PC & monitor match for a newbie

Hello all!
I have made made the mistake ($$$) of venturing into sim racing and I’m about to build my first ever setup. I’ve done a ton of research and feel confident about my choices when it comes to the rig, wheel and pedals but I’m very hesitant to pull the trigger on a PC and a monitor.

My situation:
1) I enjoy high quality graphics and will probably drive mostly in ACC and Project Cars. I’m used to Forza so it’ll be an adjustment as far as driving btw.
2) $1000 is a hard limit for PC. I’d prefer to stay under $800. This PC will be used ONLY for sim racing (two, three games max) as I have a console and a work laptop for other tasks.
3) $500 is a hard limit for monitor

My questions:
1) Will this PC be capable of running ACC at high settings on a single monitor in 1440p at a high refresh rate?
budget option:
High end alternative: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/RPTwrH/great-amd-gaming-build

any suggestions as far as parts used?

2) What’s your favorite 30-32 inch monitor these days?
I came up with this MSI but I’m open to any better options in the $300-450 range. Since I’ll only run one screen due to room constraints the bigger the better imo

3) as a newbie Should I target 1440p or just good old 1080p? Again, we’re talking about a single screen setup.

thanks for your help! I can’t wait to start driving!!!

Addressing your first question: ACC needs a strong CPU, and in my opinion your first build doesn't have good enough single-threaded performance (since ACC really only effectively uses around 4 execution units). The second build might have just about enough grunt but the GPU cost is still much higher than the CPU cost, so you might want to consider spending a little more on the CPU and compromising on the GPU. Most other sims are less demanding on the CPU. The other parts look fine to me. Other people will probably be able to tell you the actual fps you can expect with both builds. What do you consider to be "high" refresh rate?

As for 1440p... it's totally a matter of personal taste, I'd say. My old eyes consider 1080p to be pretty close to infinity ;)

Upvote 0
Ill say this...

My last upgrade was a 32" 1440p monitor.. I REALLY wish I would have went with triple 1080p instead.. I really just dont see much more (if any honestly) quality in the picture..

I have a very high end PC btw..

Upvote 0
Hello all!
I have made made the mistake ($$$) of venturing into sim racing and I’m about to build my first ever setup. I’ve done a ton of research and feel confident about my choices when it comes to the rig, wheel and pedals but I’m very hesitant to pull the trigger on a PC and a monitor.

My situation:
1) I enjoy high quality graphics and will probably drive mostly in ACC and Project Cars. I’m used to Forza so it’ll be an adjustment as far as driving btw.
2) $1000 is a hard limit for PC. I’d prefer to stay under $800. This PC will be used ONLY for sim racing (two, three games max) as I have a console and a work laptop for other tasks.
3) $500 is a hard limit for monitor

My questions:
1) Will this PC be capable of running ACC at high settings on a single monitor in 1440p at a high refresh rate?
budget option:
High end alternative: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/RPTwrH/great-amd-gaming-build

any suggestions as far as parts used?

2) What’s your favorite 30-32 inch monitor these days?
I came up with this MSI but I’m open to any better options in the $300-450 range. Since I’ll only run one screen due to room constraints the bigger the better imo

3) as a newbie Should I target 1440p or just good old 1080p? Again, we’re talking about a single screen setup.

thanks for your help! I can’t wait to start driving!!!

Nvm...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ill say this...

My last upgrade was a 32" 1440p monitor.. I REALLY wish I would have went with triple 1080p instead.. I really just dont see much more (if any honestly) quality in the picture..

I’d love the tripples but I don’t have enough space...

Upvote 0
Ill say this...

I just returned a 32" 1440p monitor. The ppi is about the same as a 24" 1080p monitor which isn't that great. I also found the monitor a bit tall. Not a huge deal in the sim because you can change the camera height in game but it wastes more pixels on the roof of the car. I'm replacing it with a 34" ultrawide 1440p that is supposed to be about the same height as a 27" monitor.

Upvote 0
You're going to have a hard time driving 100 hz in modded ACC with a GTX 1660 Ti. It's not impossible but it won't be ideal.
I disagree with 2600 not being fast enough single threaded. It's plenty powerful for Assetto Corsa. Power supplies are crazy expensive right now... Maybe Reddit hardware swap has a reasonable one for a better price?
The one place I would upgrade would be the GPU, to an RX 5700 if possible.

Upvote 0
You're going to have a hard time driving 100 hz in modded ACC with a GTX 1660 Ti. It's not impossible but it won't be ideal.
I agree that it'll be hard, based even just on the CPU.
For example, I don't quite reach 100 fps with an i7-7700K, even with pretty low graphics settings (on a GTX 970) with NO AIs at all. I now realise that @Exo3 didn't say if the rig will be used online or against AIs.
I disagree with 2600 not being fast enough single threaded. It's plenty powerful for Assetto Corsa.
It's plenty powerful for AC, yes, but not for ACC. Let's see if someone who owns one can chip in, but from what I can see online of its single-thread performance vs. my CPU, I think it will be considerably slower.
What data are you considering when you say you think it will be fast enough?

Edit: I can no longer recall which track I was using when I last played with the ACC graphics settings and managed to get the no-vsync fps up from 75 to ~95. But... I just tried again (with Zandvoort, which was my most recent track) and it was getting around 130 fps on an empty track at 1080p and when I dropped to 720p (just to check if the CPU was limiting at all) it sat at around 200fps. I am now entirely baffled about my original results. This may also mean that the 2600 is more than up to the job, but I'd play it safe and get someone who owns one to confirm that ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It may just be me, but I dont see too much of a difference between 1080p and 1440p, but that could be the just from a 22" 1080p to a 27" 1440p meaning a similar pixel density!
As for what can run it, I run ACC on high settings (apart from mirrors pretty much) and get between 80 and 120(capped) FPS on my 1440p monitor using an R5 3600 and 1660ti.

IF you can stretch to an ulta-wide monitor in the budget id recommend it, just remember that this will need a punchier GPU.

Your alternative option looks better, though I wouldn't use MSI's X570 boards. Their B450 and B550 yes, but their X570s really let them down! Also, that case seems an awful lot? Especially as thermaltake are known for not making the best design decisions in the world!

Something like this combo might work

Its about on budget. TBH, to go ultrawide having a slightly better GPU would help, but this would fit the budget for now, and a GPU upgrade in the future wouldnt be restricted by the CPU too much. Sadly I wasnt able to get much better on the monitor front, ultrawide starts at around $500 budget-wise.

Upvote 0
IF you can stretch to an ulta-wide monitor in the budget id recommend it, just remember that this will need a punchier GPU.

Your alternative option looks better, though I wouldn't use MSI's X570 boards. Their B450 and B550 yes, but their X570s really let them down! Also, that case seems an awful lot? Especially as thermaltake are known for not making the best design decisions in the world!

Something like this combo might work

Its about on budget. TBH, to go ultrawide having a slightly better GPU would help, but this would fit the budget for now, and a GPU upgrade in the future wouldnt be restricted by the CPU too much. Sadly I wasnt able to get much better on the monitor front, ultrawide starts at around $500 budget-wise.
The case price went up since my setup was put together. I agree, it's not worth the current price.
Tomahawk boards are sold out everywhere I checked - otherwise I like your setup.

I really like ultrawide monitors, but they're pricey (in my opinion). Also, is 8ms response time not too much for sim racing? Many youtubers suggest 5ms at max. Is ultra-wide worth the tradeoff? Perhaps I could use one of the 24inch monitors from my home office for a few months and then upgrade to an ultra-wide when I find a good deal (black friday etc.)....?

As far as driving with AI goes (menioned earlier in the thread, I'm not against it. At first, I'll be doing hot-laps just to learn physics and any new tracks, but eventually I'd like to do some real racing ;)

Let me summarize the feedback received in this thread. Please point out if you disagree with any of the points as I might have misunderstood some things:
- CPU: go with Ryzen 5 3600
- GPU: go with something better than GTX1660
- RAM: 16gb is the way to go
- HD: 500gb SSD is the way to go considering I will not play more than 2-3 games.
- Power: the cheapest that can handle the above?
- Case: whatever is left from my budget?
- 1440p is overrated but it appears to be the standard for monitors bigger than 27 inches
- tripple monitors > single - but it's not an option for me due to space requirements
- ACC should run on the above setup without issues, maybe not 100fps but it won't dip below 60fps either.

Upvote 0
Got it. I will not get a no-name brand.

What about a motherboard? Is there something that's a must-have? Certain models or brands to avoid?

Upvote 0
Asrock Fatality MBs have served me well. I have used quite a few (currently have one as my daily) and never had a single failure.

And I second the "dont get the cheapest PS" statement above.. Thats not something you wanna cheap out on. Ive always seemed to have crashing or overclocking issues with cheap power supplies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got it. I will not get a no-name brand.

What about a motherboard? Is there something that's a must-have? Certain models or brands to avoid?

Motherboard all depends on which chipset you are going with, as brands seem to vary wildly between chipsets for VRM quality and I/O amounts.

As for the case being 'whatever is left in the budget' id always say that its better to invest a little bit if you can get good airflow and layout, as keeping the PC cool will mean more overclocking room and/or more reliability in the long term.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsuVSmND84QtrMP_niRTD2zIa3uUhxIvn The team at gamers nexus have done a lot of case reviews, choosing a video and skipping to the graphs should give you a good idea of whats good and whats not :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Re: CPU. I'm planning on picking up AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Matisse 3.6GHz 6-Core AM4. I found a deal for $160 which seems pretty good. This being said, are there any motherboards you'd recommend for this processor?
While O/C capabilities are important to many, my times messing with O/C are probably over :) As I grow older I just want to turn console/computer on and just play. Call me old/lazy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Asrock Fatality MBs have served me well. I have used quite a few (currently have one as my daily) and never had a single failure.

And I second the "dont get the cheapest PS" statement above.. Thats not something you wanna cheap out on. Ive always seemed to have crashing or overclocking issues with cheap power supplies.

Edwin Spangler.... Think I remember you from the FPS, Battlefield 1. I was often on servers that you played on as well. (mostly 'Conquest' mode...what we used to call in the old days, 'Capture the Flag'). My user name in BF1 was 'Athletic-Anchovy', 'DFWallace', or 'JuryPoolReject'.

Upvote 0
Edwin Spangler.... Think I remember you from the FPS, Battlefield 1. I was often on servers that you played on as well. (mostly 'Conquest' mode...what we used to call in the old days, 'Capture the Flag'). My user name in BF1 was 'Athletic-Anchovy', 'DFWallace', or 'JuryPoolReject'.
Hell yea, I remember.. I PM'd you about it a coupe months ago. I still sorta stay in touch/say hi in their discord every once in a while. Amazingly fun times.. DICE can go jump in a hole lol.

=SEC-8= EdwinSpangler

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back