Tracks Opel Rennbahn 1920s

I don't want to spam the "What are you working on" thread with too many screenshots of my W.I.P. project Opel Rennbahn, that's why I started this new post here.

All four stands (the dominant buildings of the track) are done. Of course there are some more buildings to do, but only small ones and buildings that are far away or out of view.

Some screenshots:

Stand 1 and stand 2 on the right. On the left a few bicycles I found on the reference images, some rubbish from thousands of spectators (the spectators are still missing) and the table of the lap counter. Forever lap 3 ;-)

rennbahn1.jpg

The stands in a row on the outside of the oval. On the right the bridge with the Opel logo.

rennbahn2.jpg

From left to right: VIP stand - press stand - entrance - "Continental" grandstand - Opel bridge - infield with parking area for the race cars + hundreds of spectators (still missing).

rennbahn4.jpg

The longest stand, the "Continental" grandstand. It's my name for this stand because of the Continental-Reifen ads. I'm not sure about the flags, the reference image shows a kind of bright circle and two bright bars on dark ground, maybe two words, could be a flag of a land too, but I decided to repeat the Continental theme. Torpedo and Opel ad on the left are quite certain.

rennbahn3.jpg

New: Taunus (low mountain range in the distance with its highest point "Großer Feldberg", by the way location of Fat-Alfies "Feldbergring" - "Großer Feldberg" is visible in the last screenshot), flags, most of them in the colours of Hesse, red and white, I think (not clear in black-and-white images), sunshades, some 1920s people, late 1920s cars and more houses like the small Opel "Wärterhaus" in the middle and the huge buildings of the waterworks behind the avenue.

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_30-0-121-12-27-49.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_30-0-121-23-4-4.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_30-0-121-23-7-3.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_30-0-121-23-22-40.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_30-0-121-23-32-57.jpg

... any update re release?
Easter 2021, together with Dessau 1952

In the background forests on the right? Is so, did you look it up on maps, figured out where the view was pointing to and estimate the distance?

Distance to Großer Feldberg is 28.5 km to the north and 3.8 km to the east. Highest point of Großer Feldberg is at 879 or 880 m (many different numbers for that), whereas the track is 90 m above sea level. That's a difference of 790 m.
I made a low poly 3D mesh of Taunus in a scale of 1:10 (x/y and z values).
I know, there is low resolution height data available, but I want to do things by myself wherever possible with no third party contents.
So distance from 2/3 of the back "straight" to Feldberg is 2.875 km in my model (diagonal line), 2.85 km to the north, 0.38 km to the right. Height difference is 79 m (track is at 0 m in the model).
There are of course some parallax errors, but the track is very small and the mountain range is only visible from the back straight, therefore error should be tolerable.
A larger problem was the brightness of the hills. They were too dark with too much saturation, because of the close positioning to the track (1/10th of original distance, as I mentioned before).
I solved this by adding an alpha transparency.

Same procedure is planned for the lower Odenwald, which will only be visible in TV camera view, if at all.

Was that wrong?

Feldbergring would be here. Not true to scale, just a fast sketch of an untalented painter.
feldbergrennen.jpg

My 1:10 model of Taunus. Not perfect, but at least I tried.
Taunus.jpg

A typical mistake at Rennbahn. Lasted only 290 meters (see 300 m mark on the left).
The texture of the curbstone still misses a normal map, will be applied soon.

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_3-1-121-15-24-13.jpg

More progress:

Electricity installed.

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_3-1-121-15-31-48.jpg

I'm not entirely sure about the use of the small buildings (approx. 3 x 3.5 m) in the center of both banked turns.
Either they were toilets or food stands. Map says "Restauration", which is a - now uncommon - expression for a restaurant. So I made a food stand, with some things borrowed from Dessau.
All the people are variations of Dessau's people. The clothes had to be adapted to 1920s fashion.
The food seller has the best view to the most dangerous part of the track.

Screenshot_sunbeam_2l_rennbahn_3-1-121-22-20-19.jpg

Screenshot_sunbeam_2l_rennbahn_3-1-121-22-24-32.jpg

The paddock area.

Screenshot_sunbeam_2l_rennbahn_3-1-121-22-17-3.jpg

Update:

I'm working full time again, which means I'm 12 hours a day at work (with driving times).
After that I'm doing sports for an hour, so - unfortunately - there's not much time left for track making during working days.
Nevertheless, I was able to improve Rennbahn a bit:

I added the outer fences, the time table, the overhead line of the railway track, all 11 track marshals, the three parking spots for visitors, some tree rows in the distance, a small forest and a lot of power cables.

A few hundred meters away from the track, there were some further buildings. Unfortunately I don't have any high resolution reference images of them. 90 percent of them do not exist anymore today.
They are not really visible from the car but maybe in TV camera view, that's why I want to do them as detailed as possible - my task for the next two weeks.

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_20-1-121-22-41-36.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_20-1-121-22-44-54.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_20-1-121-22-46-30.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_rennbahn_20-1-121-22-53-3.jpg

Screenshot_sunbeam_2l_rennbahn_16-1-121-15-25-26.jpg

Please release this now!!! Das ist ein Befehl!!!

If you have some details still wip so you can release updated version later!!! I have seen many mods never released as creator is never happy but found new details to do all the time and project continues forever...

So for all modders, most important thing is that mod works fine, details etc eye candy comes next.

Without wanting to put words in THL's mouth, personally speaking as a fellow track creator, I don't make tracks for other people - they are not my priority. I make tracks for me; I enjoy adding details and pleasing myself with how the project progresses.

If that means it takes 1 year, or 5 years, so be it, but there is no way I would release an unfinished track just to please the track-hungry community (or some members of it, at least).

The more I read comments like the one above, the less-inclined I become to finish and release projects :(

Without wanting to put words in THL's mouth, personally speaking as a fellow track creator, I don't make tracks for other people - they are not my priority. I make tracks for me; I enjoy adding details and pleasing myself with how the project progresses.

If that means it takes 1 year, or 5 years, so be it, but there is no way I would release an unfinished track just to please the track-hungry community (or some members of it, at least).

The more I read comments like the one above, the less-inclined I become to finish and release projects :(
You do not have no sense of humor man? LOL

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing