Pastor Maldonado Confirmed at Lotus for 2016

Chris

Premium
Pastor-Maldonado_3180600.jpg
Lotus have today revealed that they have resigned Venezuelan driver Pastor Maldonado for the 2016 Formula One season.

Team principal of the Enstone outfit Gerard Lopez said that, "It’s a positive for the future of Lotus F1 Team that we are able to confirm publicly that Pastor remains with us for next season. Everyone at Enstone will testify that Pastor is a terrific person to work with and we all know the performances he is capable of on track."

Whilst many believe that Maldonado is not up to par with what is required from a Formula One driver, and even reports of Lotus becoming increasingly frustrated with his on track errors, there is no getting away from the sizable pot of gold that he brings to the team (rumoured to be in excess of $60 million) thanks to his partnership with Venezuelan oil giant PDVSA. Lotus are in dire need of such funds as their existence currently hangs in the balance during talks of a potential buy out from Renault.

In light of the signing, Maldonado has stated: "This season has presented us with some challenges but the quality of the squad at Enstone is clear to see. I really feel part of the family at Enstone and I’m looking forward to building on the work done this year to deliver better results in 2016."

Whether he is able to snap out of his often wayward streaks and deliver on the pace that he is capable of showing is uncertain, but what is certain is that we will be seeing Maldonados' fiery and abrupt style on the grid for at least one more season.

Do you think this is the right decision by Lotus?

Last edited:
Tragic, truly tragic decision. Really sad.
Shows how bad this team is doing.

Is embarassing race after race have to see this guy crashing both animated and unanimated things everywhere on the circuits around the world.

Well, Renault will most probably buy Lotus... ...And Maldo aka Crashtor is coming with a bigger paycheck.
Not sure if want (yet)
I've used to like him back in 2011, and certainly in 2012 with his win in Catalunya... ...But then.

Its a horrible desicion, especially if Grosjean goes elsewhere. I really thought that if the Renault takeover was going to happen, then Crashtor will be on his way out. Renault don't have a financial issue so Maldonado wouldn't be needed. Now it comes down to who will team up with Maldonado.

And there I was hoping to never see this guy in Formula 1 again. It's not just his crashes,
this guy is not even a good driver. Grosjean has more than double the points and has
completely outqualified him. He really does drop the level a lot.

ha, lots of guys not liking Maldonado at Lotus :laugh:
and I agree.
he did win Barcelona 2012 and was looking for a podium in Valencia same year (this guy likes Spain for some reason :D), but since then I haven't really seen him be quick, not even at Barcelona in later years.

also, I think the team around him says something.
in Williams until 2013, and in 2014 he leaves for Lotus. Williams becomes good again, and Lotus becomes terrible :rolleyes:

EDIT

Looks like the Venezuelan oil industry is going to be paying HMRC and many other creditors. I believe Bernie won't give Renault the money they want.

I am disappointed if Renault come back into F1 as full works team with that chump as a driver. No matter how much money he brings, I am sure the Renault - Nissan group can afford to do without him.

Also from a humanistic aspect the fact the Venezuelan government feel it is acceptable to waste $60 million a year on that buffoon when most of their people are in abject poverty is abhorrent.

Last edited:
I don't think that Lotus have had a choice as the 900k HMRC bill is due, just to keep them in business for now....plus the spend here is compromising their chances already for 2016....I wouldn't look for any new upgrades to their car for the rest of the season here, plus the takeover rumours about Renault I can't see coming to fruition now hence the quick signing of Crashtor once again.

Am I the only one that appreciates a guy that gives f1 entertainment? I mean...some races are so boring that I love when this guy makes his **** and everything looks crazy for a moment. Like the button incident on Sunday. He is an exciting driver. He gives money to the team. The car appears a lot in the tv broadcast because of him (usually broken...yeah I know hahahaha).

F1 is a show and this guy takes it to another unexplored level.

Am I the only one that appreciates a guy that gives f1 entertainment? I mean...some races are so boring that I love when this guy makes his **** and everything looks crazy for a moment. Like the button incident on Sunday. He is an exciting driver. He gives money to the team. The car appears a lot in the tv broadcast because of him (usually broken...yeah I know hahahaha).

he is potentially risking other people's lives also..
and ruining McLaren's already slim points chances in that example :laugh:

It can really only be about the money since Lotus is in financial trouble. Pastor isn't skilled enough to be in F1 and he's a danger to everyone else on the grid.

It would be alright if he was getting results while being entertaining like Verstappen for instance...but he doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes like Grosjean and Perez have done and turned a corner in performance. He is just jeopardising whatever team he's with.

You're the only one I'm sorry LOL

Here's me hoping they confirmed him to secure some money for now, and that if Renault decides to buy the team his contract will be invalid, not that I like Renault or Lotus particularly, they can have him for all I care, but I'd rather not see this clown on track in 2016.

If you can let the team run by the funds Pastor brings in it's hard to say no I guess. Or they just have a great / bad sense of humor at Lotus :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 405 40.1%