Out of fuel...it could happen.

100kg limit of fuel per GP for new 2014 season.
Would you be happy paying as much as it cost to attend a GP...only to have your favorite driver come up short on fuel?
I crunched some numbers and cannot honestly see how they'll get flag to flag racing to work with the new turbos at full tilt. I think it'll be worst than the tire debacle.
Most MAF/MAP sensors will signal the ECU to go 'fat' at full load. This is especially critical with blown engines to prevent detonation due to the additional volume of air delivered by turbocharging.
100kg of fuel weight equals approximately 220lbs.
Gasoline in the EU is calculated at 7.29lbs per gallon.
Am I missing something here?

Even at the new limit, it will result in 5 litres of fuel for every 10km. I'm sure this is more than achievable if they limit the fuel flow a bit more.

Also, with the reduced RPM's and engine size, this should already reduce fuel usage by default.

Last edited:
100kg limit of fuel per GP for new 2014 season.
Would you be happy paying as much as it cost to attend a GP...only to have your favorite driver come up short on fuel?
I crunched some numbers and cannot honestly see how they'll get flag to flag racing to work with the new turbos at full tilt. I think it'll be worst than the tire debacle.
Most MAF/MAP sensors will signal the ECU to go 'fat' at full load. This is especially critical with blown engines to prevent detonation due to the additional volume of air delivered by turbocharging.
100kg of fuel weight equals approximately 220lbs.
Gasoline in the EU is calculated at 7.29lbs per gallon.
Am I missing something here?
I don't think we will see more fuel problems than last season, the teams now have mandatory fuel flow sensors with max 0,5% divergence, the rest works ECU out.
The engines will run much lower than the max 15k rev limit in race mode due the fuel flow regulations above 10k and efficiency, the "overcharge" of the turbo is countered by the MGU-H, so there is no need the inject fuel to cool the engine further down.
The biggest issue is the flawless interaction between the myriads of completely new engine components, cooling and the big endurance challenge without proper testing.

The biggest issue is the flawless interaction between the myriads of completely new engine components, cooling and the big endurance challenge without proper testing.

Sometimes I wonder if the FIA just likes to throw these new rules and regulations at the teams willy nilly

Sometimes I wonder if the FIA just likes to throw these new rules and regulations at the teams willy nilly
Renault and Merc wanted these engines for PR reasons i.e. the old stupid claim of technology transfer from F1 to roadcars. Now they see the costs (for the useless hybrid system) and not many teams will be able to buy their engines in the long run, so they blame the FIA for everything.
A rulebook change to 3l with up to 20k rev limit and the possiblity to use nowadays cheap matrix aluminum alloys, without the stupidly expensive hybrid ****, would have been sweet and cheap from the well understood V8 2,4 platform.
Over 1000 bhp, a lot of simple mandatory high drag aero parts to stop the money arms race and we would have an exciting, cheap drivers/teams championship again.
Big car manufactures are the bane of F1, IMHO.

Over 1000 bhp, a lot of simple mandatory high drag aero parts to stop the money arms race and we would have an exciting, cheap drivers/teams championship again.
Big car manufactures are the bane of F1, IMHO.

Oh how I would enjoy that, I find F1 less and less interesting with all the politicking going on, surely there's a reason why they don't have a handicap system like they do in FIA GT.

The last good thing the Governing body did was three tier qualifying.
Almost everything since has been counter-productive to good racing...from the idiotic and dangerous degrading tires to double points to the five engines per season with almost a third more races to the 100kgs of fuel. None promote good racing.
The World Driver Championship should be renamed the World 'Lucky' Driver Championship.
It's clearly become more about luck and resources management than it is about speed and the best team.
As to the engine...I'm happy to see the return of the turbo.
I love turbos and turbo technology. I work with it everyday.
Having said that...Turbocharged engines not adequately cooled by fueling during peak boost usually try to emulate Chernobyl. They'll melt everything around.
I suspect we will see a few catastrophic failures this season.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back