PC upgrade around Ryzen 3700x and RTX 2080

Hi virtual racers,

With the release of Ryzen 3000 series coming out 7/7-2019, i decided to upgrade my last components in my PC, so i can get solid FPS in ACC with 1440p resolution.
But i do have some hardware related questions i need answered :)
I currently using the following build, 9/10 components are 5½ year old.
Storage:
2x SSD - roughly 180 GB each.
1x 3 TB HDD
Motherboard
Asus z87 pro motherboard
CPU:
i7 4700k
RAM:
16gb DDR3
GPU:
rtx 2080 - this is a few months old
Software
Windows 7

With the AMD release of Ryzen 3000 series, they also released the news of a new series of motherboards, which are coming with a hefty price tag - mainly cause it have PCIe® 4.0(But i have no clue what it is and what it does) :p
X570 motherboard series its called..

As for parts to upgrade my PC, i though of something slightly older in terms of motherboard, but as i don't know the difference its hard for me to believe i need the newest and the most expensive..
Are my following items worth to buy, or do you suggest something else?
ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
32 gb DDR4 ram
Ryzen 3700x
Windows 10
-Perhaps also a new SSD, because of the increased speed and capacity. They price have also dropped rapidly in the last 5-6 years.

I hope you can guide me!

Thanks!

I get minimum 60fps, usually 70+, maxed out except shadows and foliage dropped a bit - this with a Ryzen 5 2600X and a RTX2060.

Your spec should be perfectly fine.

Drop all the settings to low and I gain very little.

I'm also looking at Ryzen 3xxx series for my next upgrade.
Not sure on the 5 3600x or the 7 3700x but will definitely be getting a new x570 board to make use of the extra speed and features. May be best for the long haul although there has been talk of PCIe5.0 coming soon which will have a different slot... really not sure if I should pull the pin on this gen or sit it out for another to see what happens...
Trouble is with this tactic is that you end up sitting out forever as things are constantly moving at quite some pace...

I was all set too, already brought new tower, PSU and AIO
I was going to order rest as soon as available, don't open till proper benches

X570 will be dearer then last gen equivalent
Needs chip-set fans ? < I don't like that idea
Better bang for buck for people already have a X470

Pointless me upgrading from 8700 non K to 9 series unless
they drop price dramatically

How much faster in single thread do they need to be to make it worthwhile upgrade

As far as ACC is concerned, 2080 will IMO be completely wasted in 1440p, even with the new Ryzens (assuming the supposed best case scenario of around 15 % more single-threaded performance).

Even 2070 would probably not reach full utilization. And upgrading from the i7 to Ryzen 3xxx will likely be a very marginal upgrade at best.

I'm playing 1440P @ 120hz with the 1080ti and it takes a lot of tweaks and sacrifices to keep the game mostly stable at 120fps. Even then, weather effects and some tracks will dip hard bellow 100fps. So, I dont think an 2080 is overkill for 1440P, even for 60hz. Specially if he doesn't use the engine.ini VR tweaks (that also work to decrease 2D gpu usage by 30+%!).

It is absolutely an overkill because it's not the GPU that dictates the framerate in this title, and I would be willing to bet a 2080 would be around 70 % usage (and possibly lower) in ACC at 1440p, even in 120 fps (not that I would expect the CPU to be able to consistently deliver 120 fps), much less in 60 fps.

I mean I can get more or less stable 60 fps in ACC in 2560x1600 (so it should be even easier in true 1440p) even with my 1660Ti without any real effort. And, on the other hand, I wouldn't be able to squeeze stable 120 fps out of it even in 1080p (or lower), because it's limited by the CPU (Ryzen 2600).

Pointless me upgrading from 8700 non K to 9 series unless they drop price dramatically

DigiTimes reported today, citing sources at motherboard makers, that Intel plans to cut the pricing of its eighth- and ninth-gen processors by 10-15% and has already notified its partners of the change. If true, that could mean that pricing for some Intel processors could drop anywhere from $25 to a whopping $75 for pricier SKUs

While all companies are in business to make money...even with the radical price drop proposed, Intel will still be making massive sums on their CPUs.
The question then becomes...
"Why do they overly inflate prices so far beyond what is a reasonable profit margin... only until such time as competition drives them to make adjustments?"
The consumers should be outraged and yet, I see many instances of defense of the practice.
It is as if their pride won't let them acknowledge that they've paid way too much for a similarly performing product.
That said...I currently run ACC, RF2, RRE, AMS all on an R5-2600X with a GTX1080Ti and MSI X470 Gaming Plus...all at mostly max settings with zero issues.
Depending on if the 3-series offers a substantial boost for the same clock speed, I may consider the 3700X but to be quite honest, I'm very happy with my 2600X.
It boost to 4.2 GHz with no 'hard' O/C and is extremely smooth.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing