Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

I am not sure why, but developers don't seem as focused on offering a good multiplayer experience. They underestimate its true value to their own revenue streams.
Perhaps they have conducted their own market research and have found the majority of Sim Racers prefer the offline/single player experience?
In fairness, Sector3 did the 2nd best MP ranked system next to iRacing.
Problem was, this titles player base has always been small outside of the UK.....take the COVID yr out of play and I'm not even sure they have had more than a peak of a 1000 players in 10yrs
For ranked servers to work properly they need much higher player counts.
People also forget that running 24/7 servers cost alot of money.

People are quick to bash iRacing subscription plan but I look at it as it's the fee to pay for the hundreds of 24/7 race and practice servers they have setup worldwide to help with better connections.

Just had an offline race in Raceroom. First time in 3-4 years. It's great to be back. New PC, 200 fps, new wheel, but where are the raceroom race club races? :(

In fairness, Sector3 did the 2nd best MP ranked system next to iRacing.
Problem was, this titles player base has always been small outside of the UK.....take the COVID yr out of play and I'm not even sure they have had more than a peak of a 1000 players in 10yrs
For ranked servers to work properly they need much higher player counts.
People also forget that running 24/7 servers cost alot of money.

People are quick to bash iRacing subscription plan but I look at it as it's the fee to pay for the hundreds of 24/7 race and practice servers they have setup worldwide to help with better connections.
Being an armchair expert, if I wanted to boost sales and achieve maximum online participation, I would offer a flexibility account based purely on multiplayer and ranking.

The flexibility account would offer the end user any of the Cars or Tracks racing at that moment in a Ranked Server - Safety Rating would have to apply.

If you already own the Track or Car, you will be exempt from any charges. , placating those who have already shelled out.
1 Month Free Trial Period.
@£5.00 a month.
or 12 months up front for £50.00

The above only matters to those who like live Multiplayer online ranked servers.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back