Optimum tyre temperatures in GT Legends

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
I am still confused about the tyre temps in GTL. The ancient rule with ISI game that the inner and outer tyre should have approx a difference of 5-7 degrees celsius doesnt seem to work for GTL, damn old cars :D

Any clue?

Bram, the tyres in GTL seem to be totally different. Usually I end up driving with fairly even temps across the tyres, but they take a few laps to come up to maximum grip too, often about 5 laps or more.
Something else I have noticed with the over-powered cars, if you slide them too much they quickly overheat and take a little while to return to normal grip, so the slidding spins can be real time wasters.
These cars and tyres are old, so you have to treat them carefully like most old things. :rotfl:

Remember, these are not modern sticky racing tyres, they're the historical compounds that are used to recreate relative grip levels from back then, but allied to the modern manufacturing and structure improvements so there's less delaminations and blow-outs and the like.

Also, quite a few of the cars have less camber adjustments available, so it's less likely you'll be able to dial in a sweet spot, so as Warren says, go with the best compromise and use pressures to try and even the temps out once you get inners and outers "about right".

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been wondering about this many times.

Usually I don't think about how high the temps are. If I try to reach 85 theres usually lots of over/under inflation with middle temp way off.

I only adjust camber to give some higher inner temp, but most importantly I adjust pressure to have middle temp close to average of inner and outer. Additionally I increase castor so that camber increases with steering input, which gives large improvements.

Very easy to overheat the rears on high powered cars as Warren said. In the BMW last saturday the rears were quite hot at the end:)

EDIT: Nice layout of the forum:):good:

I've just been using this xD thing with the CSL around Amaroo park.

It seems (for the CSL), that the tyres go "green" on the diagram at around 80 degrees.
I assume green means that they've warmed up, and are at there optimum performance.

Just from my experience in the past 20 mins or so...

Agreed Ben, xd showed that 3 of 4 of the Healey tyres were never at optimum either if green be opt. colour, of course that would change if I was sideways even more :rotfl:

We have a bit of a dilema in GTL as far as TPs go as we can only put the same pressures across axles instead of setting each tyre, so normally you will get the temps even on one tyre only to find they're off on the other side, another thing to bear in mind is the tyres are high sidewall treads on 65 cars, you will get a lot of heat/wear generated by flex if they're too soft, centre of tyre will expand further than sidewalls at high speed etc.

Sam

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 162 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 157 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 119 7.5%
  • < 5 years