Overclock advice

Overclocking won't perform miracles but it should help you gain a few fps giving a smoother experience.

Though I have no experience with your cpu or mb, there are plenty of guides for o/c'ing the FX series on YouTube.

Watch as many different guides as you feel you need. Before you start you need to know the maximum safe temp and max safe voltage for your cpu.

The cooler you linked to is definitely an improvement over the stock cooler and should give you some extra thermal headroom, but if your budget can stretch to it the Coolermaster Evo 212 is rated as one of the best budget coolers and should be good for 4-4.5ghz. Also, as you will be generating more heat inside the case you may want to add an intake fan if needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Heatpipes-Connector-RR-212E-16PK-R1/dp/B0068OI7T8
(shop around, you may find a better deal)

I would always recommend updating to the latest bios for your motherboard, see Gigabyte's download section.

you will need something to monitor your temp's and voltages. For this I would recommend Hw Info. (portable version, local US)

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

The recommended stress test for o/c'ing fx cpu's is a program called Prime '95. This puts all cores under 100% load, which not only tests for stability but also gets the thing running at it's hottest. This is necessary as you are ultimately looking for either the thermal limit or stable limit for your cpu.
you need to sign up, but it's free and can be uninstalled afterwards.

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Remember that overclocks depend on many things, case temps, room temps, silicon quality etc and that everyone's experience will vary. Good luck man!

Last edited:
I've also got the AMD fx-6300. Although each one is different, mine has the multiplier bumped up to 20x and is giving me a stable 4ghz. any more on the multiplier causes instability. That was using and Arctic freezer 7 cooler, so similar to one your looking at. I haven't fiddled with voltage/fsb settings for now. Or tried to unlock the cores just in-case! Idle/desktop temps are 18-25c and maxed out it might reach 45c at a push when using prime95.

Thank you for adding to the conversation Robt.

The Amd max recommended temps (FX6300) for 24/7 use is 65c, and max 1.475 vCore though obviously lower is better for longevity. Your temps are fine so your instability is probably voltage related. These things aren't easy to replace so I understand not wanting to mess about too much.

If I remember right, when o/c'ing my Phenom 965 (which I still have, mild oc @3.914 for the longest time) a simple increase of 400mhz on the north bridge gave a noticeable improvement when gaming. Just go in 100mhz increments or whatever your board allows till it's not happy, then back it down a notch.

Just realised I havent got anything to clean the cpu would this be suitable
Got the cooler you recommended Bob so will be installing this weekend hope it fits didnt think to measure my case :)

Also forgot to order cleaner for the cpu so sllight delay on fitting

You can use methylated spirit (from chemist) and cotton wool. Be a bit careful not to get paste into unreachable places on the socket.

Am having a little play with new bios on Ryzen 5 1600. Currently 3.965ghz@1.319v, above this seems to want a chunk of voltage that i'm not comfortable with. Also 3000mhzddr4@3133mhz using D.O.C.P. Will play with timings later. Happy Days!

Thanks for that Bob
It doesnt look great for my mobo something about 4+1 phase power/VRM with no cooling I've got some Ipa cleaner arriving tomorrow so I shall see how it goes

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 188 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 189 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 247 13.5%