F1 2012 Pad Vs Wheel in F1 2012?

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
padsnwheel_zps251bb704.png

Pad's Vs Wheel's

A random little discussion for all to take part ;)

Codemasters stated before the release of F1 2012, that they had improved the game on the pad.
I have only ever once used a pad on 2012, although I was a pad boy all the way through F1 2010 and at the start of F1 2011.
I wanted to find out roughly what percentage of RD member's use a pad for F1 2012,

So in YOUR opinion, which is better to 'handle/control' on the game?.... In the sense that Codies claim both are equal?

In my opinion, a wheel is better, you get a much better feel of the car. You can open DRS mid corner and still have control over the car while aiming your wheel in one direction, rather than balancing a stick in a dead right position.

There are ways to get a wheel...

You can easily attach them to a desk, or even a makeshift table (using an old bedside table is a good one, with cushions etc. We all had to start somewhere, I used to use the Dining Room table, till the mrs moaned it was tapping the wall and making noises at 2am lol. So then I went onto a coffee table, with a pillow and resting against the sofa. Wheel's don't take up much space. So if you have never tried a wheel, save some money up - they aren't that expensive!

If your a Pad User, consider a wheel - it's a complete different experience...

Here is a list of places you can find some cheap wheels.

PS3 & PC
Ferrari Challenge Wheel - £27.99
Thrust GXT Force Vibration Wheel - £35.54
Ferrari GT Experience Wheel - £38.99
Logic 3 TopDrive - £39.99
Hori Racing Wheel
- £54.99

Xbox
Microsoft Wireless Speed Wheel - £29.99
Datel Super Sports 3X Steering Wheel - £42.52
Mad Catz MC2 MicroCon Wheel - £44.99

Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia - £52.93

If your a wheel user, switch to a pad and record your before and after video... let's see what the difference is and your opinion then

PC - Wheel
01 AUSTRALIA1.23.1xx
02 MALAYSIA 1.33.3xx
03 CHINA 1.33.3xx [laptime set October. Surely you can easily eat 1 more second by this time]
04 BAHRAIN 1.31.0xx [laptime set october-november]
05 SPAIN 1.19.8xx [laptime set ~november]
06 MONACO 1.12.high [laptime set ~november]
07 CANADA 1.11.0 [laptime set ~November]
08 EUROPE haven't been here on 2012
09 G BRITAIN 1.29.low
10 GERMANY 1.14.1xx [possible to go into mid 13's for sure]
11 HUNGARY didn't qualify for that race
12 BELGIUM 1.44.low
13 ITALY don't remember
14 SINGAPORE 1.39.mid
15 JAPAN 1.31.0 [1.30.7 with my best sectors]
16 KOREA haven't been here ever
17 INDIA haven't been here on 2012
18 ABU DHABI don't remember
19 USA 1.36.3xx [laptime set ~September]
20 BRAZIL 1.09.077

I have to say that this isn't Career but GP Mode tho.

And P.S: I'm a **** qualifier. I usually don't start from the front of the grid. Race pace is where I'm good. So, yes. a good pad player can beat me on Q. But I also found something very interesting in the game files. brake_power for pad is 1.5 while brake_power for wheel is 1. Which means when you're on a pad - you can brake later? o.O

I know Kristian (wheel player) is one of the best players here and even see differences 2-3 sec respectively me (gamepad player). I dont know if it is such a difference between wheel and pad or I'm so bad player.
Dimos you say that you're playing with pad. What are the best laptimes you do?

I know Kristian (wheel player) is one of the best players here and even see differences 2-3 sec respectively me (gamepad player). I dont know if it is such a difference between wheel and pad or I'm so bad player.
Dimos you say that you're playing with pad. What are the best laptimes you do?
I can check but seeing Kristian's times i can say that i am from 0.2 (Brazil) to 3 sec (Monaco) slower.My problem is that in race with tyre wear you can lock up and spin much easier with pad.So i have a slower pace.And that is in a dry race.
In wet there is a different story.Mix 1, low pressure and increased braking distance by at least 2km:p makes it impossible to follow a driver with SW. I can't anyway.:(
My other problem with pad is that i still use autogears as i cant make my fingers work well with buttons.I know that with manual gears i could be 1-1.5 sec faster in the dry and a lot faster in the wet (i used to play with a G27).In the dry because auto never goes in blue rev section and upshifts- downshifts when it likes (driving over a bump it will upshift even if the engine is in 13.000 rpm).In the wet for downshifting- upshifting way too many times.Sometimes you just have to stick to a gear and you just can't.:mad:Btw i use no assists (TC or ABS) except auto gears.My son who plays with assists is faster than me in the wet:p

01 AUSTRALIA1.24.8
02 MALAYSIA 1.34.low
03 CHINA 1.34.low
04 BAHRAIN 1.33.2
05 SPAIN 1.21.low
06 MONACO 1.15.mid
07 CANADA 1.12.3
08 EUROPE 1.38.high
09 G BRITAIN 1.30.8
10 GERMANY 1.14.4
11 HUNGARY 1.20.high
12 BELGIUM 1.45.high
13 ITALY 1.21.5
14 SINGAPORE 1.41.XXX
15 JAPAN 1.33.4
16 KOREA 1.39.XXX
17 INDIA 1.28.095
18 ABU DHABI 1.41.XXX
19 USA 1.38.4
20 BRAZIL 1.09.4

All the times are from Quick GP or Online League qualifying.Some of them are on primes because of strategy and all of them are on Dry weather with McLaren.

I see that compared with Dimos I'm not so bad.
Some tracks below some above and some equally.
Dimo because you played online are you competitive against wheel players?
I play with manual gears and TC on.If I play with TC off at every turn I'm out:(.

I believe controllers are quicker through high speed corners (due to the ability to apply perfect lock which is harder for wheel users) while wheels are quicker then controllers through low speed corners (due to the ability that you can change direction quicker).

Regarding feeling the car, it turned out (at least for me), turning off the environmental effects for the G27 makes me go quicker so for me, the wheel isn't much greater than the pad when it comes to the feel of the car.

Its a rather silly argument/discussion in the end. Both have the potential to set the exact same lap times given to a person who knows how to use each. The game has limits.

You can say pad users can pull off a perfect lock through some corners but hey so can the best wheel users do the same every single time. Similarly you can say wheel users have more accurate throttle control but those that are good at throttle control I believe can do the same on a pad too, and yes I have used a 360 controller in 2012 and the game was still a breeze without any assists well except my steering accuracy was way off due to never having used a 360 controller in F1 before.

Comparing lap times is pointless and it will never prove a point but as to who is faster than who.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back