Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

Nearing 10 years of playing this title and looking back, I feel simbin now Sector3 achieved there original goal and than some.

A good bare bones racing title that's great for new comers getting into simracing while not being overwhelmed by advanced features/tech that the other titles feature, while still having enough to keep veteran racers happy.

Great sound, ai, content, good ffb once you get it dialed in, and the stock tunes are stable and good out of the box so you can just jump in and race with your only worries being fuel, managing tire fall off (which both can be disabled) and keeping it on track.
Decent graphics that doesn't require a super computer to run for monitor users, tho VR users will need a beefier system due to the game only using a single core.

As a big fan of previous simbin/Sector3 games that were a bit more indepth than Raceroom. I find myself these days wanting more of those features.

My hopes for this titles is that Sector3 will either add new features to the current engine or an engine upgrade, possibly new title will allow new indepth features to be added.

Overall, a good racing title minus the payware system and online server errors.

Last edited:
Any sight of rain yet?

I don't think it is possible with the engine that raceroom is built on. And raceroom won't get a new engine because if it did, it would not be raceroom.

Plus, sector 3 are a business and have to monetise things so I can't see them changing the engine for free for existing users

I don't think it is possible with the engine that raceroom is built on. And raceroom won't get a new engine because if it did, it would not be raceroom.

Plus, sector 3 are a business and have to monetise things so I can't see them changing the engine for free for existing users
They don't even give exisitng Brands Hatch users the full track so I would have to agree.

Back before I took a 2 year break, Raceroom was one of my favourite sims, but not quite my absolute fav (which was AC). That said, I was mostly doing top gear stuff or rallying offline, which was awesome with all the brilliant AC mods. I wasn't too much into online racing and if, I only did club races from Racedepartment, split pretty even between Raceroom and AC.

Now coming back after all this time, my focus is solely on online racing. Probably also due to the Covid situation and having a lot less social life going on, I don't play offline/alone anymore, period.

So I (almost) thought about buying IRacing to have that constant online fix. BUT two main issues there. First of all the price..which I just don't want to accept. And second is the awful collision physics, which destroy just too many races because of minimal collisions, that always happen during close racing. This was absolutely putting me off.

Then by accident (well, rather Ross telling me in Discord) I discovered, that R3E also has official ranked and scheduled races now. Which is absolutely brilliant. The collision physics in Raceroom are by a long stretch the best in the sim racing market, which makes online racing a lot more enjoyable and less "wrecky" then in other sims. This combined with the safety rating pretty much ensures clean online racing - I didn't receive any punting leading to a crash or even a spin so far.

In addition, at least during the EU prime time, you have always filled grids, so you'll always find someone to race against with the same pace then yourself.

Honestly, I can't fathom why you would choose IRacing over Raceroom now as a road racer.
Raceroom is better in pretty much every aspect.
- way cheaper
- more interesting car classes and mostly more diverse classes
- more interesting and not so US based tracks
- way better sound
- better FFB (subjective)
- more believable grip (less "on/off")
- way better collision physics which really makes or breaks an open lobby online sim for me

I also like the weekly changing schedule, that always forces you to learn new cars and tracks, also lesser known ones that you don't see as often, especially the classic car stuff.

For me Raceroom is far and beyond my favourite sim now and the only time I spend in other sims is when there is a nice RD club race going on

I feel they really should put out more advertising regarding the official scheduled races, I bet a big part of the IRacing folks, at least the more open-minded ones, would definitely consider Raceroom as a good alternative now, but I think most of them don't even know that this feature now exists.

Last edited:
The Online Multiplayer racing is just Solid! and Fun. offline racing and custom championship system is good as well. Soon it will get even better with a revamped FFB . Glad I kept the content purchases up to date over the years and booted it up now and again to check it's progress, now booting it up on a regular basis. All it needs next is 24 hours with weather. Good to see more and more Aussies on the servers.

Now I enjoy Raceroom from time to time for the touring cars...but how do you label it heaps above the rest?
The devs in the last blog regarding the next big update even said the ffb was wonky and wasn't taking physics properly....hence another ffb, physics update coming.
DX9 graphics with zero modern features that some were even in Race 07 and GTR along with zero track tech that every other sim has.
It's got good sound, variety and above avg. Ai.

But overall, unless they decide to do what iracing and reiza did with ams and continue to build on the current engine, I feel this engine is long past due for a retirement.
As an overall product In today's sim racing it's a very basic package

Last edited:
DX9 graphics with zero modern features that some were even in Race 07 and GTR along with zero track tech that every other sim has.
Yes, the graphics engine needs to be updated. We can say all you want that graphics are not the main thing and be happy that the game runs on a pumpkin computer on a single thread, but this is not the 2021 standard.

The game is fantastic all around, even with Poliolithic-era graphics. Simple need all new graphics, but I'm sure we won't see it. Rain may be in 3,000 years.

Last edited:
With Simbin's GTR3 suffering from stage fright, maybe RaceRoom should go ahead with the graphics update. R3E is already a popular title, has a player base and only needs a little modernization to grow. On top of that, PCARS 3 sort of proved that an Arcade track racer is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Then what's the alternative engine they should use?
They wouldnt need too if they continued adding code and updating the current engine.
But there's several options they could choose from if they did, all of which comes with pro's and cons.

2017 they announced the move to Unreal engine...no news since
Several years ago they mentioned possibly updating to dx11 prior moving to the unreal engine to improve performance....no news since.

I'm not knocking the engine for it's graphics, I'm knocking it for it's lack of capabilities that add to the overall driving experience that all the current sims offer.
Track rubbering
Multi grooves
Track debris
Loose surface physics (madness/iracing)
Dynamic heating/day to night
Dynamic shadows effecting track temps
Dynamic tires
Etc.

After 10yrs I kinda wish we had of gotten a remastered Race07 isi engine than the current one. Reiza showed how far that engine could be pushed.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 423 16.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 283 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 277 10.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 192 7.6%
  • < 5 years