PC Buying help wanted....

do NOT buy the GTX 460 now... AMD video cards that just got released (6850 and 6870) are faster, cheaper and consume less power... if you want the GTX 460 then wait for NVIDIA to drop the price... it is a very good card (I've got it in my PC) but it's not worth buying at the moment...

I'm a bit confused, I found a review where both cards are compared, and in every game the 6870 is better, except for the only race game they tested, Colin mcrae dirt 2, so then I still don't know what card to choose.
Is there a chance that with the new cards coming from both nvidia and ATI that the prizes of the older cards will significantly drop?

Its all about the game engines. For example Dirt 2 uses different game engine than rFactor/rFactor 2. Dirt 2 suits Nvidia cards better than Ati cards so you get better frame rate in that particular game but the tables are turned in other games. So its usually better to buy a card that is fast in most of the games rather than just one.
I dont believe in big price drops with Ati 6850&6870 and Nvidia GTX 460 models.

The new Ati & Nvidia cars will be flagship models so they will be priced accordingly (rumoured over 400€). Those cards should be tested and available in this month so perhaps you should wait just little bit before upgrading your computer.

I understand those cards won't drop in prize quickly, but I was also looking at the 5870, which seems to be a very good card. It costs now about 300 euro, so if it would become soon cheaper than 250 euro's than I would consider buying that card.
So do you guys think that that card will drop in prize within about a month?

yes, it is faster than both the GTX 460 and the 6870... it will probably go down in price, but only after AMD releases its new high-end cards so you will have to wait for that... one more thing - if you would be willing to spend a bit more money, you could crossfire two 6850s and you would get a LOT more performance than from a single 5870... just an idea :)

it is a big improvement....but I will also still wait if budget is not your concern.....as the new 580GTX might be released in these days or weeks ;)
so you have more options to look into

(offtopic: I still find it odd that the 6870 is not powerful enough....as with the 5870....it seems more a step back in AMD's department....they should have named it 6850 or at least 6770...but that is for another thread :))

Its a long story to explain, but the point is that I need a new system within a month, so I think this means I can better go for the gtx460 at the moment?

@chris: Budget is not a big issue, but I'm NOT willing to pay over 400 euro's for a graphics card, because that is just too expensive.

Don't know if this will help, but just built Rig XI to carry the next 3 years (for reference, Rig I was a 80286-12 in 1988). I never select absolute newest technology - make sure its solid and save some cash.

MSI X58 PRO-E USB3 (PCI-E X3)
Core i7 950, Stock cooling (for now)
6 GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHZ
WD VelociRaptor 300 GB 10000RPM
WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM (brought over from Rig X, which still has 2TB on it - included all my downloaded game material, saves a ton of time)
Ultra 750W PS
ATI 5850 1GB @ 755 MHZ (only 1)
Cooler Master Case (side loading drive bays - love this).
Lite-On Blue Ray
HP LS DVD (Reads/Writes DVD/CD faster than the Blue-Ray)
Ultra internal USB Card Reader
Windows 7 Pro

No issues from the first time I fired it up. Seamless build, no conflicts, no fuss, Win 7 installed in about 12 minutes - I'd say they've taken some of the fun out of it, but I'm older now and don't really feel like setting a dozen IRQ settings by trial and error :cool:.

Thanks for the advice Eric.

I was just looking at some motherboards, and I see many of them don't support ddr3 PC16000, even the very good ones not. Does that mean I have to look for another RAM then the one Christopher posted?

well choosing a ram card is like a russian roulette :)
you can go with a higher frequency, but if it has a higher cas, then it is not really worth it is it might be as fast as a lower frequency, but with a lower cas.
also sometimes in the memory support list of the motherboard, they might not put a certain ram module as being supporting, but it does tend to work....
in the end it is up to you. I know I choose the P6T SE for my gf as it is standard, not planning to overclock it and still runs around the same performance at the more featured (and more expensive) motherboards

btw I forgot to point out
if you want a bigger HD, maybe you can also look at the Samsung series (F3?) as I keep hearing them to be faster (and a bit cheaper in price per gig)......i only choose WD as I trusted them for a long long time

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 103 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 53 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 109 13.3%