Over and Out for Kvyat as Toro Rosso Confirm He Won't Return

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Daniil Kvyat Dropped by Toro Rosso.jpg

Toro Rosso have confirmed the end is nigh for Daniil Kvyat in Formula One, confirming the Russian has been permanently axed from the Faenza outfit for the remainder of the season.

Thanks to the surprise call up of former tester Brendon Hartley in Austin and the continued positive impression being made by young rookie Pierre Gasly, it appears the door has finally closed on Daniil Kvyat's stay with the Red Bull owned junior team.

Speaking to German publication Auto Bild following the US Grand Prix, a race where the returning Kvyat managed a decent 10th place finish, Red Bull consultant Helmut Marko confirmed the outfit have no further need for the 23-year-old this season: “Kvyat will not return again. We do not believe he can make the turnaround in the long term. Gasly and Hartley are finishing the season. Then we’ll see what happens.”

Kvyat has had something of a difficult life in Formula One since making his debut for Toro Rosso in 2014. Having impressed in his debut year the driver was quickly parachuted into the main Red Bull team to replace outgoing four time champion Sebastien Vettel, however thanks to some disappointing performances and the emergence of the dazzling Max Verstappen Kvyat would soon find himself demoted back down to the junior outfit during 2016, whereupon the youngster never really recovered as he found himself constantly in the shadow of teammate Sainz, or exploring areas of the racetrack and/or surrounding scenery as he blatantly struggled to regain the confidence and mental capacity to remain competitive in top flight open wheel racing.

2017 would be no better for Kvyat as he again failed to match his Spanish team mate, scoring a disappointing four points to his partners 48, culminating in his standing down from driving duties at Malaysia and Japan to allow young junior Pierre Gasly an opportunity to build experience ahead of a potential full season in 2018.

Kvyat would return for Austin as Gasly would be on Super Formula duty over in Japan, however with Toro Rosso now without the services of Sainz thanks to a move to rivals Renault, the Russian would only get a single race reprieve as the team elected to retain World Endurance Championship driver Hartley for the upcoming Mexican Grand Prix, and now what appears to be a deal for the final three races of the current season.

Frankly Kvyat has failed to show the kind of form expected of a potential race winning driver in Formula One, and without any notable financial backing and faced with some stiff competition from a wave of talented youngsters looking to break into the world of Grand Prix racing, Austin could well be the last time we see Daniil Kvyat taking part in a Formula One race.

For more news and opinion from the world of Formula One head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion!

Do you think Kvyat deserves another chance in Formula One? Have Toro Rosso made the right decision? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I feel really bad for him but on the other hand Its his own fault for not performing when he should have done. but to mess him about like this in such a public way is terrible for his mental state, his image and his career.

Last edited:
Good to watch at times and was certainly decent for a while, held own against the highly rated riccardo for 1 year - but the drop in form since then has been a bit of a shocker.
Will struggle to find another f1 team now. Could do well as a gt3 driver, i guess.

I feel really bad for him but on the other hand Its his own fault for not performing when he should have done. but to mess him about like this in such a public way is terrible for his mental state his image and his career.
Yeah I feel for him. Stuck in Monaco with nothing to do.
I think we should start up a go fund me campaign :p

Is not like Ericsson will last much longer, though. The deal with Ferrari, and both Leclerc and Giovinazzi around the corner will put an end to his F1 career sooner than later.

He must be in a bad space, but I blame the media for hyping these youngsters up and then just as quickly, pulling them down. He is still only 23...must be hard to take.
These kids get paid too much, too quickly; it takes away some of the hunger for success...being on easy street.
At 23 and his past record, I think he does not deserve to be dumped out of F1; he did ok against Ricciardo, who is no slouch.

I think he deserves to continue in F1 despite his major mistakes this year. He would be a tough rival for Di Resta and Kubica in the fight for Massa's seat if it wasn't for that dumb "25 year old" rule enforced by Martini. He has experience with the new cars, something that neither the scottish or the polish have. He's also in good shape and can stand an entire race weekend, which is something we don't know if Robert is capable of despite his good performances on private tests.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back