PC Upgrade to run Triples. Advise needed!

Hi All,

I need some upgrade advice. I am about to go to a triple screen set up and want to ensure I can run consistently high frame rates with a high level of detail in both iRacing and Assetto Corsa.

Current system is i5-3570 @3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX970 running a single 1920x1080 60Hz monitor.

I am thinking of moving to a i7 8700 @3.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, RTX2070 on triple 1080p monitors.

First question is, is the new system suitable and does the graphics card do the job as I am not sure what would be need. I want a GPU that matches and isn't overkill for the CPU.

Also is the CPU and DDR4 ram compatible with and older (2013 era ASRock motherboard? The specs for the motherboard show an LGA1155 socket.

PC Part Picker seems to suggest my Motherboard wont be compatible with the DDR4 ram and i7 CPU so this is what I would look at.

https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/436/msi-dark-8700k-gaming-bundle

Any help would be appreciated.

8700 needs 1151 chipset So you will need a new mobo for 8700, with new Ryzen coming I'd be waiting on prices and performance to see what happens to CPU prices in the very near future.
I think anyone building a new PC now would be a bit mad not waiting on Ryzen, it seems already Intel are being forced to lower prices for what seems to be the first time in forever.

Wait!
As @2stains advised, and others on this site too, it's not quite the time to upgrade yet.
I'm personally waiting out for the 3rd Gen Ryzen. Need to see some benchmarks against Intel but the early reports seem pretty decent so far.
Probably in the market for a 3600 or an 8700k but it all depends on how much Intel reduce their prices and the benchmarks

Last edited:
ok thanks for the info. How long until the new Ryzen is freely available? If it is weeks away I will wait it out but if its 3 or 4 months off I will go with whats available now.

ok thanks for the info. How long until the new Ryzen is freely available? If it is weeks away I will wait it out but if its 3 or 4 months off I will go with whats available now.
It's expected for 7th July :)
I was tempted to send a "let me Google this for you" link but then found out that the release date is hidden in articles instead of headlines :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 394 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 266 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 254 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 186 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 314 13.0%