OverTake <> RaceDepartment | General Discussion

It's also good to remember that the new owners can change that at anytime .

In addition there is a lot of value in analysing the data internally without the need to sell it to third parties. So I'll still stand by saying our data has a real monetary value.

I do wonder what cash value the mods have or are the just a cost that brings in the views.
Consider, and this is not an accusatory statement but basic fact, if the creators sold their website would they have any qualms about selling our data?

Not saying anything particular will or will not happen, just considering possibilities. We've no idea what's going on in the background; what changes transpire may be completely unnoticed by members, or in a year we may not recognize the place. Time will tell.

Consider, and this is not an accusatory statement but basic fact, if the creators sold their website would they have any qualms about selling our data?

Not saying anything particular will or will not happen, just considering possibilities. We've no idea what's going on in the background; what changes transpire may be completely unnoticed by members, or in a year we may not recognize the place. Time will tell.

I'm hanging around to see what happens because it'll be interesting if nothing else .

unless the insinuation is that they're breaking the law with a falsified privacy policy, and that Bram lied about what is collected and stored in my separate question post regarding the privacy policy/our data, precisely what data do you think they would be selling or profiting off of?

Last edited:
unless the insinuation is that they're breaking the law with a falsified privacy policy, and that Bram lied about what is collected and stored in my separate question post regarding the privacy policy/our data, precisely what data do you think they would be selling or profiting off of?
Any data they have on any of us. They have your name and IP, thus your location, many marketers would pay for that alone.

Note, I did not say they are doing this, only that they could. Just considering possibilities. And RD's privacy policy applies to RD, is Overtake bound by it?

Any data they have on any of us. They have your name and IP, thus your location, many marketers would pay for that alone.

Note, I did not say they are doing this, only that they could. Just considering possibilities. And RD's privacy policy applies to RD, is Overtake bound by it?
thats a bit of a non-answer though - as i've brought up before, unless they explicitly tell us changes will be made and our data will be sold, it would be illegal for them to make those changes without us explicitly being informed then agreeing to the newly-changed policy. at which point, we would have the opportunity to disagree, request a deletion of our stored data and discontinue use of the service. they literally cannot, without breaking the law, sell that data behind our backs.

would they have any qualms about selling our data?
Q&A - Privacy Policy
yes. at least to the degree that there are no planned changes to relevant sections of the privacy policy as a result of the merger.

And RD's privacy policy applies to RD, is Overtake bound by it?
the privacy policy specifically encompasses the use of the racedepartment website - the "service" as a whole. any company overseeing that service is bound by the terms explicitly laid out and currently agreed-to by those using the service.

Last edited:
But, data doesn't need to be sold to be profitable, it can be shared by the partners and the partners of the partners... there's no such thing as 'free stuff'

Paid up members have the advantage of not having to click on ads.

Please, get rid of this ever changing overtake banner or imho you will lose subscribers including me.

Have a thought for Bi Polar condition which things like this can set someone off in a heartbeat. :confused:

Last edited:
What I think @Durge Driven is talking about is that if you follow the link to the "Most played racing games..." it takes you to a page that has the Overtake banner image although still showing the Race Department URL...
Well it does for me. It was a bit od a "surprise" when I clicked on the link.

OTGGskin.png

Yep... that is very much correct...

Last edited:
What I think @Durge Driven is talking about is that if you follow the link to the "Most played racing games..." it takes you to a page that has the Overtake banner image although still showing the Race Department URL...
Well it does for me. It was a bit od a "surprise" when I clicked on the link.
Ahhh, OK got it now. I think I must have just totally failed to notice that when I read the page myself... lol. I'll let Bram comment on this when he gets a moment, but I imagine it's intentional.

Last few months were very busy for me, without time to notice anything regarding simracing. So just read today about the merger.

As co-founder of RaceDepartment, and retired staff for a long time I would like to congratulate Bram with this new step in his simracing adventure. Well done!

Good luck with the next steps, whatever they may be. Hope it still involves the simracing club :)

Sorry for coming in late @Durge Driven , as Bram was quite active in this section before, I wasn´t checking in regularly and thus overlooked your feedback, I am sorry.

Regarding the issue with the banner, I wrote that down and will bring that up with the team to see what can be done maybe short-term.

Do you have any suggestions how the negative effect can be minimized or is the only solution to ensure that all news always look the same when clicked? (as pointed out in this forum, it only does that on specific topics where we feel this is more an article for "overtake readers")

• Deleted member 217114

Congratulations on the merge/take over. I've send Racedep/Overtake an email to terminate my account & posts & data under the rule of AVG/GDPR. I wish any of you incredible luck and happiness in your journey. Keep racing, and never forget: 'if in a doubt.. Flatout!'

Congratulations on the merge/take over. I've send Racedep/Overtake an email to terminate my account & posts & data under the rule of AVG/GDPR. I wish any of you incredible luck and happiness in your journey. Keep racing, and never forget: 'if in a doubt.. Flatout!'
Quote from our privacy policy - I've highlighted an important piece of this text:
You also have the right to request the erasure of your personal data. Please contact us if you would like us to remove your personal data. The removal process will not remove your public facing content such as forum posts and comments. This data will be anonymised and no longer linked to you personal information. After removal some of your combined account data may continue to exist in backups for a period of 90 days. Some single data points such as your IP may continue to reside in logs for up to 1 year.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back