Optimum tyre temps for wet conditions?

Hi guys,

So I consider myself fairly good at setting up cars in the dry, but when it comes to tweaking around with the tyres and the temperatures for them when its wet... Is another matter!

I know that in the dry, the optimum temperature I believe is between 85-90(?) degrees, with a nice, gentle increase from the outer wall of the tyre, through to the inner wall. However, I noticed when I recently drove on a wet track for a good 25min race, my wet tyres were around 70-75 degrees (the two fronts on a FWD touring car) come the end of the race. In the latter stages I found it quite hard to get the car turned in, so I am guessing I could improve somehow on the tyre aspect of setup in the wet.

Now my questions to you guys are (for both FWD and RWD cars, if there is any difference):
1. What is the optimum tyre temps for wet/flooded conditions? (I am guessing its not 85-90 degrees like it would be in the dry).
2. What effects does the tyre pressure have on wet tyres in the wet?
3. What effects does camber have on wet tyres in the wet?

Thanks in advance chaps!:)

This is only observation, not a fact. It feels like 60-80 in wet is the same slip curve as 70-85 in dry. So wet optimal is 80 or above.. But the slip curve is much more forgiving with the wets. That only a gut feeling and times are getting a real hurt only under 60 with WTCC

Ok thanks @Aaron Channer!

So even when the track is flooded, and you are in a qualifying session, having the tyres at 80deg would still give a lot of grip? With the downside of that being the tyres won't last long?

They are the cars I drive the most too so this is very helpful and relevant. Thanks for your answer!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 350 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%