OSW and rig -help needed

Hi all,
I want to start race again and buy new equipment for it. I like simucube and big mige, so it will be my choice (probably because of price, force, FW etc.). But I´m little confused about the encoders. Everybody says BISS-C is the best, but as i know, BISS-C is only a communication protocol (maybe not?). So if i find big mige with BISS-C encoder, is it that great 4,2MPPR or is possible it is something worse?
My second and bigger question is about rig. I definitely want a DIY plans. In the past, i had PVC tubes and some aluminium profiles with G27. For now I'm looking for some wooden rig (could it be strong enough for big mige?) for GT cars (my goal is VRS GT sprint series in iRacing). Number one candidate is
https://opensimracing.com/collections/wood-sim-rig-plans/products/plans-super-sport-atom-wood
Probably the pedal plate needs to be lower, but my biggest concerns are about rigidity. What do you thing about this choice? Is some rig which you can recommend? Geometry as close as possible to GT cars because of VR.
Is there some cheap usable quick release for wheels?

Thanks for replies and advices.

Hi all,
I want to start race again and buy new equipment for it. I like simucube and big mige, so it will be my choice (probably because of price, force, FW etc.). But I´m little confused about the encoders. Everybody says BISS-C is the best, but as i know, BISS-C is only a communication protocol (maybe not?). So if i find big mige with BISS-C encoder, is it that great 4,2MPPR or is possible it is something worse?
My second and bigger question is about rig. I definitely want a DIY plans. In the past, i had PVC tubes and some aluminium profiles with G27. For now I'm looking for some wooden rig (could it be strong enough for big mige?) for GT cars (my goal is VRS GT sprint series in iRacing). Number one candidate is
https://opensimracing.com/collections/wood-sim-rig-plans/products/plans-super-sport-atom-wood
Probably the pedal plate needs to be lower, but my biggest concerns are about rigidity. What do you thing about this choice? Is some rig which you can recommend? Geometry as close as possible to GT cars because of VR.
Is there some cheap usable quick release for wheels?

Thanks for replies and advices.

That wooden cockpit won't be solid enough. Some of the force feed will be absorbed into the cockpit reducing the fidelity of the effects being output that you will feel from the direct drive wheel. As you seem keen on DIY, build your own 80/20 aluminum profile for a solid platform for your wheel and pedals.

'Cheap' quick releases are a false economy, don't fall into that trap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. I have a small Mige and upgraded from a 40,000 cpr encoder to a BISS-C. It is better and smoother. Most mainstream OSW suppliers now include the BISS-C encoder anyway.

2. +1 for 80/20 rig. For a cheaper option look at Motedis

3. Unless you have more than one steering wheel you do not need a quick release.

Upvote 0
I'd echo the boys' thoughts here. Have the small Mige and a SimLab 80 20 chassis. Couldn't be happier.

The beautiful thing about 80 20 is you build it once and pretty much never have to worry about it again. If you change hardware, great, the chassis can change with you. You don't even need official pieces, if you're handy you can knock some brackets and mounts up yourself, out of whatever you have lying around.

Upvote 0
Thank's for advices.
I will build own rig from some profiles. Probably something between this one https://opensimracing.com/collections/metal-sim-rig-plans/products/8020-minimalist-rig-plans and Motedis X-dream. Something with bigger "table" for wheelbase, mouse tray, buttonbox etc.
I know that cheap quick releases are trash, but I hoped that exist something good. So my "mounting plan A" remains the same. For first try i will print on 3D printer some quick release for bike clamp, try it for some low settings for dialing best lenght of it and then make one on lathe from aluminium. Honestly, i will be using only one wheel for most races. My second will probably be only "must have" but no use (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2804043).
My question about the encoder was because i will not buy a OSW set, but separate parts and build it. I can have it almost 50% cheaper than buying a plug and play. If even the mige factory in china sells it with the 4,2M encoder, I will buy it directly from them.

Upvote 0
Hi, now i have almost everything i need, bucket seat, big mige with simucube with pro drivers, SHH shifter and old fanatec Elite LC pedals. Rig is X-dream, when i tryied to order material for own construction, it was more expensive than this kit. Last thing i need is rim mount (not QR but solid one) and servo bracket. I ordered them from simquip.net three weeks ago and when i wrote them at monday, they said that they have sent it but no tracking number and no answer for emails since than. Now i´m affraid that i will never see what i payied for.
So, have you got any recomendations for mount and bracket? I like asher´s one, but i don´t know, if lenze or KLM bracket can be used with MiGe servo. I can find sim lab bracket, but they say that is only for small mige (not rigid enough for big mige?). And is sim lab´s rim mount good for big mige? i´m little afraid about damaging the screws if i will swap the wheels too much.

Upvote 0
My question about the encoder was because i will not buy a OSW set, but separate parts and build it. I can have it almost 50% cheaper than buying a plug and play. If even the mige factory in china sells it with the 4,2M encoder, I will buy it directly from them.

Care to break down those numbers....I think your math is off a little, or your not factoring in a Large chunk of the hardware needed.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 140 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years