Overheating engine

In two consecutive offline races, the safety car has come out and stayed out for two laps. By the end of the second lap, my engine was so hot, it quit when the green flag dropped. On another occasion, I had to sit in the pits while my crew fixed an oops and my engine overheated and failed. What's the trick when the engine is overheating in those situations?

I guess you mean my mod. Use higher radiator opening setting and use engineboostsetting 3 (lower revs, saving fuel and increasing engine life time).

Oh and don't drive in the wake of the cars in front! Their turbulent air is very hot and also kills your engine. Basically, just do what the real guys do :p. It is a sim after all!

EDIT: If you pit for rear wing repair (or other repairs that last for at least one minute), your engine will not survive this, just like reality. You have to turn off the engine for this

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

I guess you mean my mod. Use higher radiator opening setting and use engineboostsetting 3 (lower revs, saving fuel and increasing engine life time).

Oh and don't drive in the wake of the cars in front! Their turbulent air is very hot and also kills your engine. Basically, just do what the real guys do :p. It is a sim after all!

EDIT: If you pit for rear wing repair (or other repairs that last for at least one minute), your engine will not survive this, just like reality. You have to turn off the engine for this

Safety car speed shouldn't technically be enough to create a vacuum and thus affect the engine cooling. But it's better to have a bit of an exaggerated aspect that forces players to not be abusive with setups than the polar opposite. Some mods have no affect on water and oil temps, sometimes stock content is released with that being an oversight.

And for those who do pit for long periods, they should map the ignition and starter keys. As Frenky said, cars can overheat and that's why teams bring the portable fans to place by the radiators

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%