Overclocking

Marcel Hulsbergen

#111 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs
I see more people on here like to overclock their CPU.

This can be done easily in many ways and i will try to help as much as possible.

Things i need to know are:

CPU :
Motherboard :
Bios version :
Cooler :
RAM (brand and type) :
Case :
Pictures of the bios screens so i can send them back with my comments.

Some good links:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php?
Overclockers.com - Computer Component News and Reviews, Overclocking and Modding Tips and Tricks - CPU, Ram, Video Cards
Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

After the overclock download Everest or a simular program to see the temps stressed:
Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

Stress the system with:
http://www.overclock.net/attachments/downloads/36840d1165737486-orthos-orthos_exe_20060420.zip
Prime95 (32bit) - 25.6 Download - EXTREME Overclocking

Let it run for a few hours and see if you do not get BSOD's, also use 3DMark or simular program.
Overclocking can be a seriously satisfying experience with great results with little or no extra cash investments ... but it can also seriously damage your social life (eg. hours or days spent searching for settings to get your machine just to boot, or to keep it stable once it does load your operating system ... then there are benchmarks and burn tests to consider :p).
Worst case scenario is that you can mess up you PC big time or even fry parts of it (although this last one is quite a rare scenario in my experience).

Man you are asking for trouble now Marcel :lol:

I imagine this will be a very useful thread, but I think it would be prudent to add a warning to people who have never done this kind of thing before ...

Something along the lines of the following should cover it ...

Overclocking can be a seriously satisfying experience with great results with little or no extra cash investments ... but it can also seriously damage your social life (eg. hours or days spent searching for settings to get your machine just to boot, or to keep it stable once it does load your operating system ... then there are benchmarks and burn tests to consider :p).
Worst case scenario is that you can mess up you PC big time or even fry parts of it (although this last one is quite a rare scenario in my experience).

Disclaimer:
Fiddle at your own peril and don't blame "da man" trying to help if things all go pear shaped!! :amen:

Thanks Lee I added it to my post, of course it will always be on their own risk, i only tell them save settings.

Normally when you overclock to far the system will not boot at all and will fall into save mode by restoring default values.

I want to overklock my CPU :)
CPU : Intel CoreQuad Q9450 4x2,66 GHz 12M Box
Motherboard :EVGA nForce 780i SLI DDR2 mainboard
Bios version : phoenix
Cooler : Coolermaster 700W PRO700 ATX2.91
RAM (brand and type) :At this moment 3x2GB DDR2/800Dimm but i want to buy the OCZ 4GB DDR2-1150
Case :

Jacco you can keep the ram, use 2 x 2 GB 4GB is enough, using 3 banks is not stable for overclocking.

I will try to keep the ram speeds at 800 so your ram should be ok. Can you make some photo's from the bios overclock sections and ports them here.

@James, no i am not a member there but i do read there a lot, as i found out how to overclock my system now i am not that active there, i will when i get a new system in about 6 months.

What is the advantage of faster ram speeds maybe it's better to buy some new ones ?
overclocking001vg9.jpg

overclocking002eo7.jpg

overclocking003tj2.jpg

• Lu Chan

I want to overklock my CPU :)
CPU : Intel CoreQuad Q9450 4x2,66 GHz 12M Box
Motherboard :EVGA nForce 780i SLI DDR2 mainboard
Bios version : phoenix
Cooler : Coolermaster 700W PRO700 ATX2.91
RAM (brand and type) :At this moment 3x2GB DDR2/800Dimm but i want to buy the OCZ 4GB DDR2-1150
Case :
Fantastic Machine!!..Superb!!:hail:

You will only see a small difference once overclocked, but it doesn't make a massive difference. The main thing is how much ram you have, and either using 2 or 4 sticks so you run dual channel

I think i am going to buy this : OCZ DDR PC2 8500SLI Ready Edition 2x2GB
1066mhz. Because i have SLI maybe the performence off my PC will be much better .
I think my DDR2 800mhz is not fast enough for my system and also not SLI ready.
But if you guys say it isn't really necessary ? :) But i don't want a bottleneck in my system.

Cool topic. Have you tried undervolting with an overclock. This is my Q9450 at 3.2GHz, pulled the voltage down from 1.2V to 1.17V in the bios. Unfortunately I've got a crap camera on my phone so I can't get a decent snap of the bios but here's one of CPU-Z. Don't know how far I can lower it, I've had it this way since I got the cpu and it's nice and stable.

Untitled.jpg

I think i am going to buy this : OCZ DDR PC2 8500SLI Ready Edition 2x2GB
1066mhz. Because i have SLI maybe the performence off my PC will be much better .
I think my DDR2 800mhz is not fast enough for my system and also not SLI ready.
But if you guys say it isn't really necessary ? :) But i don't want a bottleneck in my system.

The SLI ram is just a marketing gimmick, it won't actually make any difference compared to the OCZ Reapers that i posted earlier. If anything, the Reapers will be cooler and this may allow them to run at higher speeds because if the heatpipe cooling.

A strange thing happened I overclocked my CPU a little bit and it didn't work out fine so i set everything on default :0
Everything works fine again CoD4, Race07 etc but the 3dMark vantage has a really strange screen with strange lines ?
I removed 3dmark and downloaded it again and the strange lines are again there ? How is this possible al the other grapics from the games work fine . :(

Jacco here are your screens edited by me, try these and i wil hear your comments about the settings, this gives you 3.4 Ghz instead of 2.6 Ghz.

he last screen is not yours but do not forget to set these in the bios too.

Attachments

• overclocking001vg9.jpg
    overclocking001vg9.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 238
  • overclocking002eo7.jpg
    overclocking002eo7.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 261
  • overclocking003tj2.jpg
    overclocking003tj2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 265
  • cpuconfigbh6.jpg
    cpuconfigbh6.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 237
Thanks Marcel :)
First time i tryed your settings it didn't work out wel i think i did something wrong.
The second time i used your settings again and my computer started up just fine :) It says 3.41GHZ so i win a lot :) comming from 2.66
I'm going to test some games and i hope it will turn out fine.
I'm thinking off buying some new Rams 1066mhz instead of 800mhz.
What do you think about this i don't want to have 800mhz as a bottleneck for this system.
I going to stress my PCU a little bit to see how it turns out.
Thanks for the settings for now Marcel :)

I did some stressing with Core temp 0.99.1
Core 0 = 82
Core 1 = 72
Core 2 = 79
Core 3 = 78
I now that Quad 9450 are always hotter than dual core but isn't this a little to hot :) Or maybe i need watercooling :(

Can you take a look at the temp settings are they not to high :)
If i buy new ram must i change some thinks again in the bios.
That was almost the last question :pray:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
To bad :)
I was playingCoD4 and everything was fine but, then i got the idea off restarting my computer again and that didn't work out fine :(
I tryed it 4 times but he didn't do it.
So now i am back at default settings again. Maybe the 3.4GHZ was a little bit to much :)

Thanks Marcel :)
First time i tryed your settings it didn't work out wel i think i did something wrong.
The second time i used your settings again and my computer started up just fine :) It says 3.41GHZ so i win a lot :) comming from 2.66
I'm going to test some games and i hope it will turn out fine.
I'm thinking off buying some new Rams 1066mhz instead of 800mhz.
What do you think about this i don't want to have 800mhz as a bottleneck for this system.
I going to stress my PCU a little bit to see how it turns out.
Thanks for the settings for now Marcel :)

I did some stressing with Core temp 0.99.1
Core 0 = 82
Core 1 = 72
Core 2 = 79
Core 3 = 78
I now that Quad 9450 are always hotter than dual core but isn't this a little to hot :) Or maybe i need watercooling :(

That is way too hot, you shouldn't be going above 65 max load.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 188 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 366 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 510 39.1%