P1X Cockpit Questions

Hey yall...

I have completed my 'test period' (using a T300RS GT setup) to see if i actually really dig sim racing, and i LOVE it, so now ordering the good stuff that i will use for years.

The total hardware i am getting is: Accuforce V2, HE Sprints (or possibly V3s), Fanatec H pattern shifter

Next up is the cockpit. I have settled on getting a P1X, but i have some questions on it before i order

1) If i am using the HE Sprint pedals, should i also get the HE Sprint base plate for another $88? Is just attaching the Sprint pedals directly to the P1X an option? What is the best way to attach the HE Sprints to the P1X?

2) I am getting the Fanatec H Pattern shifter, and one reason i went with the P1X is that it comes standard with the extra vertical bar on the shifter side to give the shifter more stability. I do not want the H pattern shifter moving around or shaking. Will this extra bar work really well with the Fantatc shifter and hold the shifter firmly in place?

3) The thing i am pretty confused on is what kind of seat to get, and how to attach it properly to the P1X? Note that i want the following in a seat:

a) Wanting a reclining seat. Yes, i know it will cause more flex, but i am concerned that i will not be able to find a good seating position if i don't get a reclining seat

b) Not wanting to spend more than $200-300 or so on a seat (and need one that is actually in stock)

c) Want it to be very easy to mount to the P1X

d) Don't want the seat up super high, would like a sort of Lotus 7 (or at least Miata) style seating position

e) Do not want the seat to be too narrow (i am 175 lbs and 5'9, not overweight, but don't want the seat to be super snug and want others to be able to fit in it too).

Given whatever seat i get, i not at all sure how exactly to mount it to the P1X. What hardware will i need to get from Simlab for the seat in order to mount it?

4) I have been waiting on getting my Valve Index VR headset for almost 12 weeks, so haven't been able to try VR yet. I am hoping that VR works so well that i will be able to start the game from my computer and walk 5 feet over to the cockpit and only use VR when racing. But, depending on how VR goes, i may need to also get a single (32 inch) monitor mount or stand. If i end up needing a single 32 inch monitor for the P1X, what monitor mount or stand should i get? Not wanting to break the bank on a monitor stand also.

5) Do i need to order the extra 'feet' for $70 or so? I don't want the P1X to sit up too high and would rather just save the money and have it sit directly on the wood floor.

6) WHERE do i order the P1X from. Digital Motorsports is currently out of the P1X, was going to get it from them. I notice that i can order it directly from Simlab. Is ordering from Simlab the best way to go, or is there another 3rd party vendor that i should use? Remember, i am in the USA.

Thanks!
Randy
:)

Last edited:
The unobtainable super seat 001 will fit your needs but is presently out of stock everywhere. Man quite the list. Are you in Europe or North America?

I am in Canada and was happy with a medium NRG seat @ 6 Feet and 190 Lbs..
At your price point it is somewhat fantasy but good luck!!

Upvote 0
A. There is some lateral flex in the shifter mounting bar. My recommendation is to (i) move the rear vertical support forward so that it is inline with the shifter, (ii) mount the shifter to the top of the bar vs. the side so the bar itself can be as low as possible; and (iii) attach the mounting hardware to the highest slot on the frame. This will minimize the length of the vertical support and mitigate the flex.

B. Go to a auto supply store and sit in the floor models to find the one that suits you the best/is the most comfortable. Fixed back is preferable as they are stiffer and will not flex as much under braking. The actual angle between seat and back will be fixed but you can recline the whole thing via the brackets.

C. Fixed back seats + brackets are extremely easy to attach - they bolt directly to the P1-X frame.

D. Relative seat height can be adjusted by moving the wheel and pedal decks up/down.

E. Integrated monitor stand from Sim-Lab

F. Feet provide greater lateral stability and pivot, but are not necessary. I put mine on casters instead to roll the rig away when not in use.

G. Order directly from Sim-Lab (https://sim-lab.eu). They are consistently backordered and you will have to wait a bit, but well worth it. Took about 3 months for me to get mine from the date order was placed/accepted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

A. There is some lateral flex in the shifter mounting bar. My recommendation is to (i) move the rear vertical support forward so that it is inline with the shifter, (ii) mount the shifter to the top of the bar vs. the side so the bar itself can be as low as possible; and (iii) attach the mounting hardware to the highest slot on the frame. This will minimize the length of the vertical support and mitigate the flex.

Do you have vertical support mounted to frame, it seems to be pretty solid here, I lean on it when lowering myself into seat. For some reason picture on web site shows one corner bracket for vertical mount, you need two.

1601579885470.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
If you want a reclining seat, consider like new "take out" seats from a Miata converted to a track car if that is your ideal.

Most OEM seats have integral seat mounts and sliders which often can be bolted straight to aluminum profile--I did so with a seat from a 2012 Dodge Charger Superbee for my first rig.

For more used examples, passenger side seats are usually in better shape due to lesser wear. Search Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, RacingJunk.com, etc. You might also look for a good used seat at Car-part.com

Upvote 0
Do you have vertical support mounted to frame, it seems to be pretty solid here, I lean on it when lowering myself into seat. For some reason picture on web site shows one corner bracket for vertical mount, you need two.

View attachment 409803
yes. Issue is the frame gap caused by the mounting block which allows the rail the shifter is on to flex from side to side. By mounting as done in the pic above (lowest slot) there is a gap between the vertical rail and the frame of the rig. Moving the puck up to the top slot and closer to the shifter helps to mitigate this by shortening the length of the “levers”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you want a reclining seat, consider like new "take out" seats from a Miata converted to a track car if that is your ideal.

Most OEM seats have integral seat mounts and sliders which often can be bolted straight to aluminum profile--I did so with a seat from a 2012 Dodge Charger Superbee for my first rig.

For more used examples, passenger side seats are usually in better shape due to lesser wear. Search Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, RacingJunk.com, etc. You might also look for a good used seat at Car-part.com

I think that that is the ticket. I will have months after ordering to get a seat, so should be no problem to find a single nice Miata seat and just use that. I love my miata, drive it pretty hard and love the seats.

So, assuming using a Miata seat, next questions are:

1) Exactly what hardware/rails/brackets/sliders (not sure what to call them) do i need to get in order to mount the Miata seat easily to the P1-X?

2) How do you mount the Miata seat to the P1-X?

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated!

Randy

Upvote 0

View attachment 409803

I am wanting the position and height of my fanatec shifter to be right about where the shifter is in the picture with the blue seat above. Maybe move the entire arm down 1 more rung, want it about Miata height and position to the seat and super stable.

So, given that, would i mount it exactly like shown in the picture?
I would need two brackets you are saying to make that setup stable.
What brackets exactly and what shifter mount exactly is that setup using?

Randy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

yes. Issue is the frame gap caused by the mounting block which allows the rail the shifter is on to flex from side to side. By mounting as done in the pic above (lowest slot) there is a gap between the vertical rail and the frame of the rig. Moving the puck up to the top slot and closer to the shifter helps to mitigate this by shortening the length of the “levers”.
Can't say I understood what you are saying, sorry. Did you get the small black metal bracket that attaches to the bottom of vertical mount. I suspect there could be some assembly error.

@Rainman2020 , this is how I mounted mine, it's fairly crowded spot but manageable to put everything you need, there is more than one way to mount things, working with 8020 encourages creativity, good for brain. :D

Upvote 0
Can't say I understood what you are saying, sorry. Did you get the small black metal bracket that attaches to the bottom of vertical mount. I suspect there could be some assembly error.

No assembly error. I initially set things up exactly as in the picture with the small bracket at the bottom of the vertical support. Did not like the amount of lateral movement I could induce in the rail by shaking it from side to side (rest of rig is rock solid). I moved the aforementioned bracket up to the highest slot, slid the vertical support forward so it sits under the shifter, and dropped the overall assembly down so the shifter sits on top to eliminate the side to side flex. The amount of flex I could previously induce was small but it bugged me relative to the stability of the rest of the rig.

Edit: Just saw your pics... like the way you integrated the shifter mounting plate into the vertical support. Great idea!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No assembly error. I initially set things up exactly as in the picture with the small bracket at the bottom of the vertical support. Did not like the amount of lateral movement I could induce in the rail by shaking it from side to side (rest of rig is rock solid). I moved the aforementioned bracket up to the highest slot, slid the vertical support forward so it sits under the shifter, and dropped the overall assembly down so the shifter sits on top to eliminate the side to side flex. The amount of flex I could previously induce was small but it bugged me relative to the stability of the rest of the rig.

Edit: Just saw your pics... like the way you integrated the shifter mounting plate into the vertical support. Great idea!

I don't use the vertical support, and it's quite solid. Much more solid than I would have thought, looking at pics. I suspect is a matter of what amount of tolerance is acceptable for the person. I use this side mount for my Hotas Throttle, and also a small alum.plate that serves as a little table for my drink or anything else.

I actually use that short vertical piece to mount my Hotas Joystick on top of. It's attached in front of my seat (between the legs) directly to that cross piece in the base frame. Perfect height for this.

Upvote 0
Edit: turns out GT Omega sell (or did sell) six packs for a reasonable price... https://www.gtomega.co.uk/products/prime-caster-wheels - hopefully back in stock at some point...

(original post): Thought I would add to this post rather than create a new one. Getting close to purchasing P1-X and mulling over whether to go with just the adjustable feet, basic rubber feet or castors.

I'm liking the idea of using something like these (levelling castors) that would be neat, adjustable and allow simrig to be moved for cleaning underneath, etc.

Can't find anyone having used similar but assume should be OK to have 1no. in each corner?

Would just need to find some at a decent price (has to be black to match rig too!)

1681656819411.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any chance someone has designed a 3D print file to use the front mount cutouts as openings for fans? I've been toying with the idea of running fans with tubes to them and was thinking there was a chance someone had already designed a solution to fit those cutouts.

1682004152787.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years