Opinion: What Do You Think Is Missing From Sim Racing?

ACC has formation or last corner as a start type and to be honest most (99%) go for last corner rather than a formation lap. At about 30mph a formation lap is no fun at all (especially in a full motion rig due to it violently juddering when you hit the rev limiter).

ACC has formation or last corner as a start type and to be honest most (99%) go for last corner rather than a formation lap. At about 30mph a formation lap is no fun at all (especially in a full motion rig due to it violently juddering when you hit the rev limiter).

They were talking about a standing open wheeler start with formation lap.
If you want a serious and good performing fun start with good cornering and braking exactly from T1, then you better should do a full formation lap in most cases, because you can really optimize your temp and working window better, than the sim would do. You can get quite task saturated with it on some tracks, while going double file, standing slightly on the brakes, maybe even with weaving allowed, but don't punish your tyres while warming and so on.

The rev limiter thing is an ACC problem, not a formation lap problem. Why they haven't replaced it with a better and more realistic solution (pass the car in front, get a penalty) is beyond me, it's been requested and something the devs assured would be coming, since the beginning of EA. It's these sorts of stupid issues that keep me from playing ACC much, even if it's by far the closest thing to what I think a complete sim should be.

The rev limiter thing is an ACC problem, not a formation lap problem. Why they haven't replaced it with a better and more realistic solution (pass the car in front, get a penalty) is beyond me, it's been requested and something the devs assured would be coming, since the beginning of EA. It's these sorts of stupid issues that keep me from playing ACC much, even if it's by far the closest thing to what I think a complete sim should be.

I have a simple solution: join our club races :) in multi-player mode at least, the pit limiter during the formation lap can be removed, and we do a full formation lap as well :thumbsup:

First of all, i would like everybody to stop talking about simulations.
We are talking about racing games and not simulations.

This is a very important aspect.
Game is about hobby, enjoyable experience at home, ...
Racing is about money, complexity, risks, engineering, death.
This reality can not be simulated. We are all enthusiastic about racing, but this will never happen.

I understood that after my wife offered me a session on track with a real porsche gt3 cup ready to race.
This will never be simulated. That is just a lie.

We have already fantastics games available, and everybody can find something suitable to his needs. Nothing is perfect, but I have a lot of respect for the hard work and talent of all the studios.

In my opinion they should stop to concentrate on the physics but more on polishing there GAMES. It has been the secret of grand prix legends nascar 2003, gtr2, .....

For the future in 20 years ?
I just can imagine that we will be maybe able to enter live a real race with virtual reality, with the same view as on of the real pilot.

It will be then simulation, and not game anymore. Until then, talking about simulation is a pure marketing trick

To go further on the reality vs simulation.
I had th opportunity to attend many races of all sorts when I was young.

And all that I have in memories is how the all thing is brutal, thrilling, almost scary, and can not be simulated.

How can be simulated the feeling of a rally group B passing by at 200 km/h in a explosion sound, on roads where every normal people would never consider to drive at more than 50 km/h ???

How can be simulated the feeling of about 60 le mans prototype appearing sudenly at full speed underground the dunlop bridge without chicanes ? Even as just a spectator it is something about scary.

How can we simulated the feeling of Senna approaching at full speed the curve of signes at the end of the mistral straight at Paul ricard with his lotus Renault.
You are just feeling he is gonna die if he doesnt brake NOW. And he takes the curve flat out in an incredible noise.

First of all, i would like everybody to stop talking about simulations.
We are talking about racing games and not simulations.

This is a very important aspect.
Game is about hobby, enjoyable experience at home, ...
Racing is about money, complexity, risks, engineering, death.
This reality can not be simulated. We are all enthusiastic about racing, but this will never happen.

I understood that after my wife offered me a session on track with a real porsche gt3 cup ready to race.
This will never be simulated. That is just a lie.

We have already fantastics games available, and everybody can find something suitable to his needs. Nothing is perfect, but I have a lot of respect for the hard work and talent of all the studios.

In my opinion they should stop to concentrate on the physics but more on polishing there GAMES. It has been the secret of grand prix legends nascar 2003, gtr2, .....

For the future in 20 years ?
I just can imagine that we will be maybe able to enter live a real race with virtual reality, with the same view as on of the real pilot.

It will be then simulation, and not game anymore. Until then, talking about simulation is a pure marketing trick

So therefore all commercial pilots must train on games :confused:

Simulating something is NEVER going to be the same as actually doing it we are all aware and in agreement with that.
However a simulator will ‘simulate’ various aspects of what ever it is they are trying to simulate.
Being in a sim you will never have to find sponsors or money to pay for licensing or upkeep of your vehicle. You can have as many races in a week as a racer will have in a year if you want.

There are different levels of simulation from wheels to full motion.

Last edited:
Oil spills.
It existed in F1 CE,13 years ago
Good point - I completely forgot that title due to it being another generic, by the numbers F1 game.

Realtime weather is missing too

I once raced at Silverstone in RF2 and it was actually raining at the same time in real life at the circuit.
Like oil spills, it is not missing, because at least one game produced over the last thirty years has simulated it.
Several games allow you to choose the weather before the race - just check the real life weather reports and ensure you have Realtime weather.

Regardless, I will change my answer to "Oil Spills in a modern game that I actually want to play and is good and has got a lot of the other features of other modern games..."

I'd like to join multiplayer races as a spectator in VR. And then walk (and/or teleport) around the track, sitting on the virtual grandstands or somewhere else and watch the race in Virtual reality. :cool:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 378 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%