just feel more natural to me in third person view with a controller.
I do realize that I am a dying breed (literally) though and that the target demographic of the entire simulation genre has shifted and has different preferences of what they want out of a game in this genre nowadays. Quality VR support is more important than tire models and users would prefer that devs spend their limited resources coding competitive multiplayer matchmaking rather than hiring physics engineers.

Reactions: stenovitz

Vadara

25RPM
Sep 21, 2017
You are probably right, I just don't get the appeal of using a FFB wheel and nice pedals and such just to slide around like Ken Block on steroids with no consequences while playing a sim-cade. Forza genre games just feel more natural to me in third person view with a controller.
I do realize that I am a dying breed (literally) though and that the target demographic of the entire simulation genre has shifted and has different preferences of what they want out of a game in this genre nowadays. Quality VR support is more important than tire models and users would prefer that devs spend their limited resources coding competitive multiplayer matchmaking rather than hiring physics engineers.
The vast majority of racing games are better with a wheel. The only ones that aren't are:

-hyper-arcade ones like Burnout and hell even then they'd probably still be more fun
-ones where you aren't even driving a car with wheels like Wipeout or F-Zero (still, I'd love to try out a Wipeout game with a yoke and full cockpit...)

There's a reason blatantly unrealistic arcade titles like Daytona USA and the Initial D arcade games use wheels and pedals. It's just inherently more fun with authentic controls. Forza Horizon 4 having kinda crappy wheel support is a major reason why I haven't bought it though I loved FH3. Wheels are just more fun.

The Preacher

10RPM
Jun 6, 2016
They can claim they have 'simulated' the upgrades all they want & claim its authentic, but i can't see it being much fun if you can win races based on you upgrades. Race cars should have bop, that's the whole point of adding the weight on the KTM X-Bow GT4 and the other restrictions. They do it for a reason.
I don't think that's what they're planning. They have a performance index (PIR) which will determine which class you race against. The point is you can take the same car and apply a BOP to it and use it in different classes.

Dave Thayer

250RPM
Premium
Mar 31, 2018
They continue to talk about the physics, handling, and what you can do to the cars, but still have no idea how long max the races are
in PC3. With these type of games like GRID, I just jump in a car with its default settings, select a track, and do my races. Now in GRID,
the max length race is 10 laps, Is PC3 game more laps than this?

So Paul or Developers of the game, what is the max length of a race in PC3 on any track?

Thanks for your continued updates on PC3.

take care.

Reactions: ImWilde

justfdl

100RPM
Jun 22, 2017
It sounds more and more like Gran Turismo 3 in terms of overall approach.
I am very confident that GT3 had pit stops, different tires and tire degradation. Because I used to do endurance races with a few friends including pizza, nachos and beer.

justfdl

100RPM
Jun 22, 2017
I hope this game is going to be tons of fun, just to see all the angry “hardcore” simracing army’s butthurt :roflmao:
I don't doubt it will be tons of fun, and most likely it will reach a much bigger audience than the small sim racing niche, especially on console. And there's nothing bad about that, if that's what they're aiming for, so there's no reason to be but hurt in the first place.

I'm just wondering why they are trying to sell features like morphing tire compounds as simulation, which I guess won't be such a well working selling point. That smells a bit like marketing trying to cover bases they can't, and lot's of people don't like to get misdirected, especially if this happened before.

The distrust against SMS is an issue following selling tactics like that. If you as a studio manages to get a good part of the early backers, your fans, riled up against you to the point that they flat out hate you, you might want to think about your marketing strategy.

May 27, 2020
I don't doubt it will be tons of fun, and most likely it will reach a much bigger audience than the small sim racing niche, especially on console. And there's nothing bad about that, if that's what they're aiming for, so there's no reason to be but hurt in the first place.

I'm just wondering why they are trying to sell features like morphing tire compounds as simulation, which I guess won't be such a well working selling point. That smells a bit like marketing trying to cover bases they can't, and lot's of people don't like to get misdirected, especially if this happened before.

The distrust against SMS is an issue following selling tactics like that. If you as a studio manages to get a good part of the early backers, your fans, riled up against you to the point that they flat out hate you, you might want to think about your marketing strategy.
After reading all that's known until now I'm coming to the conclusion that there will be no real physics features in PC3 (like "morphing tyre compounds"). It would be completely useless as tyres won't degrade and tenths of kilograms of fuel won't be used. Both having a much bigger impact on physics on track than anything SMS would now be able to come up with. So it will be placebo.
Taking out pitstops takes the rest of realism from the game - all that just by removing pitstops.

Looking at the PC2 online community I understand SMS, though. People are almost exclusively racing 5 laps without damage. So the PC-community is 99% about gaming and 1% about sim. Want a sim? Go elsewhere.

David Wright

1000RPM
Sep 27, 2009
Looking at the PC2 online community I understand SMS, though. People are almost exclusively racing 5 laps without damage. So the PC-community is 99% about gaming and 1% about sim. Want a sim? Go elsewhere.
You are looking at pickup races. Leagues don't run 5 lap races and its unusual to race without damage. Pickup racers are not 99% of the PC community. They are more like 10% of the community. The vast majority do not race on-line.

But it is true that the majority don't do pitstops or rarely do pitstops, as with most sims. But they do do fuel use, tyre wear and they drive out of the garage and down the pitlane in practice and qualifying. Something we probably can't do in PC3.

GP20

500RPM
Oct 24, 2016
Which could mean that the developers don't think that reality is fun:)
Perhaps the ffb is better than what people suppose.

By the way i hope that city tracks will not have 90° corners and that we will drive thru central parks.

City tracks are boring most of the times...

It looks like Gran Turismo 7 is on the same plan (with nice mountain tracks).

Cars look photorealistic.

Last edited:

Durge Driven

2000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
Sad are the people who keep commenting they are not buying it but duly keep returning to the next item about said game to say the same bull over n over, go away

They been doing that in rF2 threads for 8 years :roflmao:

Having said that the amount of people that actually use forums or comment in Steam are only a tiny slice of the pie ;)

Reactions: Alex72