Painting silver aluminium profile rig

Hi,

Want to go black, powder coating option is not going to happen due to costs.

Was thinking of building the rig first, then spraying it.

Has anyone had success spray painting a silver aluminium extrusion profile rig? If so what process did you follow?

Thanks

My steps for painting anodized aluminum:
Lightly sand blast with aluminum oxide grit, slightly rough surface helps with paint adhesion.
Clean with degreaser, let dry.
Break out the rattle cans. :)

Upvote 0
I would never paint aluminium profiles. The paint will chip off easily and eventually fall off completelly, ending up in a catastrophic aesthetic disaster. Also, how do you plan on painting the areas inside the profiles? Are you also painting the bolts and nuts? Anytime you have to tighten or lossen anything the paint will chip off too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Extruded aluminium paints better than most metals as the surface has excellent adhesion. Don't sand it - you don't want to remove the anodised finish as it will immediately start to oxidise. Nothing out the ordinary needed - thoroughly degrease, and paint. Etch primer would probably do more harm than good - the anodising has already done the job the primer would - only better. Don't expect miracles though - you are going to be rubbing painted metal against painted metal - that never ends well.

Upvote 0
So I've tried a few things over the weekend.

1) no primer, no rubbing down, straight top coat in ordinary halfords gloss Black. - do not do this, it flakes off.

2) no sanding, upol #8 acid etch primer, then top coating in rustoleum combicolor. - took ages to dry, but does not flake, I can rub a coin over the top of it lightly and it doesn't mark, push harder and it does, but then again, so does black anodising.

3) no sanding, no primer, straight topcoat rustoleum combi colour. Very similar to the version that I put primer on first.

So far, I don't think primer is needed with the rustoleum, rustoleum do say a primer is not needed with combi colour.

Next step, I shall be trying different lacquers. Satin and matt.

Upvote 0
Further test,
I have used just primer, ran a screw up and down it and it is rock hard! Which makes me think the previous weakness is possibly in the rustoleum top coat

I have now tried fresh primer, and bog standard Halford car gloss black,

I am hoping Halford paints work the best as a top coat, if they do, a full colour change could be achieved for under £20!

I am still yet to test a lacquer.

Upvote 0
Extruded aluminium paints better than most metals as the surface has excellent adhesion. Don't sand it - you don't want to remove the anodised finish as it will immediately start to oxidise. Nothing out the ordinary needed - thoroughly degrease, and paint. Etch primer would probably do more harm than good - the anodising has already done the job the primer would - only better. Don't expect miracles though - you are going to be rubbing painted metal against painted metal - that never ends well.

This.

people are giving painting advice as if it's raw aluminum. Anodizing is the ultimate acid etch/sealing treatment to make aluminum's o2 reactive surface inert and you're not gonna do better at home. Lots of painted aluminum products are anodized first in fact. De-grease and use your preferred primer/topcoat system or a DTM (direct to metal) product

Upvote 0
Hi,

Want to go black, powder coating option is not going to happen due to costs.

Was thinking of building the rig first, then spraying it.

Has anyone had success spray painting a silver aluminium extrusion profile rig? If so what process did you follow?

Thanks

I had some communication with someone here in Racedepartment a while ago about his rig, not that the wrap covering was part of my interests in it.
He used car wrap, and created a motor sport graphics pattern on his rig, really looked good.
This would be an easy to do, reasonably cheap, great looking Rig.

You can mimick your favourite race car graphics too.:)

Upvote 1
I had some communication with someone here in Racedepartment a while ago about his rig, not that the wrap covering was part of my interests in it.
He used car wrap, and created a motor sport graphics pattern on his rig, really looked good.
This would be an easy to do, reasonably cheap, great looking Rig.

You can mimick your favourite race car graphics too.:)
You wouldn’t remember the thread would you ? Looking to do this myself

Upvote 0
No I do not, I am not sure even if I could remember that he would want me to give his name and rig. He was quite particular about his privacy and was doing me a favour talking to me about his rig. Which I copied, buying very similar.
But doing it is quite easy to do and if diy is not for you, to find someone to do it for you is reasonably cheap and easy, any car wrapper I am sure would do it to your design. :)

Upvote 0
would be happy to send you a picture.
:)

BC8ECBC8-C9A9-4157-A0D8-668B68C57001.jpeg
68349670-D773-4307-8206-0A4214CC10BF.jpeg
799FA845-98AD-4590-920F-A2D404B6AD5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No painted black, not anodized, I think that would have cost a lot to do.
Not sure how companies cost and get their extrusion, so cannot comment.
I thought It was anodised, when I bought it, but was happy with the painted one and after 1 1/2 years still looks reasonably like new with very few noticeable marks.
So would I prefer anodised black, probably not.
:)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back