Online lags

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Did some extensive testing with Ramon tonight and noticed that on most servers, including our own, you have some weird lags all the time.:
- cars suddenly crash into objects that are not their
- pings go from very high to sub zero
- hickups so now and then

Is there a cure for this?

The netcode should be pretty solid with beta 2/3. I don't know how 3/3 is, perhaps it's gotten worse?

The only real issue there was, was about cars hiting eachother while there was still some visible distance between them, due to the collision box. NKP is extremely sensitive to well-setup servers and bandwith/ping. One client with bad ping/packetloss etc can mess up the server.

I wouldn't read too much into the ping stats in game.

This i found on the nkpro website:

Multiplayer performance
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. nKPro v1.01 uses quite some FPS online. Make sure you have over 80FPS offline in order to have proper FPS in a multiplayer session with a full field.
2. Before connecting to a multiplayer session, disable all non-required running processes in Windows, like MSN, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer.
3. Put the texture quality, level of detail (LOD) and visibility to minimum levels in your Video options in your nKPro Windows menu to maximize performance.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Disable 'data logger' under 'Car setup' -> 'AIM' if you don't use it during a multiplayer session.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

This i found on the nkpro website:

Multiplayer performance
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. nKPro v1.01 uses quite some FPS online. Make sure you have over 80FPS offline in order to have proper FPS in a multiplayer session with a full field.
2. Before connecting to a multiplayer session, disable all non-required running processes in Windows, like MSN, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer.
3. Put the texture quality, level of detail (LOD) and visibility to minimum levels in your Video options in your nKPro Windows menu to maximize performance.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Disable 'data logger' under 'Car setup' -> 'AIM' if you don't use it during a multiplayer session.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

That still on their site? It almost 4 year old information, (v1.01) none of which is really relevant apart from #2 which is basic knowledge for any online gaming.

The main culprits for lag on servers are:- Badly set up servers, people on wireless connections and people using p2p whilst driving.

I was driving with Ramon the other day and both of us have a pretty excellent connection, though we collided a few times in a very nasty way without even being bumper-to-bumper.

Didnt have those lags with 2/3 install i realize now.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%