Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DRIVE Game 9.png

A new open world racing game in the vein of Test Driver Unlimited has entered into the Kickstarter Crowdfunding programme. D.R.I.V.E, stranding for Diverse Racing In Vast Environments, looks to raise £28,000 in the next 23 days as the studio aim to build a game to fill the gap left by the popular Test Drive series.

Input Games have revealed details of the D.R.I.V.E Kickstarter campaign designed to raise funds towards developing a new massive free roam open world racing title, with a strong emphasis on large scale online multiplayer racing. The team behind the proposed game are a community derived studio made up of like minded players of open world driving releases.

D.R.I.V.E - Announcement Trailer

The studio have promised the new title will be "feature rich with experiences never before seen in driving games" and have a strong emphasis on car culture. Due to feature up to 100 unique vehicles from hatchbacks, performance vehicles, racing cars and GT spec machines, the D.R.I.V.E game will aim to cater to all different driving tastes. Unlike the Testdrive series the game has been inspired by, D.R.I.V.E will not contain any real world manufacturers but instead feature cars designed and modelled in house at the studio.

The game will be based at the fictional Isle d'Auriga location, with a career progression structure designed to maintain the players interest and offer something more than just simply driving and entering racing events. Players will begin their gaming experience with a rental vehicle, where the target will be to complete in events and earn cash to purchase cars for themselves. Once the player gathers enough money they can move on to purchasing property and exploring the hidden activities within the game map. Race tracks and car meets can be found within the game environment, and players can spontaneously challenge friends to join in on races with each other or take part in social experiences. Should rental cars not be your thing, the opportunity to take out a loan and hire your own vehicle exists, but repayments need to be made on your purchase as you look to build up a reputation and cash inventory.

"D.R.I.V.E's Physics have been designed to be realistic, yet characterful, with each vehicle having different characteristics from the factory. Optional extras such as sports suspension, spoilers, weight reduction kits and exterior styling packages all feature in D.R.I.V.E, with many of which changing how the vehicles handles". State Input Games.​

"Specific options can vastly change the characteristics of a vehicle. Purchased a sports exhaust? Your car will be noticeable louder. Purchased the sport package? It will impact how the car handles; from stiffer suspension, to increased down force. The modifications that you make will change the characteristics of your car, reacting to your in-game decisions."
In a rather cool and unique idea from Input games, as the game ages new vehicles and facelift models will be made available to purchase, moving the older content out into the second hand marketplace.

"In order to give each vehicle a chance to shine, the variety of missions is just as large as the car list. From high speed test track sessions to off-road time trials, from delivery missions to heavy transport and from multi-lap circuit races to police pursuits, players will always be busy and there will always be something to do on Auriga."
D.R.I.V.E is proposed for an initial PC only release, with other platforms to be considered at a later date. The studio anticipate D.R.I.V.E could be released in December 2017 and in order to help facilitate the development of the game several crowdfunding perks have been offered depending on the level of backing contributed. For further details of the backer levels and to contribute to the campaign, visit the D.R.I.V..E Kickstarter page here.

DRIVE Game 2.jpg DRIVE Game 3.jpg DRIVE Game 4.jpg DRIVE Game 6.jpg DRIVE Game 7.jpg DRIVE Game 8.jpg DRIVE Game 10.jpg DRIVE Game.jpg DRIVE Game 5.jpg

Did you play the old Test Drive Unlimited games? Will you be interested in trying out D.R.I.V.E for yourself? Will you be taking part in the crowdfunding campaign? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Horrible name? Check.
Open world driving / racing game? Check.
Seemingly no licensed cars? Check.
Dated graphics? Check.
Made from former members of a team that once made a good game no one has successfully recreated despite numerous attempts? Check.

Yup, this will be a flop. TDU1 was fantastic, but I sure as heck won't be holding my breath. What is there in that blurb is there that says anything other than "Need For Speed : Knockoff Edition"

I would love to see a open world racer, but not this one. Something that combines the physics of AC, with the graphics of Driveclub and the open world environment of TDU is what imagen as the perfect driving game for me, though we may never see something of that like A boy can hope.

The only way I'd support an Open Driver it would be if in this world there were racetracks, rally stages, desert stages, etc.
Then I can see having some fun taking a car with a trailer, drive it to the track, unload my Ferralamborati and start lapping.
Or drive my beater Beamer to the local rally stage at a certain time and rip through the woods.

Otherwise, Open World driving with a FWD hatchback or an unremarkable no brand sedan designed by idiots? Might as well call the game 'Need for Speed: Commute'.

Hey, I had an idea for a sequel or a special mode. You start in a home where a baby is crying and you have to put the baby in car seat, then drive around until the baby goes to sleep. Need for speed: Parenthood.

I should be in marketing.

The only way I'd support an Open Driver it would be if in this world there were racetracks, rally stages, desert stages, etc.
Then I can see having some fun taking a car with a trailer, drive it to the track, unload my Ferralamborati and start lapping.
Or drive my beater Beamer to the local rally stage at a certain time and rip through the woods.

Otherwise, Open World driving with a FWD hatchback or an unremarkable no brand sedan designed by idiots? Might as well call the game 'Need for Speed: Commute'.

Hey, I had an idea for a sequel or a special mode. You start in a home where a baby is crying and you have to put the baby in car seat, then drive around until the baby goes to sleep. Need for speed: Parenthood.

reading the site, there will be rally, and upgrading, and all that jazz.

this is something i had in mind

imagine a huge MMO which combines racing games, flight simulators and something like Eurotruck SImulator, where you could hire someone to fly you stuff from your homebase to somewhere, where someone else would take a job to transport it to racing currcuit and there you will drive it :)

each one could find something they would like about it

downside would be that such game will take ages to finish and cost fortune

This will go nowhere.
28.000 GBP gets them nowhere, no clue what that amount is even meant to be used for....
And even if they really release it, there's no marketing budget to get the game known, which will result in day 1 dead multiplayer, which means insta-death for a multiplayer focused game with dated graphics and arcady physics.

Holy negativity batman! It's a bit early to judge.

At the end of the day it's a fantastic idea and anyone (like myself) who's been left disappointed with every attempt at a sequel for TDU (TDU2, The Crew plus competitors like FH) should be glad they're trying to give the players what they want.

Holy negativity batman! It's a bit early to judge.

At the end of the day it's a fantastic idea and anyone (like myself) who's been left disappointed with every attempt at a sequel for TDU (TDU2, The Crew plus competitors like FH) should be glad they're trying to give the players what they want.
seriously. The video even says the graphics are pre-alpha.

tl;dr, but surely £28K must be the refreshments budget not to build the actual game? Unless they have a team of suckers working for peanuts it's hard to see how something of this scope can possibly work out. But good luck to them anyway...

not to discourage the developer, but there are some projects that goes by the name Forza Horizon, which is basicly what this game's going to be, plus all cars were licensed cars, not some in house "GTA look a like"hahahhaha, but one thing that I like about it are what you can do inside the car, like switching on ignition and so on, that's nice IMO

if I'm the one making it, most likely gonna have realistic physics like AC or better, traffic algorithm of City Car Driving, unlimited customization and modding of SLRR, licensed cars, online capabilities, crazy graphics of Driveclub and the location as large as a GTA, across island, with it's own race track, highway and so on, and you can also create a character just like TDU and walk around in 1st person instead of seeing ghost car wandering around hahahaha... but that's just me.... does sound stupidly ridiculous, but hey, that's my idea of a complicated, but utterly, uber cool of a open road car sim....

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%