1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panthera Free

Discussion in 'Racer' started by Cosmo°, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Alexander Knoll

Alexander Knoll
    NEVER GIVE UP!!

Ratings:
    +286
    At the Cruden site, you maybe have to signin and fill out a formular, then you get a Link for DL or a mail with the link, like me...

Alex

2. Alexander Knoll

Alexander Knoll
    NEVER GIVE UP!!

Ratings:
    +286
    Moin,
    it feels verry good...
    My fps, at default settings, are 150fps...i use a GTX970...
    Öhm...is it possible to copy and paste "old"content to the "new" version? or is there some thing to change...

Alex

3. skybh

skybh

Ratings:
    +267
    For cars, i've just made copy/paste, and done :D

4. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +463
    Cars with the standard shaders should work fine, as should tracks.

No such luck for custom shaders from the Rc5c vintage though :(

I'm not sure what to think at this stage.

There is loads of new features here in audio but I'm not sure exactly how to use them. It looks like accelerate_out and accelerate_in can do all the engine duties now, but only with one event... the engine.
    What about exhaust events, so we can have an engine noise from the front, and exhaust at the back?
    There is no 'holder' for those events unless you can specify many events within accelerate_out/in from what I can tell.

So maybe this Fmod support is very early, but so far it's implementation only repeats what we already have.

Is full Fmod support on the horizon?

I'm eager to hear what Ruud has planned for the very near future wrt fixing any bugs present and also his future views to what might change more for filling out all these new features.

It's really tough to want to spend the many hours making some great default content when it might all just be out-dated again in 6 months.

Ruud, if you're genuinely interested in getting a finished car implemented with all of these features as an example car, I'm happy work on one with you.
    It can use all the latest features as an example, use new shaders for car paints + materials (PBR, they're already made by and large), Fmod sets for audio, scripts for special dials etc, and just generally be as good as Racer can be.

All I ask in return is that where we hit stumbling blocks, we fix the issues so anyone else making fully featured content will have a smooth time doing so!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cosmo°

Cosmo°

Ratings:
    +53
  6. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +463
    Bummer. I just dumped it over my old folder forgetting I'd been tweaking atmosphere.cg lots!

I'd documented most of it but still haha, ah well.

Still fighting to get the old asphalt shader working, and the PBR stuff, but mostly it's getting there for now.

The only thing really 'wrong' with regards getting all that stuff working is the missing/faulty TGA cube map reflection method. I've got this feeling Ruud has removed it but I can't be sure as I've not heard back from him.

Still, for cars at least we can get very nice materials working with this approach, and as a rough fix for track materials, fake an environment lighting a rough way, and when cube maps return just toggle it back on!

Hmmm

Dave

7. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +463
    Meh, I seem to be getting weird green-out issues in reflection maps now, occasionally.

It seems worse the more 'mipped' the envmap is... almost like the envmap is getting out of range colours and when they're mipped they go off the scale and green-out the envmap!?

Maybe it's my squiffy shaders but there isn't too much in there that wasn't just copied across from the old ones which worked fine.

I need to do more testing across the latest versions of Panthera to see if anything was broken/is broken and figure out what.

Oh for a changelog (in detail) from version to version, then I could easily pin point possible issues and focus on them, rather than hours of poking in the dark at stuff!

Dave

8. sti228

sti228

Ratings:
    +74

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +463
    Just curious if anyone has checked in on the Panthera download recently?

Is it still at the circa July 2016 release 8.12.14?

I'm too busy right now to take a look, but might do in the next few days... just curious if anyone else knew already to save me checking.

Cheers

Dave

10. Raphael Buthmann

Raphael Buthmann

Ratings:
    +275

Unfortunately, yes :'(

11. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +463
    I remember Ruud mentioning a yearly Panthera update schedule, so perhaps we'll see a new version soon, or maybe towards summer.

Hmmm

Dave

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sti228

sti228

Ratings:
    +74
    So rad !

13. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +463
    Soooo we're in summer 2017 and we should have a new Panthera release by now?!

Since I've lost the direct download link, and don't want to do the questionnaire again, can anyone tell me if we're still on the circa July 2016 8.12.14 version?

I'm pretty gutted that after a year Ruud has written one message here, and hasn't elaborated on the missing LDR cube/TGA maps feature in Panthera and if they'll ever appear.

Cheers

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  14. Raphael Buthmann

Raphael Buthmann

Ratings:
    +275
    http://pantherafree.com/download/panthera_free.zip

And yes... unfortunately.

15. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +463
    Haha, cheers for checking.

Lets see by August.

I emailed Ruud but no reply yet on the Panthera yearly update.

16. Harey

Harey

Ratings:
    +618
    I guess you'll see if he even responds. I would think there would be an update coming soon here.

17. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +463
    Well I've not heard back from Ruud still.

I'm assuming Panthera is still on v1 release too?

I'd bet Cruden are thinking of going and doing something in UDK/Unity etc... then they can focus just on the interface side of stuff rather than graphics, audio, built in physics, networking etc.

Is anyone still up for an RC5c (ish) based line in the sand to make some standardised content for?

I'd hope, maybe, if we get some solid stuff working really nicely, and there are small core issues to make it perfect (tweaks to make things work as expected, not whole re-works to add/expand features), that Ruud might help fix them for our version.

Ooor, are there enough interested parties to try something open/free in udk/unity (probably udk)?

Given the past successes of Racer, I think there is space for an 'open' racing game that's community content driven.
    It just needs to have a plan that keeps multiplayer functionality at its core, and a less is more approach to the framework (ie, just spawn and do what you want, a bit like real life)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Harey

Harey

Ratings:
    +618
    I'd be interested basically an updated 050f version (that's effectively what you're talking about here), to give us a base line to build content on.

But at the same time I could see basically rebuilding the game in something open as being a good idea going forward as well, though this way I think would give us issues in building a more or less finalized version to build on.

19. Silver Ranger

Silver Ranger

Ratings:
    +690
    Yeah a base line version would be great.