Palmersport experience

I had the good fortune of taking part in a palmersport GT afternoon a few weeks back and I thought I would post and say how amazing it was - my wife bought me it for my 40th.

The venue was the Bedford Autodrome and I drove 3 cars, Caterham, Clio Cup and a BMW M2 Competition. The Caterham was definately my least favourite. It was very loose and understeerEd and oversteered all over the show, I had some big moments where huge opposite locks were applied. Being 6ft 2, I felt quite cramped in the cockpit despite the seat being far back as it could go, my knees were jammed right up under the steering wheel, every kerb I bounced over my knees took a beating, eventually out of our group of 8 people I finished 4th fastest.

Next up was the Clio Cup and so you get bussed to a different part of the complex where the Clios were housed. I have always been a huge fan of the Clio’s from the BTCC package and have again always wanted to drive a proper race bred touring car. Getting into the car you get strapped in. No such problems in the cockpit in this car, loads of room and I was very comfortable. Then are told to move off using the awkward clutch, I was told to give it loads of revs, the race gearbox clattered and started to whine as I left the pits and the noise was incredible, it felt like 100mph but I was only going 40. The turn in ability was fantastic and I quickly got the feel for the car and started to push. I was staggered how easy the car was to drive, the car felt so progressive, the thing that stood out the most was the mid corner grip when on the power, there was just no understeer at all, the instructor was telling me to push more and more, “full power now” I couldn’t believe the car would stick but it did. Heading down the fastest section of track the car reached perhaps 120mph, changing up the sequential shifter the lights flash on to shift up, on doing so there is a loud audible pop from the exhaust, the instructor telling me to keep hard on the gas, then jump on the brakes into the final double apex last turn, again 1/3rd into the corner he barked “full power now” so I did he said “muller that kerb” so I threw the car over the kerb, it popped up onto two wheels for a moment then came back down totally settled. A couple of times I went into corners a little deep and the rear end came round slightly but again totally progressive and easy to catch. It was a car I could have driven all day long, a fantastic bit of kit. At the end of the day I was fastest out of our group of 8 but only 2nd out of the full group of 16 participants.

Lastly came the BMW M2 and frankly I was a little nervous about driving a 400-something bhp race prepped RWD car as I feared it would be something wild and evil to drive, however it was so controllable and confidence inspiring. The car itself had a stripped out interior, roll cage, massive rear wing and front spoiler. I was totally surprised how easy it was to slide about out of corners, really communicative and was a dream to drive, so I began to push and throw the car over kerbs and the car was sticking to the road - much to my surprise. The instructors all tell you to push push push and go faster which is unlike other race events I have done. This instructor for the BMW was telling me to take corners flat that I just couldn’t believe would work, initially I couldn’t do it as I didn’t believe it would stick however after a few laps I built more confidence and was throwing the car over kerbs and taking those fast chicanes flat and it was a great car. Sadly i was only 3rd fastest out of the full 16 group.

Just a really superb experience that I would not hesitate to do again.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%