Opinion | Racing In The Rain

I voted 10% or less.
Racing games with rain can be hit or miss in single player, AI can either be too fast or too slow, so it's hard to get a even playing field IMO. In multiplayer however it comes down to setup/player skill and it is the same difficulty and challenge for everybody.

I do feel having wet conditions does make it more realistic as they really do race in the rain IRL, however sometimes they also run at a slower pace usually behind a pace car if conditions are too bad which can be boring as heck. And let's not forget how fun a race that get's red flagged and shorted can be, and I sure don't want either of those situations in a race sim, but they are realistic.

Under 10% here. I have a hard enough time racing in dry conditions. Rain is a headache I never look forward to in the light weight sim games I have; and only a novelty in the more hard core sims in my library. Maybe once I get good enough, I'll run rain more.

I'm ok with racing in rain but I spend less than 10% of my time doing it since I mainly play AC in singleplayer and I don't like it much there. I never tried it online tho, it might be fun with real people.
I like it on rf2 and rally games like Dirt Rally and RBR.

GTR2, everyone's dad.
dynamic day / night and weather. in 2006 .... and with mods.
the closest thing is PC2 (without mods) ... and ACC (little content)
the others are simulators of hotlaps. (rf1-2, ac, etc)

I was really excited when project cars 2 announced they would have a real time weather app based on location.......than it launched and didn't work properly and they didn't renew the license after a yr :(

That being said, if the games I play had a real time weather app I would use it 100% of the time increasing the chances of driving in the rain or wet conditions as I find it adds to the simulation/strategy aspect.

I like rain to happen naturally, not force it (though I do it from time to time). Really adds thrill and makes you think hard and fast.

Just yesterday I booted up F1 2019 after I repaired the shifters on my wheel, so I hadn't raced in a while. 25% race at Hockenheim, sim damage. It's raining a bit and I start in inters, as everyone. Because I'm dumb like that I spin at turn 2, drop to last and start driving the hell out of the car.

Good ol' Jeff tells me the rain will stop in around 5 minutes and after a couple of laps I do notice a line forming. I consider pitting, Jeff says no, inters are fastest, but as I finally get within striking distance of the pack, I disagree, so I dive into the pits for softs.

First lap is super tense and I screw up the 1st sector. But sectors 2 and 3 come green. The very next lap, everyone is in the pits and I shoot up to 12th. Could've been higher if I hadn't messed up the out lap.

After a while, the sun is shining. But that also meant the tyres were degrading. Jeff calls me in, I see the tyres are at around 50% usage and I have around 5 laps left so I ignore it. In the last 3 laps the tyres really go off a cliff and I start understeering like crazy. I'm 7th after a couple of overtakes, but I lose one position to Bottas, apparently caught out by the weather as well.

That's when the two most intense laps I've had in that game begin, fending off Sainz and Perez, to finally cross the line in 8th. I was exhausted. And all that was due to the dynamic weather system in the game.

So yes, weather to me is always a great addition to any title.

Isn't ACC the only one with dynamic rain and wind, I know pCars had rain blowing sideways but that did nothing to car model

rFactor2 has wind controls do nothing and rain visuals are terrible and wet compounds ?

For visuals have to be ACC/pCars /codies

edit: Forgot GTR2 \HQ Rain \AL Special Effects really added good immersaion

I don't mind racing in the rain for all the reasons above, trying to find the grip, etc. Its another thing.

BUT my PC doesn't like the rain! The FPS goes South, that's my biggest reason not to do it.

I love rain races but..

- AC - Rain is not realistic looks like but too much to do in this aspect
- RF2 - when you set storm the surface of track turn to ice track for almost cars
- PC2- Amazing graphics in rain conditions, the best, sadly handling sucks

10% for me just when i want a change from the usual.
I actually dislike when games with dynamic weather give me "too much rain", like in career/season mode and we have rain in more than half the race weekends.

I had to vote never, and it's not because I don't like rain, but more because my PC is a potato, and unfortunately, it's too much for my system to handle. I'd like to try it out, and maybe on a better computer, I'd probably do it around the 10% range.

In my sim of choice (Assetto Corsa), rain isn't even built in, and honestly, I think that's a huge shortcoming of Kunos. Thankfully we have mods to resolve that, and the same could be said about 24h racing. Both rain and night racing have definitely been possible in gaming for a long time. NFS Underground - as arcade as that is - had both, and that was 20 years ago! So why they didn't include it in the base game is beyond me.

If these options exist in the real world, and a sim wants to replicate real world racing, they should be standard features. Just my 2 cents.

I think people are not effective enough for wet conditions. I think people is major obstacle for simulation of anything. Simply because 1/10 can't drive, doesn't have imagination and is boring and only works within their tiny comfort zone - must drive a gt3 with most grippy tire, must be optimum track conditions, must be same sun angle because they will obviously use shadows as braking markers.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.7%