OZV8 Mod to No Longer Be Made for Stock Car Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
OZV8 mod.jpg

This is the email i received today regarding the OZV8 mod that will no longer be made for Stock Car Extreme.

I am happy for those that play rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa but personally disappointed with this news as i only chose to support this mod team as they intended to bring a high quality v8 mod to Stock Car Extreme.

Lesson learnt.....never fund an unfinished mod!

Hello valued OZV8 pledger,

Since our announcement just yesterday we have received overwhelmingly positive replies from the majority percentage of you who have been extremely supportive of our update newsletter regarding the incorporation of the OZV8 mod into MAK Corp Studios as a necessary means to ensure we can deliver you the best V8 Supercars racing experiences possible.

The larger majority of you have seen this news as extremely positive and we thank you for your ongoing support!

Regarding the very small number of pledgers whom have requested refunds; In answering your questions;

Crowd funding programs are by their very nature a risk. One chooses by their own volition to buy into the project (or not) and in doing so choose essentially to ride the waves of ups and downs the project will no doubt inevitably navigate - together united as a team on the journey that is the process of developing any given project.

On the nature of crowd funding (and we quote as written by Indiegogo);

We must all understand crowd funding initiatives will absolutely see change and need to be altered due to outside influences, technical difficulties, legal requirements, unforeseen circumstances, unexpected events out of our control (such as suppliers not delivering), or perhaps even the technology not being available to achieve a desired outcome.

These are just a few examples of how crowd fund projects could be forced to make change on the fly, and our project is no different.

For example; Lets look at Project Cars crowd fund run via the World of Mass Development process. A high profile crowd fund project.

Not every single feature that was promised to it’s pledgers was delivered. In fact, many, many features were completely hobbled, drastically changed, or in many cases omitted entirely.
This did not become apparent until the final few weeks of the titles development as the SMS team announced these changes/alterations or omissions very late in the development phase.
Did the people who pledged to this project receive refunds because of these changes? No, They didn’t.

In our case; changing of the platform tools the game is being delivered on is in our professional opinion unequivocally the right decision and one we feel justified by the many positive replies we have already received from the larger majority % of our pledgers as being seen to be a step in the right direction.

We advise and we seek to be clear on the fact that we are in fact delivering you more now.
  • Two platforms instead of one older almost extinct one.
  • New feature set.
  • New car models which will have greatly improved interiors than our previous.
Further; the new game platforms (lets not forget we are delivering on two platforms now, not just one) used, house features that the aging SCE platform could only dream of having,
  • Busy and vibrant communities.
  • Populated online lobbies. (SCE online activity is almost non existent).
  • Real time weather effects.
  • Tyre choices to meet weather requirements including ambient temperature change accordingly.
  • Day, Night racing cycles.
  • Updates for new seasons?.
  • Live road rubbering in to name a just a few;
We inform you all the pledge money was used to pay the first 3D artist who we later found was selling us models we couldn't use, but also devalued them by selling them too another party. Due to it being hard to take legal action against artists overseas for such small amounts, MAK-Corp has stepped in to develop the mod and help OZV8 produce the promised content to it's pledgers. Those requesting refunds must understand that the original 3D artist is the one who has made away with the money and that OZV8 cannot possibly provide refunds as we have taken steps to continue the development with another team and update it to a greater platform.

As you can clearly see we are now offering you all a host of new features that were not even mentioned in our original crowd campaign. We are not asking for extra money for these new feature sets – that’s not even on the table and never, ever was - We are delivering them responsibly because we can and well... just because we should, no questions asked.

The necessary change will also now mean the mod can now be enjoyed by more people for many, many more years to come by nature of the fact SCE is heading towards end of life as it’s developer is starting to talk about it’s future platform options (2016), whilst the newer Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 titles are still in a extended (perpetual?) beta phase and therefore offer a much longer expected life time for you to use the mod and enjoy it.

In closing, we advise, given that we have not reneged on the product’s conceptual entirety (in fact we have upgraded the features of the mod as outlined already), but merely only changed the platforms delivery tools we inform we will not be providing pledge refunds.

The crowd funding platform providers do have steps that allow you to seek refund – of this you can be certain.

This process weighs up your request against our alternative offering (AC and rF2) to see if the product being delivered is of lesser completion, and or is severely hobbled; and if so, advises you seek private litigation.
Never the less, we have spoken with our legal team and we have been advised we have a strong case that we are not delivering less because the platform tools used to deliver the “OZV8”mod don’t negatively change the product and in fact allows it to be upgraded.
We thank you all for your understanding, your ongoing support and we look forward to delivering you all the worlds best V8 Supercars mod in Q1 2016 for your enjoyment.

Kind regards,

MAK-Corp – OZV8 Mod Team.

In closing, we advise, given that we have not reneged on the product’s conceptual entirety (in fact we have upgraded the features of the mod as outlined already), but merely only changed the platforms delivery tools we inform we will not be providing pledge refunds.

Im not happy about this as they are delivering a mod for a different game? Games arent platforms, this is like swapping to OSX from Windows? Im not going to buy a Mac after supporting a product that was promised for Windows?
The physics are what I was after! Now they are not an option!
I for one will be lodging a complaint with indiegogo

The pcars comparison is a very weak as well, and for there own information SMS was offering refunds pretty much up until the end of development. There's a big difference of creating a crowd funding project for a specific game and switch titles than it is for a dev team not to add a feature upon release but promise it will be added later.
Even those that hated sms decisions have very little to complain about since they all got there money back + 10% and will continue to get paid quarterly for the next few yrs.
you advertised a product for a certain game took our money which you lost due to the lack of research and trust now the gsc community gets shafted, but on the upside 2 other communities benefit from our funding?

Like Msportdan said......very amateur!

Last edited:
I didn't back it, but everyone who did should definitely file a report with indiegogo. They are basically thieves.

Reactions: hex
ROFL!!
They gave no info, every time people asked about it was "soon" just like Slade said, and now get mad when people want answers and then they start saying these things about SCE (that for these same people was an awesome plataform till a few months back). What the heck! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I almost backed this project, thank God I didn't

These guys are going to get into a lot of problems...
They act like they are a small developer studio (with even a legal team! Should I laugh?) while they are clearly not. They are just some privates working together. There is no studio behind it, no commercial business. They have stepped into a legal mudhole here with no cover on.

But this is their problem, and they have caused this themselves to them.
What makes me sad is that what happened will now most likely hold Reiza back from supporting any modding team in the future. A more genuine one might have asked them help in the future for some basic partnership but that won't happen. Basically they have burnt themselves and every other modding team with this story, and put a big question mark on Reiza's trust to working with modders in the future

the platform tools the game is being delivered on

Nice choice of words :D I'm not quite up to date with the ozv8 project, but this is a MOD and not a GAME is it? So changing the GAME the MOD is being developed for changes the whole project. Was this crowdfunding project in the beginning sce only and did rF2/AC players even back this project? It looks like the SCE community paid a mod for the AC and rF2 community :D

Also, do they still use Reiza physics and sound? This would also be a rip-off to Reiza...

I'm not involved in the funding of the mod, but I just find that their their arguments changed in a funny way :)

--------
Risk:
From the Mail:

Crowd funding programs are by their very nature a risk. One chooses by their own volition to buy into the project (or not) and in doing so choose essentially to ride the waves of ups and downs the project will no doubt inevitably navigate - together united as a team on the journey that is the process of developing any given project.

From the indiegogo page:

Risks & Challenges
The only risk involved is the risk of the community (you) not getting behind the project. In which case - if short-funded it simply wont proceed. No harm no foul.

-------
SCE:

From the Mail:
Further; the new game platforms (lets not forget we are delivering on two platforms now, not just one) used, house features that the aging SCE platform could only dream of having

[...] the fact SCE is heading towards end of life as it’s developer is starting to talk about it’s future platform options (2016)

From Indiegogo:

Firstly the mod will be made available for all current and future owners of the excellent Stock Car Extreme platform. This platform has been chosen primarily because it is by far the best online sim available today that is A) Non subscription and B) Not in a current alpha or beta development state.

Stock Car Extreme is a matured and highly developed sim that today continues to be regularly updated by the company who develop it - Reiza Studios.

The Stock Car Extreme platform offers amazing force feedback, incredible physics and sounds, as well as rock solid multiplayer network code. It also allows gaming communities to easily replicate a real Australian V8 season with all of the Australian race tracks being readily available for download for free.

Last edited:
They act like they are a small developer studio (with even a legal team! Should I laugh?) while they are clearly not.
You mean nephew Brian who is starting his first year of law school doesn't count as having a legal team? Oh no.

Also LOL at "it not like we're not fulfilling the crowdfunding goals, we're improving them! so don't even bother complaining/requesting a refund". Let's see what the key features seen/written in the crowdfunding page are:
  • Mod developed for Game Stock Car: No longer applicable
  • Renders of some (at least to me) high quality 3D models: No longer applicable (but guyz the new ones are gonna be even more awesome!!1!!)
  • Physics and sounds made by a highly reputable source: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.
I'm super happy I didn't back this one because from the get go something didn't seem right. From the shady rumors behind the studio/mod team behind the models to the Ian Bell-esque responses from the OZV8 lead guy in here when doubts/questions about the project arose.

Let's not get into the fact than when the $ goal was surpassed and some backers inquired about a high quality Australian track to go with the mod they took the lazy route and asked the great @Patrick Giranthon to include his soon-to-be-released-for-free-anyway Adelaide as part of the deal as to claim "look how cool we're guys! we're doing more than we should just for you!". Hope I'm wrong but I'm sure Patrick hasn't receive a penny from them even tho he decided to pretty much gift his work to sweeten the OZV8 mod instead of releasing it here like he does with his other great tracks conversions.

And ICYMI Renato has set the record straight about this whole deal here.

I didn't back this either, I couldn't put my trust in a relative unknown (to me at least) - this wasn't like early access to a Kunos or Reiza project.
Anyway, I never could understand the relationship of Reiza and this team. Reiza brought out the V8 Supercars themselves, was this mod suppose to fill in the blanks that Reiza wasn't going to develop?

I am afraid to see Mak-corp working with this bunch of monkeys...
Btw, I understand you can change mod as you can\lile but not the platform...come on seriously?
...all backers at my signal assault indiegogooooo!!! (with mails of course, no fire arrows or similar stuff)

Back when the project started I PMd SimRacingOz and asked for more clarification on what the money was going to be used for. I am posting their reply here, after reviewing the Terms of Service at RD and seeing I am not in breach to share it (Quote from TOS, " Do not submit any content or information that you consider to be private... This includes but is not limited to... private messages / conversation messages"). This was the answer:

money.png

They asked for $1000.
70% is $700
20% is $200

This means they would have $100 remaining for "another project."

They received $1815.
Let's say they used the funds and got cheated, let's remove the $900 they declared for this project (at 90% of $1000, not just the 70% for the 3D artist), that still leaves them with $915
This means that despite the problems with the 3D graphic artist, they would have at least $915 remaining in the budget.

This is enough money to give a refund to those who ask for it. These figures show that the line "We inform you all the pledge money was used to pay the first 3D artist who we later found was selling us models we couldn't use, but also devalued them by selling them too another party." is not in line with their earlier declaration of $700 approximately. If indeed they did pay all the $1815 to one 3D graphic artist (their budgeted 70% magically went up to 180% of the budget), it would mean they would have no budget remaining in order to hire the other people required to complete the project anyway and would not deliver as promised. Being as they received 80% more than their original request, it seems likely the dev team are not being completely honest.

Last edited:
I'm glad I didn't back this one but if I did I'd be furious. So basically the GSCE crowd payed for a mod for completely different platforms and are getting nothing in return except the promise that it will be muuuch better. Oh, and you have to buy a new game to enjoy it.

I hope the backers get their money back one way or another.

beside this "strange things" there already some existing v8´s and a modder with some knowledge could easy convert them to sce ;) instead of crying now that the mod wont come :)

I don't think many are crying that the mod isn't coming, there more pissed that the gsc community that raised the funds are funding 2 other games and getting nothing in return.
Plus why convert a rf1 mod when reiza has already given us the best one to date :)

yeah i think regarding reizas POV i hope it doesnt dent their trust with other potential affiliations with other modders. BUt the reiza lads arent stupid.. theyre pretty clued up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%