WIP Parramatta Park 1952 GP 2 Mile Circuit

email received

crappy intahwebs connection continues till the 1st june... next version (ß) relsease coming then! loooks good too if im allowed to say :)

oh, and less craptacular videos...

AND the BTB file if folks want to have a look at it :)

cheers
ed

latest screen shot mainly to test out this file attachment business

cheers
ed

Attachments

• Parramatta_Scr_0001.jpg
    Parramatta_Scr_0001.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 666
yeah, thanks :) texture is real verge from the track.

a few people have asked for the textures, so ill make a zip file of them next week.

another gratuitous screenshot :)

cheers
ed

Attachments

• Parramatta_Scr_0002.jpg
    Parramatta_Scr_0002.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 628
update time!!

okkay, i have internet... my god, fast internet. just downloaded all my outstanding tv shows this morning in around 3hrs... 17Gb! haha... i love it

ANYWAY....

quick screenshot, and a youtube video undwerway. BTB file pack available later this afternoon :)

PS, latest lap record is now 1.15.58.... beat that !! (aston marrtin dbr9)

cheers
ed

Attachments

• parramatta_scr_0003.jpg
    parramatta_scr_0003.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 233
BETA video update...
(WAY better quality. fixed the compression)

installed trackside cameras (yay!)
more terrain refinement
revised sector through railway corner
more trees
more models

video of actual lap 1.15.58 ... excuse the few mistakes!

cheers
ed

That is looking sooo fine!

I noticed that shadows pop in at odd moments... what's up with that? (and I'm asking as a trackbuilder, not stating it as a criticism. Figure somebody must have a quick answer and it seems like the answer would be useful for all)

and finally.... the BTB PROJECT FOLDER... in its entirety

http://www.v-eight.com/multimedia/Parramatta_Park_RaceDept_BTB_Release_v101.zip

128Mb
Unzip directly into your BTB 'My Projects' folder

a few things worth mentioning... this is my first, and only track ive ever made, so if anyone has a look inside it and reckons its a bit messy, disorganised, and not greatly optimised, you'd be right! haha. IF you think you could offer to simplify it, optimise it a little, or do whatever 'tweaks' you freaky talented pepole do to make it really scream along, it would be GREATLY APPRECIARED! I really would like to bring this up a notch, and get the finishing touches right. Im not 100% I can do that myself, so any and all help is great

and one last thing, please only download this 128Mb file if you really mean it :) my sever can hack the bandwidth, but not if everyone decides to download it 10 times each :)

cheers
ed

I noticed that shadows pop in at odd moments... what's up with that?

It seems to only be something that troubles the video playback from the 'fridge' and not something that actually occurs in game. Even when you watch a race 'live' from the same cameras during a game, or even a quick replay, its doesnt do that. Ive only seen it do it on these videos. Go figure?

And cheers fellas for the comments. its good to hear when you think of how many hours are in there!

cheers
ed

If your BTB project folder is 128mb, then the likelyhood is that the actual rFactor track folder will be smaller, so why not stick that in a RAR file and upload that ;)

EDIT - Better yet, read up about MAS files, get the MAS tool and do a 'super-tidy' of your track folder by putting stuf in MAS files.

track folder is one post further up ;)
i put the BTB track folder there should anyone feel excited enough to have a peer through it and highlight my ****ups !

cheers
ed

Man, that is stunning! It's one thing to watch a YouTube video... it's a whole 'nother thing to experience it from the driver's seat in 2560x1600!

Suggestions:
1) There are a couple of missing polygons from an interior road intersection, just after the first bridge.
2) The windows on the house flickered a couple times.
3) Fill in the terrain on the opposite bank of the river so when using a wingman view pulled far back you won't see the obvious skybox. Doesn't have to be perfectly beautiful, just has to exist.
4) Add spectators to give it a little more life (or do they pop into place once you're out of practice and into race?).
5) The heavily shadowed section kills framerates. My video card was state-of-the art 2.5 years ago and I think I saw 40 fps in that section instead of the usual 100 fps (admittedly, I'm pushing a lot of pixels)... folks with lesser cards will have to turn down/off shadows. I don't know how many textures or how big they are in that section, but that might also be hurting framerates.

I had trouble at the pylons. Not knowing the course, I couldn't tell which direction to go or how sharp they are. The trick to providing a more visual clue is to space the pylons closer on the approach and further apart on the exit. You can also park a vehicle or add spectators on the branch you don't take.

The Formula 5000 AI (ver 2) can't take the turns. Don't worry about it too much as it has troubles on many tracks. If you do want to make it a little easier on the AI, you'll have to pull the fast path back a couple of feet from the edge of the track... a little bit goes a long ways and might not hurt the other mods performance as much as you think.

cheers mate!

the FPS thing has been bugging me too. i get down to 36fps crossing the creek. i think one of the major tasks i have to sit down and just suffer through, is setting LOD individually to all the small detailed stuff. there are 13,000 objects around the track, all basically set LOD in at 600m. that could be screwing things up a bit!

any other ideas for improving fps short of just removing objects to reduce poly count?

As for the course and certain cars making corners etc, what i hope to do is release say 3 different configurations of the track. one of which will be a circuit around the 'current road' which bypasses the hairpin, and doesnt detour via the old Govt House. that is a lot faster circuit. you CAN drive that way if you like right now, just drive straight through the orange cones and keep your foot down! those sections of road are basically already complete, though they could do with some fine tuning, plus adding scenery to give you brake markers etc

the other things you mention are on, or are now on, my ever increasing to-do list :)

but yeah, glad you enjoy it, its an atmospheric, immersive track!

cheers
ed

So I just had a go with the Eastcars mod; I like driving a Level 4 Vaz (Lada 2101) and it's a hoot to end up out in the undergrowth by one of the bridges. The AI are dropping a wheel off the pavement pretty consistently, so pulling the path (or even just the corridor) in by 6" would cut that down. There's also some random, unsupported tree bits floating at eye level... when I've used those same trees, I recall being able to rotate them 90 degrees got rid of that floating bit. Either that or I resized the tree. Might be worthwhile just popping in with a graphics program and editing the texture directly?

i dont mind the AI taking the fast line through a bit of leaf litter or on the verge of the tarmac here and there... its a real racing line, kicks up a bit of dust, just as it would as if you were really ploughing a line through the hillsides.

ill have a look at things like the corridors around the hairpin etc, as well as that texture thats hanging down.

cheers
ed

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back