P1X Cockpit Questions

Hey yall...

I have completed my 'test period' (using a T300RS GT setup) to see if i actually really dig sim racing, and i LOVE it, so now ordering the good stuff that i will use for years.

The total hardware i am getting is: Accuforce V2, HE Sprints (or possibly V3s), Fanatec H pattern shifter

Next up is the cockpit. I have settled on getting a P1X, but i have some questions on it before i order

1) If i am using the HE Sprint pedals, should i also get the HE Sprint base plate for another $88? Is just attaching the Sprint pedals directly to the P1X an option? What is the best way to attach the HE Sprints to the P1X?

2) I am getting the Fanatec H Pattern shifter, and one reason i went with the P1X is that it comes standard with the extra vertical bar on the shifter side to give the shifter more stability. I do not want the H pattern shifter moving around or shaking. Will this extra bar work really well with the Fantatc shifter and hold the shifter firmly in place?

3) The thing i am pretty confused on is what kind of seat to get, and how to attach it properly to the P1X? Note that i want the following in a seat:

a) Wanting a reclining seat. Yes, i know it will cause more flex, but i am concerned that i will not be able to find a good seating position if i don't get a reclining seat

b) Not wanting to spend more than $200-300 or so on a seat (and need one that is actually in stock)

c) Want it to be very easy to mount to the P1X

d) Don't want the seat up super high, would like a sort of Lotus 7 (or at least Miata) style seating position

e) Do not want the seat to be too narrow (i am 175 lbs and 5'9, not overweight, but don't want the seat to be super snug and want others to be able to fit in it too).

Given whatever seat i get, i not at all sure how exactly to mount it to the P1X. What hardware will i need to get from Simlab for the seat in order to mount it?

4) I have been waiting on getting my Valve Index VR headset for almost 12 weeks, so haven't been able to try VR yet. I am hoping that VR works so well that i will be able to start the game from my computer and walk 5 feet over to the cockpit and only use VR when racing. But, depending on how VR goes, i may need to also get a single (32 inch) monitor mount or stand. If i end up needing a single 32 inch monitor for the P1X, what monitor mount or stand should i get? Not wanting to break the bank on a monitor stand also.

5) Do i need to order the extra 'feet' for $70 or so? I don't want the P1X to sit up too high and would rather just save the money and have it sit directly on the wood floor.

6) WHERE do i order the P1X from. Digital Motorsports is currently out of the P1X, was going to get it from them. I notice that i can order it directly from Simlab. Is ordering from Simlab the best way to go, or is there another 3rd party vendor that i should use? Remember, i am in the USA.

Thanks!
Randy
:)

Last edited:
I bought the P1x frim Sim Lab, took 2 months to get, but no hassles. I also bought the shifter mount and it holds my Fanatec H Shifter in place perfect.

So, there is a special shifter mount that Simlabs sells that i should get then?
Any other accessories to the P1X i should get, given an Accuforce V2 wheel, HE Sprints (now bolted directly to the pedal tray, thanks Andrew), and Fanatec H pattern shifter?

Upvote 0
Are they reachable by phone where i could just call them and order on the phone, with one of their experts telling me exactly what i should get?

Given P1X, Accuforce V2, HE Sprints and Fanatec H pattern shifter, exactly what items should i order from Simlab?

And also, given the seat desires listed above, what seat should i look at and how do i mount it on a P1X?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Look through their accessories section. Lots of things in there that may make your Rig work better for you.

The seat you buy should be able to be bolted to a slider. It will make getting in and out of the Rig easier, and give you more options on how you sit and pedal and wheel placement.

Upvote 0
1) If i am using the HE Sprint pedals, should i also get the HE Sprint base plate for another $88? Is just attaching the Sprint pedals directly to the P1X an option? What is the best way to attach the HE Sprints to the P1X?

Suggest to look at the pedal manual to get the spacing of the mount holes on the pedals. If they will match to the spacing of the 40/120 on the pedal deck of the P1X, then just do that. I don't really understand the way HE makes their baseplates, TBH. They require nuts for mounting and they are really hard to get at if you need to make adjustments. If you like the look of the HE baseplate, then that's another thing. But functionally I doubt you will need it as long as the spacing of the holes on the pedals will allow a multiple of 40mm to fit.

2) I am getting the Fanatec H Pattern shifter, and one reason i went with the P1X is that it comes standard with the extra vertical bar on the shifter side to give the shifter more stability. I do not want the H pattern shifter moving around or shaking. Will this extra bar work really well with the Fantatc shifter and hold the shifter firmly in place?

I think you will find it much more solid that you might think. Even without the extra vertical bar, it's impressive. I know looking at photos you think WTF? But it's much stronger and rigid than you think. The way alum.profile goes together is much stronger than I ever thought.

3) The thing i am pretty confused on is what kind of seat to get, and how to attach it properly to the P1X?
Given whatever seat i get, i not at all sure how exactly to mount it to the P1X. What hardware will i need to get from Simlab for the seat in order to mount it?

Seat choice can be very personal. Whatever you get, the way it will mount to the P1X is dependent on the seat itself. Some seats have mounting holes on the side, and you can get a seat bracket to attach them (Simlab sells them). Others have mounts underneith and the seat bracket won't work. It depends on the seat.

5) Do i need to order the extra 'feet' for $70 or so? I don't want the P1X to sit up too high and would rather just save the money and have it sit directly on the wood floor.

If your floor is level, then you probably don't need them. But you need to understand the rig is super rigid when fully assembled correctly. So if you have a high/low spot somewhere on your floor, and it happens to fall in an area where you will put the rig, you might have a corner not sitting perfect. (like a table with one leg just a bit short....). They used to come with small rubber feet you could put under the base rails that probably would be good enough for most situations, but I don't know if they are still included or not.

6) WHERE do i order the P1X from. Digital Motorsports is currently out of the P1X, was going to get it from them. I notice that i can order it directly from Simlab. Is ordering from Simlab the best way to go, or is there another 3rd party vendor that i should use? Remember, i am in the USA.

Suggest to go direct to Simlab. Only 3 things to know.
- small company, awesome product, big demand. Few people, and it takes them some days to reply to mails. But they always reply and they are super helpful.
- They have a backlog of orders, almost constantly. You will get your rig, but it'll take quite a while.
- Shipping is a killer. But it's still worth it. Make sure to just check what fees you might also have to pay after it comes into the country (ie. customs, etc).

Upvote 0
If you don´t want to use the adjustable feet and your floor is reasonably level you can put your rig on a big rubbermat.
I use one from the home improvement store which is 8mm thick. With the size of the P1X its possible that you could need two of them.
Otherwise you should at least use on (older) carpet to protect the wooden floor and dampen the noises.

Mounting the seat should not be to difficult as you can adjust the width of the seat mounting profiles.
I second the use of seat sliders, which I didn´t when building my rig.
An oversight i have to correct in the near future.

Generally race seats come in two varieties:

bottom mount where the threads you screw the mounts to is located on the bottom of the seat
and side mount ( i think you can Imagine ;))

When purchasing the seat just buy the hardware to mount the sliders to the seat, sliders to rig should be easy because they screw directly to the seat mounting profiles.

When looking at the P1X on the Simlab website you can see the seat mounted to the rig without sliders and on some fotos with aditional sliders. At these fotos you can see the seat adjustment lever on the front of the seat.
Both are side mount, you can seat the angled sheet metal with several mounting wholes which is used to adjust angle and hight of the seat.

Another cheaper possibility could be the use of an used car seat, but that probably requires some kind of fabrication
because the mostly the mounting points are not in the same height and plane on carseats.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I bought the P1x frim Sim Lab, took 2 months to get, but no hassles. I also bought the shifter mount and it holds my Fanatec H Shifter in place perfect.

Which shifter mount?

Wanting a sort of Miata style lowish shifter, and not wanting the stick shift to stick into the cockpit or be super close to my leg like it seems to show it doing in some videos.

What exact shifter mount for the Fanatec H Pattern shifter should i get given that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

You should just check sim-lab web site, there are only two listed there. Chose one for your need.
Bulkier one with adjustable mount angle.

Or more discreet, cleaner looking one.

Upvote 0
You should just check sim-lab web site, there are only two listed there. Chose one for your need.
Bulkier one with adjustable mount angle.

Or more discreet, cleaner looking one.

I think i will go with the tilt one for more adjustability

Upvote 0
My plan now is to go thru this thread and other threads about the P1-X (also re-watch Barry's great video on it), and then write up a list of what i want and what my questions are as to what exactly to get (and any needed tools or anything like that), and hopefully Sim-Lab's customer service can give me a final list of what i need to order.

Randy

Upvote 0
Another related question.

I am NOT a handyman, and don't really have any handyman close friends. I am not good with mechanical stuff really.

Will i be able to assemble this alone? Do i need to ensure to at least have another person helping? Do i for sure need a good handyman type to help guide me? Was thinking of asking the sim racing forums if anyone else into sim racing lives near me who has assembled something like this before.

I am a bit intimidated by it, and they don't exactly have great instructions (although you can watch Barry's video and go step by step with him.

Randy

Upvote 0
Another related question.

I am NOT a handyman, and don't really have any handyman close friends. I am not good with mechanical stuff really.

Will i be able to assemble this alone? Do i need to ensure to at least have another person helping? Do i for sure need a good handyman type to help guide me? Was thinking of asking the sim racing forums if anyone else into sim racing lives near me who has assembled something like this before.

I am a bit intimidated by it, and they don't exactly have great instructions (although you can watch Barry's video and go step by step with him.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I’m exactly the same. I can put a picture on a wall and I can plug in a TV, but outside of that I’m just not practical. I bought a P1-X about 4 months ago and built it within about 7 hours. It really isn’t difficult. The instruction manual is useful, but so is the build and review video posted above.

If I hit something that I didn’t think the manual explained I skipped around the video, and it was made clear.

You don’t need two people to build it.

You will, if you’re anything like me, be altering the position of things (chair, wheel, pedals) for months after honing in to a place where you think you can be comfortable for several hours. That’s part of it.

As for extra equipment, a good set of Allen keys can’t hurt, Velcro to attach cables to the rig and bing them to other cables to keep them neat, a bit of patience (but really it’s not too bad) and plenty of coffee are all that’s needed.

Upvote 0
Hi Randy,

I’m exactly the same. I can put a picture on a wall and I can plug in a TV, but outside of that I’m just not practical. I bought a P1-X about 4 months ago and built it within about 7 hours. It really isn’t difficult. The instruction manual is useful, but so is the build and review video posted above.

If I hit something that I didn’t think the manual explained I skipped around the video, and it was made clear.

You don’t need two people to build it.

You will, if you’re anything like me, be altering the position of things (chair, wheel, pedals) for months after honing in to a place where you think you can be comfortable for several hours. That’s part of it.

As for extra equipment, a good set of Allen keys can’t hurt, Velcro to attach cables to the rig and bing them to other cables to keep them neat, a bit of patience (but really it’s not too bad) and plenty of coffee are all that’s needed.

That helps me feel more chill about it. That part, and not being sure of what to order exactly, were the two things i needed advice on

Upvote 0
So, still need help with the right seat + sliders. That's the last thing i need to figure out before ordering

As i said above, want to find something that fits:

a) Wanting a reclining seat. Yes, i know it will cause more flex, but i am concerned that i will not be able to find a good seating position if i don't get a reclining seat

b) Not wanting to spend more than $200-300 or so on a seat (and need one that is actually in stock)

c) Want it to be very easy to mount to the P1X

d) Don't want the seat up super high, would like a sort of Lotus 7 (or at least Miata) style seating position

e) Do not want the seat to be too narrow (i am 175 lbs and 5'9, not overweight, but don't want the seat to be super snug and want others to be able to fit in it too).

Ideas of what seat to get?

Randy

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back