Overclocking

hm, although i am not keen on overclocking, so do not dig too much in details, but would you have any idea for mine, or what makes sense to check if it is running on optimal performance (BIOS upgrade i did in the spring to the latest, Nvidia drivers are the latest 177.92, Soundcard driver also the latest available, motherboard driver says latest according to Nvidia downloadpage, did not modify since initial install around 1.5 years ago)

3DMark06 score: 13100
3DMarkVantage score: 11700

Are these scores seems to you ok-ish for my system?

Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
CPU: Quad Core Extreme 2.6 GHz
RAM: Corsair 4*1G, i believe 800 MHz, since more the motherboard does not support
Graphic Card: Nvidia 9800 GX2
Sound card: X-Fi Platinum

Thanks for advices in advance

Atti, which cpu you excactly have, can you give the real name eg Q6600.

I think it you can run it on 3.0 or 3.2 GHZ, depends on your cooler, which cooler you have, if it it the stock INTEL cooler i suggest you to buy a better one, overclocking with the stock cooler doesn't give you much as you CPU will overheat to quick.

Ben, first i would try 333 mhz, so if you set the fsb to 333 your memory will go higher too.

Try this first with stock Voltage settings.

If it does not boot, set 333 again and set CPU vid special Add to a higher value, do this in steps and check the voltage on CPU core below the settings in the bios. Do not go higher then 1.45V, higher is possible but i would never go higher then that.

CPU VTT is made for 45nm cpu's and yours is 65nm so be careful with that, 1.40 is max here but i would not touch it before, first try the 333 with stock Voltages.

Hi Guys ive seen it mentioned a few times, My teacher first said about it when i asked him what computer he had.
But what i want to know is:
-What are the Advantages?
-What are the disadvantages?
-Will it damage my computer?
-Will it void my warranty?
-isit Worth it?
-How much would it cost?

,Matt Parr

-What are the Advantages
A lot, as my Q6600 rund 50% above stock speeds without any problems.

-What are the disadvantages
More heat produced so you have to cool better, sometimes it is hard to find the right settings.

-Will it damage my computer
If you overclock within the margins of your hardware, then it will not harm anything at all, i never had a pc running on default speeds, and i never had broken hardware.

-Will it void my warranty
I don't know, some vendors deliver overclocking tools with the hardware, most motherboards can be overclocked with vendor tools.

-isit Worth it
One Yesss, my system still outperfoms a 800 dollar cpu so yes it's woths it.

-How much would it cost
Depends on what you want, if you want extreme settings you need water coolling but if you just like a nice overclock like i do, it only cost you a good fan and sometimes a better powersupply.

I believe Matthew has a HP computer. If that is the case, you will not be able to overclock through the bios. It may be possible with software but that often is not the most stable method.

I believe Matthew has a HP computer. If that is the case, you will not be able to overclock through the bios. It may be possible with software but that often is not the most stable method.

I am not a big fan of HP, Dell, Lenovo, or other brands like that, i like to build it myself.

Indeed HP does not deliver oveclocking in the bios as far as i know.

But he can oveclock his GPU if he has a decent one, there are lots of tools like ATI tool which will bring a nice boost. But the cpu can be the bottleneck then.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back