Outputting menu commands to buttons

All, I am looking into Simhub a bit more, but want some advice on whether you can output some menu commands that are not 'in game' ones to external buttons. The intention is reduce the dependence on a mouse and keyboard, although I accept it can't be eradicated totally

To explain, when you press ESC (which can be assigned to a button even outside Simhub) you are then faced with a menu of choices; this is essentially out of the main game. most times, you have to then use the mouse to navigate to the option you want, although in a couple of rare exceptions you can use the arrow buttons. I have a bespoke navigation button panel for my flight sim with left / right / up / down / enter / esc / back buttons that is on my front dash, and using it means I only have to use the mouse to get into the game and choose the initial settings. Once that is done, the mouse (in this case one of those little bluetooth mouse and keyboard combos) can be put aside and then you just use all the dash buttons

However with the mouse only menus, you have to keep reaching for the mouse even in situation where a quick couple of button presses would have just done the job. Restarting a race is a good example, where you could say press ESC, down, down, enter on the navigation panel and away you go. Or maybe have buttons 1 to 5, with each button allocated to a menu command.

It may seem a minor point, but cumulatively it niggles at me and I would love to be able to at least reduce the times you have to reach for the mouse.

Any ideas?

Les

Joy2key allows you to add multiple keyboard inputs to a button press, so you could assign one button to esc, down, down, enter for example.

You'd have to assign the profiles for every game so would be a bit of a slog to get done, unless you want generic '1st option', '2nd option', '3rd option' buttons. And it relies on the game supporting keyboard navigation.

Upvote 0
Thanks Neo - There are a few programs of the Joy2Key variety, the Flight simmers use them because of literally hundreds of outputs that are required

The issue comes with your second point, supporting keyboard navigation - for example, ESC on Assetto Corsa will give you a four option menu, but you HAVE to us the mouse, even if you jut want to restart. Cue a quick fumble around for my mouspad thingy. I tried using the up and down buttons but they don't do anything

Les

Upvote 0
Assetto Corsa has a good bunch of hotkeys for different functions. There's also an app called In-game Keyboard Shortcuts Extension which adds other useful shortcuts, for instance, restart and retire.

However, as you said, there are some serious limitations such as the ESC menu or the apps bar, whicn can only be controller with the mouse.

Fortunatelly, AutoHotkey is powerful enough to provide a solution by automatically placing the mouse pointer in the exact position of the screen and perform all the actions you need. I use that, for instance, for a pause/continue toggle or for adjusting my seat.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back