Opinion - Mod or Not to Mod?

My Opinion on Mods 2016 - Oh Cool Theres more than 100 cars in AC now (This Was Before I Had DLC)
My Opinion on Mods 2018 - So Now I Have Over 1000 Cars "All The Options".....
My Opinion on Mods 2020 - 3500+ Cars, 700+ Tracks, 1.5Tb Game Folder/Archive Folder (I Need Help On This Pointless Addiction)....

1,5 Tb?? Wow... Have you used "Compress Files" tool in Content Manager?

I know very little about anything, but it depends on the base:
GTR2 is for me the endurance GT sim with more features:cool:, only recently reached by others. but as I said its "base" are the gts endurance (gte, gt-lm) and is comfortable with the GT mods and touring cars. I would not use it for a kart mod, F1 or nascar / indycar, they are very far from the gt base.

F1 Challenge 99-02 does NOT need mods (please don't kill me) it's perfect default as it is. but as I said the most appropriate mods in this case are those of f1, not those of dtm or emmhh touring cars.
On the other hand, ACC is in my opinion like F1 challenge: it has 2 seasons of competition (blancpain and intercontinental gt challenge) and their respective circuits. I don't need mods.

rfactor / rfactor2 / AC is a mix, it accepts any mod ... but it doesn't have "soul", they just look like hotlaps or full grid races without championships as if they have ACC, GTR2 and F1C.

Here I did not take into account the physics, I care more if I like ME that the opinion poser of the others of "I have the best sim". (I use gamepad)

My Opinion on Mods 2016 - Oh Cool Theres more than 100 cars in AC now (This Was Before I Had DLC)
My Opinion on Mods 2018 - So Now I Have Over 1000 Cars "All The Options".....
My Opinion on Mods 2020 - 3500+ Cars, 700+ Tracks, 1.5Tb Game Folder/Archive Folder (I Need Help On This Pointless Addiction)....
98% of these mods are useless. Ripping models from other titles with copy/paste physics from more or less "similar" cars makes no sense at all. And then a lot of these modders ask for a "beer" for their "effort". It's funny, that's clearly a theft. I don't understand why part of the community support this.

Last edited:
There is nothing that screams "PC MASTER RACE" more than mods... and "edit autoexec.bat". It's all about DIY, freedom and stuff like that. One can't not love it.

EDIT: BTW, a lot of actual simulation/game developers could go pro much because they were modders at first. It's one of the best schools for those who want to go in games/sim development because you learn, have real feedback and can make a functional network.

Last edited:
I have to agree with a post that suggest the poll is badly worded.

But I see "From a trusted modder, no problem." is leading the scores.
I have ask all those that voted this way, How do you determine which is trusted? One we know from years off experience?
So the new modders got get a look in. I find this a worrying trend. New people to modding learn from the mistakes and feedback from you is a big part off that. If you just use/download "trusted" content how dose the community grow?

Worse case; No new game are mod able. No one learn how to make 3D model, Do physics, Textures, Liveries, out side the developers who for the most part are about the money.
What will your games be like then? All games, not just racing.

I REALLY like it when mods get on the quality of the original content. In fact i hate it a bit when the mod is better quality, because then i want everything else from the main game to be THAT quality.

That being said, you CANT have good mods without shitty mods for practice first. So i dont think there's any good in limiting mod creativity.

Cut the Forza rips a little slack... nearly every serious physics modder I've ever met loves to use them as dev mules now and again. You guys owe the NFS packs to the facebook rippers.
100% agree. Since Kunos wont bother with street cars as mods i have to seek forza and gran turismo rips.

Yeah... took me a full year of fixing crap mods and working on my own WRX before I felt like I ought to be doing public work. Without rips to practice on, I wouldn't be here.

As for mods exceeding official content, well, that's not really much of a feat. Once a modder learns the engine, there's no reason his/her work won't exceed the pros'. With AC as an example, Aris pointed out in an interview that on average he has maybe 1-3 weeks per car. I've had 5 years to work on my Subaru. You can figure that one out.

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be a thread posing a question to modders about their craft... I was all ready to strongly advocate for "not." :D

No. Even if we wanted to hear from the modders, we only want to hear from the ones who work long hours on physics mainly, and until it is awesome, and do it for free.....oh wait.

:)
As a modder, I have two tracks that I have scratch built over the last 1 0 years. I started to do this for myself and then shared. I get disheartened at my skill level and do tend to compare myself with others ("I wish I was that good!")

I think that mods are needed for sure, and I roll the dice and download all sorts....and some get deleted in minutes...others I have had for 10+years.

I am going to continue to develop these tracks I have created, and have a new one I am working on now.

There are some amazing people out there and my file library is full of stuff which is hard to find. Modding should certainly be part of what we do............The next step for me is to learn how to convert my rFactor 2 tracks to AC......not sure on that one

Back when we did the "rate the sims" shindig, I was so surprised by the amount of people rating AC by only the standard content and not including the modded content towards their rating of the game. Some modded content is better than the original content (looking at you RSS). Someone put it really well earlier in this thread, you learn who the good modders are and you wait for their new content just like you would with official DLC. Modding is sweet.

I have always used mods and for me they are fundamental as the developers who do a wonderful job often out of pure passion, they are great. As in all things, there are successful mods and others less but it remains, that also thanks to the modders a simulator can last forever such as RBR which has always been a constant development or as AC which is increasingly spectacular

A couple of thoughts:

- The idea that a car maker should be *paid* to advertise their cars in games is ridiculous. If anything, the car makers ought to support the developers who advertise their wares to an eager audience.

- People want their favourite cars and tracks in their favourite racing title. Quelle Surprise.

- I see no problem with putting one car from a game I've legitimately bought into another game I've legitimately bought. I've already paid for the privilege, haven't I? Why should I be at the mercy of the whims of some development and art director I don't even know? I bought a toy, which means I get to decide how I derive fun from it. Suggesting that I shouldn't be allowed to is as ridiculous as suggesting that I can't play with my collection of brand X's matchbox cars on brand Y's toy gas station or car park. As a corollary to that, if I want to play with a really cool model from game X in the updated engine of game Y, why shouldn't I be able to do that or pay someone to do it for me with a beer (assuming that I've bought legitimate copies of both titles)?

- Conversely, I see no problem with putting a cool track from game X into game Y -- again, assuming that I've bought legitimate copies of both titles.

What I AM fairly adamant about is that modding ought to be about sharing recipes, not copyrighted content. Sharing a recipe (either in the form of written instructions, video or in the form of software) which shows how to copy car A out of game X and converting it into the format of game Y while taking advantage of game Y's features (provided the software checks for legitimate copies of game X and Y) is a pretty cool thing to do IMHO.

Similarly, creating a mod which tweaks some existing car A in game Y into an improved version of car A (like many people do in the real world) and sharing it with the world is cool to. Bonus points for making it high quality.

In general, creating assets/software from scratch and sharing them in the spirit of the "Cathedral Modding Concept" under a "Modding Resource" like licence is a pretty cool thing to do in my book, too.

But sharing copyrighted assets (i.e. exporting a model from game X and offering it up on the internet either gratis or for payment) aka "Ripping" is not OK IMHO.

The salient point here is that it is important to respect those who make a living taking the risks associated with producing commercial games by rewarding them financially. That's how and why the market works.

It is also important to state that the model for modding I outline above, where amateurs share their labour of love in a manner that rewards original content creators economically, is in no way a threat to said content creators in an economical sense. If anything, it paves the way for showing what people legitimately want and thus creates incentive for professionals to create better content to an eager audience willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing