F1 2012 Pad Vs Wheel in F1 2012?

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
padsnwheel_zps251bb704.png

Pad's Vs Wheel's

A random little discussion for all to take part ;)

Codemasters stated before the release of F1 2012, that they had improved the game on the pad.
I have only ever once used a pad on 2012, although I was a pad boy all the way through F1 2010 and at the start of F1 2011.
I wanted to find out roughly what percentage of RD member's use a pad for F1 2012,

So in YOUR opinion, which is better to 'handle/control' on the game?.... In the sense that Codies claim both are equal?

In my opinion, a wheel is better, you get a much better feel of the car. You can open DRS mid corner and still have control over the car while aiming your wheel in one direction, rather than balancing a stick in a dead right position.

There are ways to get a wheel...

You can easily attach them to a desk, or even a makeshift table (using an old bedside table is a good one, with cushions etc. We all had to start somewhere, I used to use the Dining Room table, till the mrs moaned it was tapping the wall and making noises at 2am lol. So then I went onto a coffee table, with a pillow and resting against the sofa. Wheel's don't take up much space. So if you have never tried a wheel, save some money up - they aren't that expensive!

If your a Pad User, consider a wheel - it's a complete different experience...

Here is a list of places you can find some cheap wheels.

PS3 & PC
Ferrari Challenge Wheel - £27.99
Thrust GXT Force Vibration Wheel - £35.54
Ferrari GT Experience Wheel - £38.99
Logic 3 TopDrive - £39.99
Hori Racing Wheel
- £54.99

Xbox
Microsoft Wireless Speed Wheel - £29.99
Datel Super Sports 3X Steering Wheel - £42.52
Mad Catz MC2 MicroCon Wheel - £44.99

Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia - £52.93

If your a wheel user, switch to a pad and record your before and after video... let's see what the difference is and your opinion then

Thanks for replying, Shane!
Yes, I can connect a gamepad to my laptop and play with it, but I am wondering if there are some serious differences between a gamepad and a keyboard ( of course, after some practice with it, not immediately after I take it out of the box ).

Thanks for replying, Shane!
Yes, I can connect a gamepad to my laptop and play with it, but I am wondering if there are some serious differences between a gamepad and a keyboard ( of course, after some practice with it, not immediately after I take it out of the box ).

I can only imagine that a pad is much much better. It seems like a good idea to be honest, once you get used to it, it will really enhance your enjoyment of the game. That being said, a wheel would be even better! Even I'm getting tempted to buy a wheel :)

A keyboard has no gradations of input.. it's either on or off so very difficult to be accurate and consistent with the steering and no way of easing on or off the throttle and brake. A joypad would be much better if you cannot get a wheel. I remember in my early days of Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix sim on the PC I used to use a keyboard unitl I got my first joystick... does anybody still use those?

Thank you again!
Well, probably I will buy a gamepad. But now, the question is : what gamepad? After browsing some of the local online stores, I think I have two options : Logitech Rumble F510 and Microsoft Xbox 360 Common Controller, both wired. The Microsft one is a little bit cheaper, but, at a first sight, I think that the Rumble F510 is better ( I've found an even cheaper Thrustmaster Gamepad, which is wireless, but it has the Ferrari logo and I am a Red Bull fan, I won't be able to drive very well with that :) ).
Also, do you think that a Genius gamepad ( MaxFire Blaze 3, for example) is any good? I am asking this because they are cheaper.

Thank you again!
Well, probably I will buy a gamepad. But now, the question is : what gamepad? After browsing some of the local online stores, I think I have two options : Logitech Rumble F510 and Microsoft Xbox 360 Common Controller, both wired. The Microsft one is a little bit cheaper, but, at a first sight, I think that the Rumble F510 is better ( I've found an even cheaper Thrustmaster Gamepad, which is wireless, but it has the Ferrari logo and I am a Red Bull fan, I won't be able to drive very well with that :) ).
Also, do you think that a Genius gamepad ( MaxFire Blaze 3, for example) is any good? I am asking this because they are cheaper.
Ebay mate :)

Get a pad with as many buttons as possible - it'll make it easier for you... However, saying that... I might be referring to a wheel - which has little buttons :(

Let us put our lap times and what we used to drive (Pad or Wheel).Our best lap times.
Only in Carrer mode Qualifying Dry. No Time Trial.
To see the differences .What you say?

PC - GAMEPAD
01 AUSTRALIA1.25.739
02 MALAYSIA 1.36.295
03 CHINA 1.34.976
04 BAHRAIN 1.31.697
05 SPAIN 1.20.822
06 MONACO 1.15.716
07 CANADA 1.13.842
08 EUROPE 1.38.626
09 G BRITAIN 1.31.950
10 GERMANY 1.16.303
11 HUNGARY 1.20.637
12 BELGIUM 1.47.865
13 ITALY 1.21.822
14 SINGAPORE 1.42.979
15 JAPAN 1.34.765
16 KOREA 1.39.190
17 INDIA 1.27.975
18 ABU DHABI 1.41.832
19 USA 1.38.814
20 BRAZIL 1.10.803

Let us put our lap times and what we used to drive (Pad or Wheel).Our best lap times.
Only in Carrer mode Qualifying Dry. No Time Trial.
To see the differences .What you say?

PC - GAMEPAD
01 AUSTRALIA1.25.739
02 MALAYSIA 1.36.295
03 CHINA 1.34.976
04 BAHRAIN 1.31.697
05 SPAIN 1.20.822
06 MONACO 1.15.716
07 CANADA 1.13.842
08 EUROPE 1.38.626
09 G BRITAIN 1.31.950
10 GERMANY 1.16.303
11 HUNGARY 1.20.637
12 BELGIUM 1.47.865
13 ITALY 1.21.822
14 SINGAPORE 1.42.979
15 JAPAN 1.34.765
16 KOREA 1.39.190
17 INDIA 1.27.975
18 ABU DHABI 1.41.832
19 USA 1.38.814
20 BRAZIL 1.10.803
that depends on what car you are in. by doing a 25.7 in australia i assume you are not in a hrt :p

I said our best lap times that everyone makes with any car.
My own laptimes is on Redbull and Mclaren.
But what is interesting is the differences between Pad and Wheel players
like the discussion says Pad Vs Wheel in F1 2012.

You can't just compare somebody who drives a Red Bull with pad to somebody who drives an HRT with wheel, mentioning the car is relevant as it makes more difference that the controller you are using. A good setup can also make a huge difference, up to five seconds per lap

Just for comparasion I drive with a keyboard (as my gamepad is currently broken) and here are some of the fastest laps I've done with a Sauber and quick setups only

Australia - 1.26.873
Canada - 1.14.768
Germany - 1.17.657
Italy - 1.22.882

Almost exactly a second slower

Lol, I totaly understand what you mean. I think you should ignore it, and get a wheel if you could. If it's something that you love to do, you have to invest on it, no matter what they are gonna say. And I have no doubt, that if they see that in your room, they can even laught at you, but the very first time that they sit in front of the wheel, and try some laps on the game, they are gonna love it. :roflmao:
I guarantee you everyone of them that tried the wheel would be back the next day bugg'n ya "please mate, just a couple laps" GUARANTEED...lol

Am I the only one over here that drives using the keyboard?:)
I have a very bad wheel, I can't play with that, because it doesn't respond whell even if I set its deadzone to 0 and I don't have enough money to buy a new one, in my country they are pretty expensive : a Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 cost about 122 euros.
The question is : if I am going to buy a Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510, for about 37 euros, will I be able to turn off the assists? I mean, with a keyboard, I can't break and shift manually, I am not very good.
Curious, what kind of wheel is it, that does not work?

You can't just compare somebody who drives a Red Bull with pad to somebody who drives an HRT with wheel, mentioning the car is relevant as it makes more difference that the controller you are using. A good setup can also make a huge difference, up to five seconds per lap
Almost exactly a second slower
Lap times that I post above is after a lot of practice and adjustments
and is the best I managed with my pad and the best car(Mc-Rb) to handle for me.
If you have done the same seeing the results between keyboard and gamepad.
If more players announce their own will draw better conclusions.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back