Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Jolyon Palmer .jpg

The long expected early switch of Carlos Sainz to Renault has now been confirmed, potentially ending Jolyon Palmer's brief adventures in Formula One.

With a deal already in place to see Sainz heading over to Enstone for the 2018 season, agreed as a sweetener by Toro Rosso to extract themselves out of their engine supply contract early ahead of a switch to Honda power next season, the agreement has now been brought forward to the United States Grand Prix later this month.

Initially it was thought that Palmer would remain seated in the second Renault drive for the remainder of 2017 thanks to his contractual situation, however with continuing disappointing performances from the British former GP2 champion a way has been engineered to remove the 26-year-old from his drive early, pretty much drawing to a close a less than spectacular career at the pinnacle of open wheel racing.

Palmer hasn't been performing anywhere near the level expected by driver and team at the beginning of their relationship in Formula One, and with what will be 35 races together the Briton has only managed a career best sixth position, achieved at the Singapore Grand Prix earlier this year.

Speaking at Suzuka following confirmation that Sainz will be taking over his drive for the remainder of the season starting at the US Grand Prix at Austin this October 22nd, Palmer was keen to stress he remains committed to performing at a high level for the forthcoming Grand Prix on Sunday;

"The Japanese Grand Prix will be my last race for Renault," the Briton confirmed. "It’s been an extremely challenging season and I’ve been through a lot in the last three years, but it’s been a tremendous journey overall with the team.

"I can look back proudly at the performance in the second half of last season, my first point in Malaysia and of course reaching a career high of sixth place in Singapore this year. I wish the team all the best for the future.

"My immediate focus is now on achieving the best possible result in the Japanese GP, and then I can assess my options for the future."
On the other side of the deal an early move to Renault means the reinstatement of Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso alongside impressive rookie Pierre Gasly, giving the Russian driver another opportunity to prove he has what it takes to remain a Formula One driver in 2018 and beyond.

With Sainz now confirmed at Renault from Austin onwards, the Spanish driver was full of praise for a Toro Rosso team who gave him his debut in Grand Prix racing, and looked forward to ending the partnership on a high at Suzuka;

"First of all I would like to thank Toro Rosso and Red Bull for allowing me the possibility of finishing this season with Renault Sport Racing," Sainz said.

"More specifically, I really want to thank all my engineers and mechanics for their support and tremendous work throughout these years. Toro Rosso is made up of a fantastic group of people and I wish them only the best for the future.

"On my side, I will definitely do my very best in tomorrow’s race… this would be the best possible send-off! Additionally, competing in these last four races with Renault gives me a good opportunity to get to know the team and the car earlier than expected. I am looking forward to start working with them."
Sainz will start the Grand Prix tomorrow from 19th position thanks to a penalty incurred due to changing of mechanical parts, and Palmer will begin the race just one place higher in 18th position on the grid, four places lower than his qualifying position of P14.

For more from the world of Formula One racing check out our Formula One Sub Forum and get yourself involved in the community discussion today!

Looking forward to seeing Sainz in a Renault from the next round? Does Palmer deserve another shot in Formula One? Who do you think will come out on top of the Hulkenberg / Sainz partnership next year? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

damn !!!!!
I'm a bit sad for palmer, looks like a nice guy...and...sad too for gasly (at this point you should say : "why ?")..cause, I suppose that Torro Rosso will need 2 drivers for Austin..so gasly will not be abble to fight in the Superformula final ....
@++

Why the rush?..Oh, I get it!... The Russian oligarchs who finances Kvyat's F1 paid ride stopped the checks going to Red Bull/Torro Rosso with a "Get Kvyat in a car or else payments go bye bye". Does anyone else see the obvious here or is it just my imagination? Why is Kvyat still in F1? He crashes just as many cars as Palmer and he keeps coming back? He's like a cat with nine lives..lol

Sorry Palmer, In F1, you either have to be very talented like a Vettel or Lewis and be in a top winning team or be mediocre but with lots of cash backing you up to stay in F1 and be in a mid pack team. F1 is a brutal and cut throat business for sure.

I really don't mean this as a personal attack directed at anyone, just a genuine/innocent observation: I'm always surprised how much sympathy Palmer garners. I really don't care - people can sympathize or not sympathize with whichever driver strikes their fancy, as far as I'm concerned...just genuinely surprised to see how many people stick up for Palmer, because it seems to me the most remarkable thing about him is his total mediocrity. It's not like he's got some inspiring backstory or a magnetic personality or anything like that.

Formula one loose one of the best talented driver of these days.
i will miss him, as i miss pastor and bruno senna and all those legend F1 drivers.
I hope the best for Palmer
Hopefully Lance is still there.

a thought for the Renault F1 Team, they must be devastated

That is Motorsports money talks & bull **** walks , talent is nothing without backing , less you are lucky like the very top drivers who have both the backing money wise & the Talent , then for the rest it is just a lottery.

Even with talent all you need is a bad run and you could be out on your ear.
We live in a age of Marketing & Spin & PR lots of good drivers do not even make it into F1 due to lack of backing.
On the flip side just landing a major sponsor for a team can come with strings attached like Honda want a Japaneses driver to be in the No 2 seat car.

Some lack lust drivers can have major money behind them some thing that no mid field team is going to turn down no matter how bad the driver is.

My god there have been some really bad payed for drivers in F1 over the decades , I would be amazed to see some body like Mansel make it into modern F1 under the current format he would never have stood a chance.
But that is Motorsport always been the same.

I have to agree with Nick... why the sympathy? Of course it sucks to lose your drive before you've even finished the season, but if he was any good then it wouldn't be happening. Sorry Palmer, but you're rubbish. The "top tier" isn't for you, good luck in whatever you find yourself in next.

damn !!!!!
I'm a bit sad for palmer, looks like a nice guy...and...sad too for gasly (at this point you should say : "why ?")..cause, I suppose that Torro Rosso will need 2 drivers for Austin..so gasly will not be abble to fight in the Superformula final ....
@++
i think Pierre is much happier as an f1 driver

I have to agree with Nick... why the sympathy? Of course it sucks to lose your drive before you've even finished the season, but if he was any good then it wouldn't be happening. Sorry Palmer, but you're rubbish. The "top tier" isn't for you, good luck in whatever you find yourself in next.
But at least Palmer seems on the road to finish at Suzuka... :confused::p:roflmao:

But I agree. And the sad part, I doubt Sainz will do really that much better. Yes, he shines at times, but more times he’s not.

And Kvyat, why are they messing that much with him. And why doesn’t Kvyat retires F1 with some pride (if some left)? Though he is one of the better drivers in the sub league in my regard. But he did had his chances and he ****ed them up.

But at least Palmer seems on the road to finish at Suzuka... :confused::p:roflmao:

But I agree. And the sad part, I doubt Sainz will do really that much better. Yes, he shines at times, but more times he’s not.

And Kvyat, why are they messing that much with him. And why doesn’t Kvyat retires F1 with some pride (if some left)? Though he is one of the better drivers in the sub league in my regard. But he did had his chances and he ****ed them up.
Sainz can lap very consistent. So they can develop your car much better. Impossible if a driver does laps that vary so much you never know if it was the setup or driver.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 181 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.1%