rF2 Oval Night @ Alabama Speedway (Night Race) - Wednesday 20th January 2016

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Steering lock and wheel rotation are still available when the setup is locked.
I agree about wheel rotation, but steering locked was greyed out when I came on the server.

Were you using that when running the default setup?
Actually I don't know, I just picked the SuperSpeedway upgrade, didn't change anything with the steering ratios upgrades. That should do the trick if we can reduce it this way.

Also, sign me out, my premium expired. :)

Actually I don't know, I just picked the SuperSpeedway upgrade, didn't change anything with the steering ratios upgrades. That should do the trick if we can reduce it this way.
There's about six options under steering ratios, and the descriptions recommend which types of track to use them on (slow ratio for superspeedways, etc.). The other categories also tell you which upgrade to use on which type of track, which is actually very helpful

@Daiman Patel would it be possible to lock the setup changes while having a custom one? What I mean is everyone uses the same setup (which I think is a great idea for oval club racing) and cannot change it, but that setup is not the default one.
Interesting suggestion Charles! I will, however, need to look into this in more detail as I'm not sure how to do it, or if it's even possible for that matter (without making modifications to the stock car mod itself). There probably is a way, as with anything in rFactor 2, but I will need to spend a bit of time experimenting. ;)

I'm asking this because I've tried the default setup, and the steering ratios (wheel rotation and steering lock) are a bit to sensitive for a superspeedway this size, IMO.
Regarding steering lock (as well as a couple of other player specific options), I forgot to allow this to be adjustable with fixed setups; there is a parameter in the player.JSON file which enables me to control this. I shall update the value so that steering lock and starting fuel (just in case the default isn't enough for 50 laps) options are available. Everything else will remain locked. :D In the meantime I shall look into being able to use a custom setup as the default. :thumbsup:

Also, wheel rotation shouldn't be affected by enabling fixed setups (as you already know); this is a general configuration option and is always available.

IMPORTANT!

Server configuration has been updated to allow steering lock and starting fuel to be adjusted, with the fixed setup option enabled.

@Chark I have found a track, car and server specific means by which to specify a custom default setup, but I will need to figure out how to use it before actually giving it a go. Maybe we can put it to the test for next week's event. :D

Thanks @Daiman Patel for the clarification and the adjustments you do for us! Don't worry, as you said we'll keep improving the experience for everyone week after week, no need to hurry. Better do slowly but surely, and see what works best.

Hopefully will be fun tonight! :)

So, I need to improve my level on ovals... ;)
I missed the start and couldn't catch leaders group. I fighted for 7th place during more than 30 laps. Funny but I have some difficulties to use draft in best way.
After refuel I was 8th, then 5th, thanks to several crashes.

During SC I had instruction to follow Simon. Finally, I listened to others and passed him.
Bad decision. I got stop and go.
Of course, with my tachymeter in miles, difficult to respect the 97km/h speed limit...2nd stop and go
Nevermind. It was fun and I'll be here next week!!!!!!!!!

Did you change tires?
Is it possible to adjust fuel level of next refuel during race? I tried but couldn't.

During SC I had instruction to follow Simon. Finally, I listened to others and passed him.
Bad decision. I got stop and go.
We were confused since Simon was being told to let me through, and I was being told to follow you. Now that we know you were being told to follow Simon then I have no idea what order we were meant to be in :roflmao: I got a stop and go for that as well, not sure what the game wanted us to do there though :O_o:

Don't worry, it's not easy at first! I would however recommend you join us on TeamSpeak (even if you don't have a mic or don't want to talk) so you can hear information from the other drivers. It's easier than writing in the game chat when racing. But for sure, see you next week! :)

Did you change tires?
I think it wasn't needed. Unless you spin and flatspot the tyres, in a race that short at Talladega (which really doesn't wear tyres), the whole race distance can be done on a single set.

Is it possible to adjust fuel level of next refuel during race? I tried but couldn't.
Same here, it was stuck to 66 liters I think. It was surely due to the setup being fixed. @Daiman Patel as a minor adjustment, can you also free the pit stop settings (stop 1, stop 2,...) in the setup?

with my tachymeter in miles, difficult to respect the 97km/h speed limit...
You can also rely on the tachometer lights. When in second gear, it's going to light up green (under the pit limit, good) or red (above the pit limit, slow down). When you enter the pit, for example, slow down and watch for the red to light up, keep slowing down until you see green, and then maintain the speed. It's still tricky though!

Also @Chark yours expired as well, so you should watch your own youtube vid :p
I hadn't noticed yesterday actually! Will renew ASAP for sure. It has become pretty cheap nowadays.

Last edited:
Same here, it was stuck to 66 liters I think. It was surely due to the setup being fixed. @Daiman Patel as a minor adjustment, can you also free the pit stop settings (stop 1, stop 2,...) in the setup?
Yup, I sure can enable this for the next race; 'fuel / pit-stop strategy' is an additional option that can be unlocked when using fixed setups. :D

I missed the start and couldn't catch leaders group. I fighted for 7th place during more than 30 laps. Funny but I have some difficulties to use draft in best way.
After refuel I was 8th, then 5th, thanks to several crashes.
A little advice about oval racing is that drivers should work together. Yesterday we lost the pack at the start but we could have caught them by working together :)
I mean by bump-drafting and taking turns pushing each other. Like they do in cycling races.

I could have pushed you all night long but taking turns is important so the driver behind doesn't burn his engine.:thumbsup:

Oh and sorry for spinning you at one point. I was holding the inside line into turn 3 when you cut in front of me and I didn't have enough time to react! It was pretty fun until that moment :)

I was a lot of fun till the pit stops. After we all had be spread out it was a bit boring. Would be more fun with larger grids. But the discipline was great. A lot of nice drafting :)

@nounoubleu in oval racing you just need to stay in contact with the lead group. The position inside these group is not important. Only in the final laps its important where you are inside of the group ;)

Very good racing up until the pit stop. Made a complete arse of finding my pitbox and had to go round again:poop:

Very confusing restart. First getting behind Tapio, then the green flag and I jumped, slamming into Tapio, so sorry:( Already booked the night off work for next week though. Hope there are a few more people because for a while that was the most fun sim racing in ages:thumbsup:

Thanks for your advices ;)

A little advice about oval racing is that drivers should work together. Yesterday we lost the pack at the start but we could have caught them by working together :)
I mean by bump-drafting and taking turns pushing each other. Like they do in cycling races.
I could have pushed you all night long but taking turns is important so the driver behind doesn't burn his engine.:thumbsup:
Yes, it's what I learned yesterday.
I was bit reluctant to do bump-drafting. My oval experience is limited to "street stock" in iRacing, much less stable car. And on shorter tracks, drafting is less crucial.
Anyway, it was fun and I hope grid will be larger on next week.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%