Painting silver aluminium profile rig

Hi,

Want to go black, powder coating option is not going to happen due to costs.

Was thinking of building the rig first, then spraying it.

Has anyone had success spray painting a silver aluminium extrusion profile rig? If so what process did you follow?

Thanks

No painted black, not anodized, I think that would have cost a lot to do.
Not sure how companies cost and get their extrusion, so cannot comment.
I thought It was anodised, when I bought it, but was happy with the painted one and after 1 1/2 years still looks reasonably like new with very few noticeable marks.
So would I prefer anodised black, probably not.
:)
I’ve just purchased vinyl wrap….going to give it a go and see how it turns out

Upvote 0
I'm moving 1200 miles - so I disassembled my 5-6 year old rig. It had normal wear/tear scratches, etc. Since I'm reassembling, I thought I would attempt a paint job.

IMG_1740.jpg

I experimented with some fluorescent paint I had hanging around. I was encouraged.

I decided on attempting a McLaren type paint job (Black - main structure, orange - clips, light blue - clips).

IMG_1752.jpg

I painted the aluminum and it almost just rubbed off. I sanded the black paint off and was left with a nice black stripe in the internals. The existing silver powder coat held up pretty well and didn't come off with the sanding of the black paint.

IMG_1816-3.jpg

I'm still doing the clips in orange and all of my extrusions have the black paint in the grooves.

I still have some scratches and battle scars, but I'm not looking for a pristine rig.

Attachments

• IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1816.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%