Oversteer question

If I'm coming out of the corner..and car oversteers..how do I know did it oversteer because of overloaded rear left (right corner) tyre, or because of not enough load on front tyres?
Or the car would not oversteer if it was front tyres, it would just plow ahead?
Or is it always the rear tyre and there's no such a thing as not enough load on fronts, in a sense that fronts don't matter in corner exit?
Is there anything you can do to fronts that helps with exit oversteer?
Cause I'm thinking if fronts grip that's a problem then I could, for example lower tyre pressure. Or mess with toe. Standard cars with only tyres and alignment to adjust.
Conversely, turn in understeer, it can be too much or not enough load on front lert (right corner again), how do you figure what is it.
Noob here obviously, apologies if I posted in wrong forum.

Oversteer happens when you have more front grip than rear, so it'd be too much front load in the right circumstances (eg. on trail-braking turn-in, if the front has more grip available you can oversteer).

Which tires you can fix it with depends which are driven; on a RWD car in corner exit, you're balancing acceleration and cornering on the rear tires and they're the ones at their limit. In that case you should ignore front tire setup. If you reduce front grip to prevent oversteer, you're just limiting the performance of the car, cause it also misses that grip in other parts of the track when it's able to use it.

Generally you want to set up a rwd car to be lightly understeering in constant radius turns (like doing a 100m skidpad circle) via tire pressure and antiroll bars, and then adjust corner entry understeer/oversteer with brake bias, and corner exit with diff lock and traction control.

Last edited:
OK, so in exit corner oversteer it's always rear wheel that's the problem, thanks.
Yeah I figured after I posted that reason that exit oversteer can be only overload initiated while turn in understeer can be too much or too little load on front wheel, is that front wheel in turn in deals with direction input and rear in turn exit doesn't, Right? Or not? I'm not in the wrong if I think tnat turn in understeer can happen due to two reasons, outside front wheel slips because there's too much load on it, or not enough load?
If yes, turn in understeer can have twofold origin, then can we say that one way of figuring which it is would be slight tap on brakes?
If it's overload, the car would plow forward even more, and if it was not enough weight that caused it, then quick brake would transfer some weight front and remedy the oversteer?
Just brainstorming and bit confused lol.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%