Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM CLUB
Track: Curitiba
Practice: 19:00 GMT (30 minutes)
Qualification: 19:30 GMT (10 minutes)
Warm-up: No Warm up
Race: 19:40 (2x25 minutes)
Password: click here

Signup List
To signup simply press the button below and chat away in the thread below :)
[signuplist]262[/signuplist]

I for one totally get the crankiness. I am just pulling Andrew's leg.

And the excuse some guilty parties use, of "It's just a fun event anyway" just doesn't cut it for me. General driving courtesy is free - obviously some incidents can be avoided, but certain drivers spun EVERY time I came round to lap them, which is no indication of driving skill, but rather a lack of practice, which is, well, un-courteous.

A thought:

I know of Racedepartment's attitude towards club races. But I think it would be beneficial to differentiate between "Special events" and normal club races. "Special events" being long races such as this, or tough tracks/cars. The rules for club races are fine. But maybe we should use the 107% system that Andrew mentioned, for Special Events. Hard to say how to enforce it though...
Maybe instead of the 107% system, each driver will be required to provide a session log, showing he did at least one practice session of 30 minutes. It won't even require file sharing - we could just paste the text onto the proper thread.

@Steve Sperry
You probably have already concluded this yourself, but you did ask us to pick at your driving, so here is my main and only point:
If you are chasing someone into the braking zone, and you are not at least somewhat alongside him before breaking, you should either a) Keep a safe distance (consider these factors: DRS, draft, human reaction time, possibility of other driver braking early, etc), or b) go on the inside line (or whichever line the car in front isn't on). The point of (b) being, you might be able to outbreak the guy in front into the corner. A move often called "dive bombing", but if done right, and without aggression, is a perfectly good move (That is, if you can outbreak the guy into the corner, and maintain the line you are on throughout the corner, without pushing the other guy off the track because you came in too fast (or "dive-bombed")). In this case, you were way too close for comfort in the braking zone, even if Andrew did break a touch early. Another thing: When chasing someone into a corner, it's better to just let off the gas before you brake. You don't lose any time doing that, and it is the safest way to follow a driver into a corner without running into the back of him. I believe in the movie "Grand Prix", there was a scene where the driver explained this tactic.
Bear in mind, this was your first race (If I understood correctly). While I was way to scared on my first race to be so close to other drivers in the braking zone, it is perfectly acceptable that you did, considering. The important thing is to better yourself and learn from mistakes, as you've mentioned!
Hope to see you again in the races!
@Andrew James
Their will always be spins, crashes etc. especially with these type of cars, however 107% rule defeats the object of 'Club racing' IMO. (Its race-craft/fun etc as opposed to speed). Providing a session log is one way or maybe enforcing all participants to be on track for the start of an official 30-40mins practice session before going into qual/race?? Then everyone will get a feel for who's on track, the speed, the consistency and of course advice on hand before Qual/race?? .......Just another idea to throw into the ring!!

I for one totally get the crankiness. I am just pulling Andrew's leg.

And the excuse some guilty parties use, of "It's just a fun event anyway" just doesn't cut it for me. General driving courtesy is free - obviously some incidents can be avoided, but certain drivers spun EVERY time I came round to lap them, which is no indication of driving skill, but rather a lack of practice, which is, well, un-courteous.

@Dewald Nel And I think that those certain drivers, wether new or nervous or lacking in practise and skill would bennefit from being able to use stability aids, TC etc in club races. They will learn, as you say, the most important aspect, race craft without constantly spinning out and crashing etc. Keep the realistic and damned hard driving modes for league racing.
Not everyone is dedicated to practice and technique to keep these cars on track lap after lap, but they should be allowed to enter races to push themselves in my opinion and drive with the courtesy and ettiquette we crave without feeling that the fast boys are going to be passing them any second and thus paniking themselves into a spin.
This is where TS comes into play and name tags on. I agree with that hence why I have recently just purchased a dedicated headset so I can hear the aliens yelling at me to get out of the way. ;) ;)

@Dewald Nel And I think that those certain drivers, wether new or nervous or lacking in practise and skill would bennefit from being able to use stability aids, TC etc in club races. They will learn, as you say, the most important aspect, race craft without constantly spinning out and crashing etc. Keep the realistic and damned hard driving modes for league racing.
Not everyone is dedicated to practice and technique to keep these cars on track lap after lap, but they should be allowed to enter races to push themselves in my opinion and drive with the courtesy and ettiquette we crave without feeling that the fast boys are going to be passing them any second and thus paniking themselves into a spin.
This is where TS comes into play and name tags on. I agree with that hence why I have recently just purchased a dedicated headset so I can hear the aliens yelling at me to get out of the way. ;) ;)

Nah. Driving aids are just holding you back from reaching your true potential.

How did I learn to drive without assists? That's right, @James Chant invited me to a 1994 f1 race about 2.5 years ago, and little did I know it would be without assists, after I had been driving with all assists on up to that stage.

And today I look back at this as the single most significant moment in my gaming history ever. It taught me that even I could drive without these things, and since then I've just wanted more and more of it. And I truly believe it made me a better sim racer, to be thrown into the deep end.

So, honestly, less assists = better.

How did I learn to drive without assists? That's right, @James Chant invited me to a 1994 f1 race about 2.5 years ago, and little did I know it would be without assists, after I had been driving with all assists on up to that stage.

And today I look back at this as the single most significant moment in my gaming history ever. It taught me that even I could drive without these things, and since then I've just wanted more and more of it. And I truly believe it made me a better sim racer, to be thrown into the deep end.

I agree from a personal driver standpoint, but this is still club racing and I believe that from a club point of view we should encourage assists not discourage. It is still about fun and if people feel that having assists on will enable them to join us we should encourage them. Not make them feel lesser, all in the club are important.:thumbsup:

@Dewald Nel So what? What is the problem with allowing others to use them. You are obviously faster without aids, so why not allow others the choice? They might not actually want to get to your supreme proffessional level. I have no problem racing against people using aids if that's what they are comfortable with.
So honestly, less assists = better for you. You mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back