Oversteer when throttle lifted

Hi guys just wondering what you would do to a car that is loosing the rear end when I enter a fast corner as soon as I lift throttle.
The car generally drives fast and handles well every where else but if I make a sudden movement off throttle when entering corner the back end swings round and trys to hit me in the face faster than I dont no what

As a mid-engined car, the McLaren GT3 is naturally prone to lift-off oversteer. Have driven this car personally a lot.

Things you can do to limit or eliminate the so called 'lift-off oversteer'

Driving
  • lift off the brake more carefully at the end of the braking zone
  • apply less steering at corner entry
  • brake earlier and accelerate earlier
  • no tail-braking, brake in a straight line
  • apply a bit of throttle while going off the brakes to stabilise the rear
Setup
  • raise rear wing
  • reduce front camber
  • increase front springs / lower rear's
  • increase front dampers / lower rear's
  • try the 'first-' dampers first, they have a smaller effect on handling than the 'bound' and 'rebound' dampers
  • apply more positive toe at the rear - be careful, the car will understeer more
  • reduce value of the acceleration differential ('diff power')
  • increase braking differential ('diff coast')
  • put more brake bias to the front
  • increase ARB in the front / reduce at the rear
Of course you don't have to do all of the above all at once, try one, if it helps, that's great. If not, try an additional one.
For further information: link

Last edited:
hahahah no way how did you no that. Ive tried a few things but its always there
LOL because i had that exact same problem ,never really encountered it with any other car . I think lowering the coasting diff also may help . Im ok with it now but it took me some setting up to iron it out . Dont let it put you off the mp4 tho its smart to drive when blanced.

Apply the brake whilst still on the throttle, then lift off the throttle gently, but not all the way, leave maybe 10-20% throttle through all braking. Makes getting on the power in certain situations easier too, but it's very situational. You need to load up the axles gently, drive smooth if possible.

Likewise if you need to get on the brakes slightly for a corner, don't lift off the gas, just dab the brakes.

If you haven't already watch "Skip barbers school of racing" on youtube. What your describing is lift off oversteer, all cars are susceptible to it but some cars are more susceptible than others. Front wheel drives are particularly susceptible to it but once you're aware of the phenomenon you can use it to your advantage.

I find it helps to think of the car as a seesaw, with the fulcrum in the middle of the car (or under the driver) and a guy on the left representing the front end and a guy on the right representing the rear of the car. When you brake the guy on the front of the seesaw goes down putting more weight on the front tyres and less at the back, as the guy on the back is getting lifted into the air (meaning the front is gaining grip and the back is losing grip). This works the other way too, when you're accelerating your tipping the seesaw back onto the back tyres and losing grip at the front. This is why you'll understeer accelerating out of some corners.

Once you're aware of this you can not only avoid it but use it to help you rotate the car without any changes in steering lock. In front wheel drives you can use it pretty aggressively without the car actually spinning.

Apply the brake whilst still on the throttle, then lift off the throttle gently, but not all the way, leave maybe 10-20% throttle through all braking. Makes getting on the power in certain situations easier too, but it's very situational. You need to load up the axles gently, drive smooth if possible.

Likewise if you need to get on the brakes slightly for a corner, don't lift off the gas, just dab the brakes.
Trailing throttle while braking is usually a pretty bad habbit and does solve the porblem in a bad way as you compromise braking power and fuel economy.
In some fast corners with really small braking zones it is ok, but not in braking zones longer than 30 meters or so.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%